Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 1st, 2024, 5:35am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « medications »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   medications
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: medications  (Read 438 times)
retrosniffles
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

medications
« on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 8:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey there. I just went to a new GP and he new his stuff.  I told him my symptoms and he told me they were cluster headaches. I was surprised about this because of the stories I've read here.  But he reffered me to a neurologist who specializes in headaches. Sweet!!

But anyway, he gave me some meds (which i am not fond of taking).  Can I get feedback if any of these worked for you and if there was any bad side effects. Or if i shouldn't even bother.

Topamax
Relpax
Axert

Thanks.  
If any of these have done nothing for you or made you feel weird, please tell me.  I'm not a fan of the meds.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: medications
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 9:11pm »

Many here call topomax, "dopeymax"  
It is used by some as a preventative medication.
DO NOT take the other 2 within 24 hours of eachother.
They are triptans which are powerful vasoconstricting. The 2 different brands have different half lives and one does not know what the limit is so please be careful because one could suffer a cardiac event.
In addition, they are not the typical triptans that are perscribed for us as they are slower acting.

If you are not on any meds or prefer to not use ,here are Some tricks that I used to use and sometimes still do:  

*Wrapping a bandana tightly around my skull (be careful)  
*Filling a sink with scaulding water creating a steam bath and placing my head over it with a towel covering  
it.  
*Going from Steam to Frigid shower.  
*Standing infront of A/C  
*Icepacks or frozen veggies on the back of the neck or eye  
*Tons of STRONG coffee.  

If you do have the "typical" wake you up in the middle of the night horrors then.... Melatonin might be very helpful  
Many of us (myself included) have found that taking 6-9mg (some take more) about a 1/2 hour to 45minutes prior to bed have Knocked out the night visits and can finally get sleep.  

Some people report that it seems to make them worse....The fact is that we are all different and respond differently to everything therefore it may or may not...  

The one thing I will tell you as far as my experience was that I had to stick with it...The first night I took melatonin, I was awoken with a doozy only I was too groggy to find my O2 .....It got a lot better for me....I then slept through the night but would get slammed about 1/2 hour after waking up....kinda like knocking the beast off schedule.....then again I was peaking and the cycle had been all over the place with no real pattern.  
I stayed with melatonin and have had decent sleep overall.  

It may help and it is natural with not too many sideeffects....also ask your doctor b/c if there are any side effects or contraindications...I think they have to do with mild depression.....  

If not some people find Benadryl effective.

As far as meds go....

This is a great resource to know like the back of your hand...print it out and give it to the doc  

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf  

It will present the appropriate treatments that you should seek and your doctor should know!!!  

If you want an abortive with the least amount of side-effects O2 should not only be requested but demanded from your doctor!!!

http://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

I have also used Zyprexa as an abortive and have found it to work (for me) as fast as Imitrex and without the "hangover"  

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1120904753  

Hang in there my new friend!!!

Eric

PS read the helpful hints thread and you will be taken on a journey through decades of tried and true tricks
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
retrosniffles
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:43am »

Thanks for the help, the caffiene thing does alright when I'm at work, which i tried this morning, because I can't do anything else and everyone thinks I'm nuts.  It shortened them down to 20 mins.  I just tell them I have stomach problems because they accept that better than letting me dissappear for a headache, Jerks  Angry.

I feel like Arnold Shwartenager in Total recal when hes pulling that red tracking device out of his skull. I think I make the same faces too.  Embarassed
IP Logged
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:57pm »

Hey there!!

I was on topomax for a while (only 150 mg.). Told the doc I had to get off it when I fell asleep at the wheel and almost crashed the work truck and trailer! I personally hated it! Made me sooo sleepy, and just feel lethargic. Went to a neuro who was trying to talk me into getting up to 300 mg. per day, and "see how high we can go from there".  He decided to stop treating me after I refused to do it.  I guess I was supposed to stop working so I could sleep 20 hours a day!  laugh  
   Anyway.... Check out some of the energy drinks with taurine AND caffeine. They seem to work better for a lot of us than just caffeine alone.

Best of luck, and pain free wishes!!

Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 9:21pm »

My daughter (22 yrs old) uses 200 mg. Topomax and is very successful with it. She does seem to be in the minority. If you use it, take it slow. It seems the side effects are quite intense the first 10 days if it's going to be intolerable. It's really been a godsend for her. Topomax has a hot line too that is real helpful.

Relpax has stopped my migraines. Lisa uses this too for CH in emergencies and in combination with RedBull. She has a tablet taped to the bottom of a redbull that she keeps in her purse. I have been told relpax isn't as fast as the shots and nasal sprays but works faster than the other tablets. I think the redbull gets it going too. Oxygen is her best abortive but the relpax works well in emergencies.

Good luck!! Just stick with it and you will find something. What works for one doesn't always work for another.

Charlotte
IP Logged
retrosniffles
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 12:23pm »

Well, Axert hasn't done anything, havent tried the relpax yet because i have to wait 24 hours.  Topomax has stopped the night ones i think because zombies don't feel pain  Tongue.  But it works and i can sleep.  Prolly tomorrow I'll try the relpax.  The day CH are still rough but a high caffeine type drink and an opened guarrana powder pill (100 mg caffeine) knock em down in time from 45 mins to 20.  
Thanks for all the help. I really appreciate it.
 I can't get into the neuro for two weeks and hopefully I can try out some O2.

IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss