Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 30th, 2024, 7:37pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Going herbal this cycle.. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Going herbal this cycle..
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Going herbal this cycle..  (Read 637 times)
justthe2ofus
New Board Newbie
USA 

Going herbal this cycle..
« on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 6:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm just now starting my cycle, and REALLY want to try and avoid the pred. verap.  and trex routine...Any advice as to what has the best results with herbal? I've read some about the Melatonin and Kudzu...any others or any paticular combos? I'm sure there is probably already a post about this somewhere so if you can maybe point me in the right direction...

Thanks...trying to stay optomistic Wink
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: Going herbal this cycle..
« Reply #1 on: Oct 2nd, 2007, 7:51pm »

If you want to avoid the Trex, consider using oxygen to abort.  When used with a Clustermasx, it can be really effective.  You might also try ginger tea.  If you can handle caffeine, strong coffee, caffeinated energy drinks like Redbull, or even caffeine tablets can help a lot too.   There are others here who can give you advice about kudzu.

Good luck.
Patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:21am »

Some have found taking magnesium, calcium and taurine supplements help too. However, you would need to have your blood tested for renal ( kidney ) functions and electrolytes first to be on the safe side.  

Water x 3 treatment has also been effective for many. There is a link to it on the left hand side.

The circulation technique is harder to do but is quite effective for some people here. You can PM Charlie for that.

Ice applied to the neck/head/ face during a hit, using hot or cold showers, running vigorously ... are all natural and helpful as some have found.  

Out of them all, oxygen is still the best and the quickest though.  

Painfree wishes,

Annette
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
clusterwife
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:44am »

My hubby kevin swears by exercise.  He says that as long as he exercises, the beast can't catch  him.  He digs in the pond, builds on his rollercoaster in the back, picks up sticks and branches, scoops doggie doo, mows,  cuts weeds with a sickle, and on.  He lives on caffiene, esp. cherry pepsi.  He went almost 2 years "med" free.  Now he is on lyrica with good, not great, results.  The exercise helps, that's all I know,  Leah.
IP Logged

Maybe through me he can find the truth, for I will always try.
VinceFromOhio
New Board Newbie
USA 

Not tonight - I have a headache

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 10:49am »

I've not been here to the CH site since my last bout, which concluded around May of '06.  I started again around 2 weeks ago and I was drawn to this posting because I've been wondering if anyone has had success with herbs or homeopathic remedies.

Last night, I tried "Head On" for the first time and actually found it to be somewhat effective....more preventative than an instant remedy. I applied it before bedtime and although I did wake up with a monster, it seemed to be more controllable...plus I got rid of it faster. So I smeared a bunch more of the stuff on before I laid back down. Same result....I was up again pacing a couple hours later, but it was far less severe than it had been the previous three or four nights.

Has anyone else tried this stuff? I chose the migraine formula...it's quite cool-feeling and smells a bit like Vicks Vaporub. I smeared it all over my forehead and down both temples, although my clusters are always on the right. I also tried some down the right side of my neck. Based on one night's experience, it seemed to help....and ANY help is welcome right now - I haven't been getting hardly any sleep since this cluster started.

This is my 3rd episode swearing off meds. I've taken virtually EVERY prescription drug ever associated with CH. While some actually helped a little, the small amounts of relief were never worth the side effects - especially messing around with large doses of Prednisone and Verapamil.
IP Logged

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 12:17pm »

check out clusterbusters.com, especially the part about rc seeds.  I have had success as have many others here.  search posts for rc seeds and you will find a lot of info.
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 1:01pm »

Check out 02 and a clustermasx. It is more likely if your starting your episode that it's too late for experimental use of alternatives. Study the clusterbuster site and get your alternative guns loaded for next time. By then you will know more about it. This will make for better results. Hang tough and kick demon butt.
all the best Grin
thebbz
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 4:31pm »

Oxygen is to me the prime abortive, at high rate, 15 lpm minimum, with a non re-breather mask.  It requires a prescription in the US, but, I use welder's.  It's the same 02.

Also recommend Clusterbusters.  I also use rc seeds as not only an abortive for a CH hit, but as an abortive for a CH cycle.  Has worked very successfully for me.

Sandy
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 3rd, 2007, 7:46pm »

Welcome!!

I, too, am trying to avoid all the meds. Right at the beginning of my cycle, I started using the RC seeds, and have had NO significant headaches since!! In fact, I've not even had any shadows for a week or two now! This is one treatment I highly reccommend! Follow some of the advice given already, and check out the clusterbusters site. The "LSA frequently asked questions" section has a lot of info on the seeds- how to use, where to get, what they are, etc.... Definately a good time to look into them before your cycle gets really set it.

Best of luck, and pain free wishes to you!!

Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
justthe2ofus
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Oct 4th, 2007, 7:19pm »

Thanks for all of the replies. So far, I am trying Redbull. I started getting a bad hit about 5am yesterday morn. and made me a strong cup of coffee around 6:30-7 ish...half way into the cup it started dropping down a notch.  And by a notch I mean more bearable, a little less intense.  We all know a notch means all the difference in the world at times! I could at least open my right eye up without the stabbing pain in my temple. So I started (forcing myself) to get ready to go pay bills, stopped and got a Redbull at the store, quickly downed it and *poof* the headache was gone. Not even a shadow lingering. I was slightly amazed, but hopeful, so I went to Wal-Mart and bought a 4-pack. Drunk one around 2:30 when I felt another shadow...it went away again. I slept through the night, woke with no CH today...Drunk a Redbull when I got up, just in case, went all day with no CH.  I have had what I call my typical daily stress HA.  Got a shadow right now, so I'm keeping my "eye" on it so to speak. I haven't eaten today and I think my blood sugar is low because I've got the shakes, so I'm waiting till the last minute to down the "Bull".  I'm really crossing my fingers on this one though, at least it gives me hope for the moment. If something as easy as a Redbull works, it'll be such a blessing. I'll keep you all posted on this.  

As for the clusterbusters site, I did alot of reading up on it last night. I am very interested in this, and came really close to ordering, but I'm a little on the skitish side. I'm this way with all meds really, I hate side effects and such.  I was scared a couple of nights ago about taking something as minor Melatonin, so I was up researching it for about an hour lol.  But I def. am considering the seed treatment.  

Now, for the O2...my doc tried to prescribe me this last cycle but my state insurance at the time wouldn't cover it.  I now have no insurance, and don't think I can afford this option...Does anyone happen to know just how much out of pocket this will cost? And maybe any cheaper method of obtaining it?  

I really appreciate everyones help and replies. You guys/gals are great!

PF wishes to all! Smiley
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss