Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex reaction? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex reaction?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex reaction?  (Read 732 times)
MJ-bos
New Board Newbie
USA 

Imitrex reaction?
« on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:21pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all - newbie here (2nd post!) - and newbie to Imitrex too.

I am tapering down from Prednisone (from 60mg/dy 10 days ago to 20mg/dy) and am also taking Verapamil.  

I've had a shadow haunting me today and decided to go ahead and do my first Imitrex shot (in my thigh, full auto-injector).

While it did knock the shadow out - I have an "equal sign" rash / tenderness (more tender than rash, but a little like a subnurn?) on the back of my neck now... two horizontal lines about 2" long by 1/2" wide. It's the weirdest thing - right on the collar line.  I'm going to mention it to my neuro tomorrow, but thought I'd throw it out here to see if anyone else has had any similar kind of experience?

I'm going to try the Imitrex modification trick next time- I don't think I need the full dose as this time I ended up  in bed for a few hours (tingling, tightness, etc.).  

Thanks in advance for any input-  
MJ
IP Logged

"Life is a banquet...and most poor suckers are starving to death."
chewy

Email

Re: Imitrex reaction?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 9:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Hey there MJ. What part of Boston are you from?
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 9:36pm »

on Oct 2nd, 2007, 9:15pm, chewy wrote:
Hey there MJ. What part of Boston are you from?

I'll second that  Grin
IP Logged
MJ-bos
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:32am »

Hey guys - I'm in Arlington (E. Arlington to be exact)... Chicago originally. Are there a lot of Bostonians around here?
IP Logged

MR_FLOOR
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go Cubbies  / even though they suck

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:14am »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:32am, MJ-bos wrote:
Chicago originally.

Big Cubbie fan then,are ya?

As for the rash can't help ya.The Imetrex tip I highly recommend.Good luck at your nero and GO CUBBIES.

Dave
IP Logged
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:26am »

My husband never had that reaction with Imitrex, tingling, tightness yes but no rash. Was it itchy? Maybe just coincidental?

I havent heard or read anywhere about reaction like that. But it doesnt mean it cant happen. Its a good idea to check with your doc.

Painfree wishes , hope you wont need to use the injection too often.

Annette
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
MJ-bos
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:48pm »

Thx for the input - I think it much be coincidental. Strange timing, though.

As for baseball teams... I'm agnostic. I mean, everyone is a Cubs fan, that's a given Smiley It's the underdog thing.

The last year I lived in Minneapolis, the Twins won the series ... the Red Sox won in 2004 while I was living in Boston... so I don't think the cubbies can win until I move back to Chicago Smiley  

Cheers-
mj
IP Logged

southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:35pm »

I may be talking out of my ass and if so, could someone please correct me? But should you be taking Imi for shadows?  This is a very strong painkiller and whilst it def works on the beast, isn't it a bit too strong for a shadow?  I'm only saying this because of what I've been told to take by my doc.  Which is;red bull and caffeine for the mild one's and 02 of course.  If the 02 doesn't work then pop a sumatriptan tablet.  For anything above maybe a KIP 6 or if the others haven't worked inject.
If I'm wrong I would be very interested to be corrected.  it's just that taking Imi for a shadow when somethin else could have been taken that isn't as harsh as Imi should surely be considered?  I know that Imi can cause rebounds and if you need to take it every day for the beast then rebounds are the last thing on your mind.  but wouldn't it be a shame if you got rebounds for a shadow?
IP Logged

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
Helen keller
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:32pm »

on Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:32am, MJ-bos wrote:
Hey guys - I'm in Arlington (E. Arlington to be exact)... Chicago originally. Are there a lot of Bostonians around here?

We have a few to say the least  Grin

Maybe Jonny or Chewy can post a pic. Pm' me your number, next time we get together your more than welcome. Nothing like meeting someone just like you, its an instant bond  Grin

Cheers,

Sean.....................................

edit: I never heard of Cubsnation  Grin Grin Grin
« Last Edit: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:34pm by Sean_C » IP Logged
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #9 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 8:55pm »

Hi MJ.  Check your PMs.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
chewy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 8:57pm »

With 2 of our Las Vegas friends who came to visit.

IP Logged
GtrMn
New Board Newbie
USA 

Still Rockin'!

« Reply #11 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 11:01pm »

"But should you be taking Imi for shadows?  This is a very strong painkiller and whilst it def works on the beast, isn't it a bit too strong for a shadow?"  

FYI....Imitrex is not a painkiller...it's a vascular constrictor.  That's why many of us, on a full dose, get the chest tightness and tingly sensation.  And no...I wouldn't use it for shadows either.
IP Logged
MJ-bos
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 12:58pm »

Quote:
FYI....Imitrex is not a painkiller...it's a vascular constrictor.  That's why many of us, on a full dose, get the chest tightness and tingly sensation.  And no...I wouldn't use it for shadows either.

I agree about not taking it for shadows - I'm still working on getting my terminology correct here.

I held off on the Imitrex until I hit what I call "the tipping point" - the point where I'm feeling it cross over from being a worrisome "oh crap, it's coming..." to that awful "oh god, it's starting" feeling (thumping starts, runny nose starts, I start to crick my neck because it's tightening up... but not quite 'put my head through a wall and scream' yet) ... ?

It did do the trick - no full emergence of the beast - but I've felt like I'm "on the verge" for the last few days. It's definitely a cycle starting.  I'm paranoid this time because the last bought was so bad (ER visit).  

It's really a different experience this time, though, having so much more understanding (and knowing, with certainty, that it's 'not just me').

Cheers,
mj
« Last Edit: Oct 4th, 2007, 12:59pm by MJ-bos » IP Logged

southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 4:40pm »

That makes sense Mj-bos.  When I first came on the site I too got shadows mixed up.  I also had a wrong perception of the KIp scale as I was seeing KIP 1 as the beginning of the pain and making a gradual raise instead of  it being "life is beautiful" etc.  I was experiencing a KIP 6 or 7 and describing it as a 4 or 5.  if you feel you are going to edge then give yourself a shot.  That's what it's there for.
IP Logged

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
Helen keller
MJ-bos
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 1:42am »

Great insight on the KIP scale!  

I'm guessing we - as a group who have experienced so many real 9's and 10's - may have trouble differentiating between 3-6 (that's my gray area, at least!).

I did discover this last week while traveling that airplanes ratchet me up a few notches. Can't tell if it's the air or altitude change, but luckily I was able to manage it with just two excederin.  

Cheers,
Marc
IP Logged

MJ-bos
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 5:56pm »

Huh Well I'll be darned...  Huh

I took 1/2 of a 6mg vial (using the "Imitrix trick" documented here- which has convinced me to get some single-use needles from my diabetic sister-in-law) to knock-out a beast - this one was definitely blossoming and I think I now feel better about knowing "when to say when."

Good news - beast knocked out.

Bad news - neck rash.

This is the weirdest thing - not quite the same "equal sign" as I got last time, but definitely a line, irritated, and the best way I can describe it as it "feels subnurned."

I really like that the Imitrix knocks out the beast- what I don't like is the tightening, metallic taste, and this odd rash. At least the side effects wore off in about an hour.  

My Neuro is upping my Verapamil from 240 to 360/day for a few months until we get through this cycle (then taper off). I'm also looking into O2.

Cheers,
mj
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss