Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 3:32pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « ATIVAN »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   ATIVAN
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: ATIVAN  (Read 2450 times)
GodHelpMe
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

ATIVAN
« on: Oct 9th, 2007, 5:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I was just curious if anyone has tried 2mg of ativan.I personaly dont see it working but a friend of mine who is a chemist in the sports supplement field says that when he feels one comeing on he takes 2mg ativan and 400mg caffeine anhydrous and it knocks them right out. Im not so sure he has the cluster attacks but he says he does and i guess he would know better than anyone. Personally i think the caffeine would take to long to kick in considering he is talking about pill form.I know ativan can kick in within 15 minutes if dosed under your tongue...I have a script for it but am affraid to take it during a cluster in fear it will get worse.
IP Logged
Lizzie2
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"L'Chaim"~Hebre w Toast~"To Life"

Lizzie52004  
Email

Re: ATIVAN
« Reply #1 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 5:46pm »

If your friend actually does have CH, then I'd be wiling to bet that the caffeine does more than the ativan.  The ativan might help in terms of keeping calm and not completely freaking out due to the pain, which could help it not reach such severe levels for SOME people, but I doubt it would actually help the headache attack.  I know that when I get  very anxious and worked up during an attack, that makes it even worse.  So if I were to take ativan during that time (which I never have done) that might hold down the anxiety/panic bit and maybe the attack wouldn't be quite so bad, but I don't really know.  Ativan is not a mainstream treatment of CH by any means.  Think of how many hits we all have - couldn't be taking 2mg of ativan 5 times a day!  I would think that could only be done at most once a day....

Have you tried other routes of aborting attacks?  I think there are a lot more proven/better things out there than trying ativan, but that is just my opinion!!  I did take it at night for the better part of a year at 1mg doses, but just to help sleep, and it never prevented night attacks for me....

PF wishes,
Carrie Smiley
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 5:49pm »

Completely agree with Carrie
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
GodHelpMe
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 5:52pm »

I was thinking exactly the same thing.Although im affraid my panic and axiety goes so high during a cluster that ativan wouldnt even touch it.

As far as other abortives the only thing ive tried is the monster energy drink(which i did last night) it seemed to stop it. I had a really bad shadow while lifting weights last night  so i slammed a Monster and I still had a slight shadow but it never amounted to anything.I also take verapamil 480mg a day. It seems to work at preventing most of the time.
IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 9th, 2007, 7:09pm »

If you want the mainline treatments:

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 7:33am »

on Oct 9th, 2007, 5:52pm, GodHelpMe wrote:
I was thinking exactly the same thing.Although im affraid my panic and axiety goes so high during a cluster that ativan wouldnt even touch it.

I think you'd be surprised. Ativan is some mighty powerful chemistry.

Quote:
As far as other abortives the only thing ive tried is the monster energy drink(which i did last night) it seemed to stop it. I had a really bad shadow while lifting weights last night  so i slammed a Monster and I still had a slight shadow but it never amounted to anything.I also take verapamil 480mg a day. It seems to work at preventing most of the time.

Watch it with the energy drinks while taking verapamil. I remember reading that some studies have shown this combination to be extremely risky in some patients.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
GodHelpMe
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 1:25pm »

Thanks for the Headsup BrewCrew. You wouldnt happen to remember where you read that would you?
THat kinda freaks me out.Im a competitive power lifter and tend to drink those quite often throughout the week when im training, and i also take verapamil year round due to my hypertension....Looks like its off to google for me..lol Grin
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #7 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 2:04pm »

No, but I do remember Carl brought it to the board's attention (he has a strange screen name where he uses different characters to make his name look like Blacksheep).
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
GodHelpMe
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Oct 10th, 2007, 2:07pm »

Thanks...Im thinking takeing the 2 together greatly increases your blood serum levels of the caffeine just a guess but that seems to be the problem with alot of interactions with verapamil.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss