Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 8th, 2024, 4:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Bengay is a MIRACLE! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Bengay is a MIRACLE!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Bengay is a MIRACLE!  (Read 15418 times)
scottg
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Bengay is a MIRACLE!
« on: Sep 26th, 2007, 2:48pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hey everyone.  I've suffered from cluster headaches for 16 years now, and I have found out a cheap, quick fix from the awful pain that come with these.  My new bride and myself have traveled to see her parents this week.  I started to get my dose of headaches about a week ago, they usually last for at least a month, so I have been feeling lousy all of the time that we are here.  My father in law saw me getting a nasty headache last night and said he had gotten headaches like this in the past.  He gave me some ultra strength Bengay, and told me to rub it above my eyebrows and around the side of my eyes.  I also put some on my neck where my muscles get so tight when I get an attack.  

The only thing that has even reduced my pain was Imitrix.  I will not take that anymore because of the side effects (sexual) and the price.  The last 3 years, I have just endured the pain and suffered greatly.

Let me tell you that the instance I put the Bengay on those spots, the pain stopped IMMEDIATELY!  I was floored that something so simple and inexpensive would take away such devastating pain.  I still get the headaches in the same frequency and duration, but no more pain, thank God!  It doesn't prevent but it sure does take the pain away.

I just wanted to share this with you all, and I hope that this method will relieve a lot of pain from a lot of you.

My life is back in my hands finally,
Scott G.
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: Bengay is a MIRACLE!
« Reply #1 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 2:52pm »

So now Little Elvis stands at attention but you smell like a locker room?

Glad it works for ya! Whatever it takes!
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
malkidm

Email

« Reply #2 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 2:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Wow!  I'm glad that worked for you!  I'll have to give it a try.  At this point, I'm experimenting with different "cheap" techniques (see bubble gum & water post).  I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks for your 2 cents!

David
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #3 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 3:44pm »

Wow!!!! That's friggin' amazin'!
Have you ever tried putting a little Ben Gay on the inside of your underwear? - that'll help what ails ya too.

Just what were the "sexual side effects" from Imitrex? Never seen any myself. I just typically didn't really feel like doing it during or right after a cluster headache. Scratch that, make that only just during the headache. Headache's gone and the same endless thoughtloop gets hung back on the projector.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 4:08pm »

Scott:

Anything that helps without harming ourselves (or others) is ok with me, but I doubt that your method would help most people.  Beware of getting that stuff in your eyes or mucus membranes....

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #5 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 4:09pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 3:44pm, seasonalboomer wrote:
Wow!!!! That's friggin' amazin'!
Have you ever tried putting a little Ben Gay on the inside of your underwear? - that'll help what ails ya too.

Just what were the "sexual side effects" from Imitrex? Never seen any myself. I just typically didn't really feel like doing it during or right after a cluster headache. Scratch that, make that only just during the headache. Headache's gone and the same endless thoughtloop gets hung back on the projector.

Scott
what he said kids.
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Ctech
New Board Junior
USA 

I love Beer 12pk - Buds#1!

« Reply #6 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 6:51pm »

If someone has a trick that might help a fellow cluster head I am all ears Wink even if it only helps one person it is worth saying.

If I think someone is sincere about helping I am not going to knock'em.

Thanks Scott, hang around we need all the help we can get

P.S (don't try spanking the monkey with that stuff Grin)

-Chris
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #7 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 8:03pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 4:08pm, Ray wrote:
 Beware of getting that stuff in your eyes or mucus membranes....

Ditto that.

I used Ben-Gay on my forehead and around my left eye--once.  I was a little desperate.  

See, I have a tendency to grind away at the old eyeball when I'm getting hit, and...well I'm sure you can guess the rest.

Very unpleasant.  Not to mention that it didn't stop the hit--gave it a sort of nasty glow, but it didn't go away.  YMMV, I suppose, but I won't try that again.

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 8:28pm »

Geeze. All these years of thrashing pain, sleepless weeks, hospital stays, injections, etc etc. all due to the most painful condition known to man and all I needed was little Ben Gay.  

Somebody should contact all those medical people doing intese research and clinical trial and let them know they can stop now we are OK.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 8:29pm by chewy » IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 8:50pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 6:51pm, Ctech wrote:
If someone has a trick that might help a fellow cluster head I am all ears Wink even if it only helps one person it is worth saying.

If I think someone is sincere about helping I am not going to knock'em.

-Chris

But, what if they aren't? Have you ever got Ben Gay in your eye? Or around membranes? You wonder whether you've seriously F'ed up and you think you're going to go blind and it scares you. You've already got a CH, you're desperate and all of sudden you're afraid that in your desperation you didn't follow some idiot's directions correctly for using Ben Gay for CH. So, no, I believe that when someone's first post proclaims Ben Gay as a miracle, it's worth some pretty heavy duty scrutiny - and that scrutiny might involve making him stand up for his opinion.  And if I think there's a chance it could be a couple of geeky college kids screwing around on internet med boards trying to get people to do stupid shit to themselves in their desperation -- I'm going to push a button or two and see if they stand up to be counted.

That's what say I.

Scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
chewy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 8:53pm »

Quote:
That's what say I.

And said it well.
IP Logged
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:06pm »

In the defence of desparate, stupid things to try....

I used Zostrix cream on my temple and forehead, on a doctor's advice (don't see that one any more!) in an attempt to treat cluster headaches.  I don't know about you all, but in the midst of a CH, I sweat buckets.  First thing that happened was I got that crap in my eye.  It almost made me forget about the CH....NOT QUITE THOUGH!

I also tried a TENS unit on my head, that made me twitch in time with dancing with the BEAST.  

If you want my opinion, DON'T DO IT!!!!

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
ski2k
New Board Old Timer
USA 

skipolak  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:16pm »

IF this is a legit posting, and IF Bengay really worked for you, I have a suggestion.
   Go to your nearest "herbal remedy" store, and try to find Dragon Balm. It comes in (I think) 2 kinds, White and Red. It works a LOT better that Bengay or Icyhot, and you only need a tiny amount for it to work. For me, that kind of stuff doesn't do anything for my ch, but it helps out immensely with the pain and tension in my neck and shoulders after getting a few hits. I've tried both Bengay and Icyhot for neck/shoulders, but that Dragon Balm beats them both hands down. It helps clear the sinuses too! (pretty strong stuff)

Best of luck,
Adam
IP Logged

Here's where I got my RC (Rivea Corymbosa)seeds: I am Shaman
https://www.iamshaman.net/affiliatewiz/aw.aspx?A=1022&Task=Click
Ctech
New Board Junior
USA 

I love Beer 12pk - Buds#1!

« Reply #13 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 9:48pm »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 8:50pm, seasonalboomer wrote:

But, what if they aren't? Have you ever got Ben Gay in your eye? Or around membranes? You wonder whether you've seriously F'ed up and you think you're going to go blind and it scares you. You've already got a CH, you're desperate and all of sudden you're afraid that in your desperation you didn't follow some idiot's directions correctly for using Ben Gay for CH. So, no, I believe that when someone's first post proclaims Ben Gay as a miracle, it's worth some pretty heavy duty scrutiny - and that scrutiny might involve making him stand up for his opinion.  And if I think there's a chance it could be a couple of geeky college kids screwing around on internet med boards trying to get people to do stupid shit to themselves in their desperation -- I'm going to push a button or two and see if they stand up to be counted.

That's what say I.

Scott

Maybe it is a prank, I don't know? And I really don't care about some dumb college kid making me do something stupid (because I can think for myself).  

Wasn't it a dumb college kid that did acid and said that it helped his CH? I am sure some people thought that he was full of shit to, just trying to get us poor mindless CH'ers high Wink

Now, I'm not comparing the two and I don't think that it is going to help, I am just saying if it is someone sincere I don't want to run them away from the only place that CH'ers have.

If it is a prank then at least someone else out there has heard of CH is the way I see it.

I have heard of alot of crazy tricks on this board besides this one - some I might try, and some I will not.

-Chris

IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:05pm »

Ben Gay is not a miracle.
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #15 on: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:19pm »

Quote:
Bengay is a MIRACLE!

And what if this could have been the third miracle that may have put Mother Theresa into sainthood?  Where was this miracle then?  

I will sometimes use icepacks as a distraction.  Even if this suggestion happens to be comparably effective mushed into the hair around the temple and repeatedly very cautiously around an eye, I'll still use ice, but I hesitate to say "give it a try and let us know."  
  Success for this with clusters coming to the sufferers here at this point seems unlikely considering the many types of help tried already and attested to by people that were far more than first time posters.
« Last Edit: Sep 26th, 2007, 10:27pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
phil_h
New Board Old Timer
USA 

one day at a time , one headache at a time.....

phh252
Email

« Reply #16 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 12:24am »

Hell I guess I might try anything once..............and it didn't work for me this evening... I think it made everything worse.....won't try it again...... But clearly what works for some , doesn't necessarily work for others......Trust me , if this helped me even alittle I'd repeat it often.......... If it works for you,stay with it.... Thanks for sharing...... I bet I've been asked 100 x's if I ever tried bengay....now I can say , yes it didn't work for me.. I'll add it to the list of 50 other things that work for some or for most , that didn't help me...... Quest continues...............   phil h    yikes yikes yikes
IP Logged

Angels are among us ........beasts beware !!!!!!
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #17 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 12:58am »

on Sep 27th, 2007, 12:24am, phil_h wrote:
Hell I guess I might try anything once..............and it didn't work for me this evening... I think it made everything worse.....won't try it again......

I'm sorry for your experiment.

Told ya.  
 Tongue

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 6:27am »

on Sep 26th, 2007, 10:19pm, Kevin_M wrote:
 Success for this with clusters coming to the sufferers here at this point seems unlikely considering the many types of help tried already and attested to by people that were far more than first time posters.

I could try to say it better than you have here Kevin, but why try.

(now let's hear all the cries for how sometimes the best ideas come from first time posters -- "what if Jesus was a first time poster, would we ignore him him because his post tally was 1?", "what if Dr. Goadsby showed up one day under an alias and started posting, would we ignore him?"Wink
« Last Edit: Sep 27th, 2007, 6:50am by seasonalboomer » IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Annette
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Veni Vidi Velcro

Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 7:01am »

Bengay/Tiger Balm/Dragon Balm ....etc contain methyl salicylate, menthol and maybe camphor.

Methyl salicylate is similar to the active chemicals in aspirin. Its used for mild pain and as a mild anti-inflammatory.

If Bengal works for you, so should a couple of aspirins, plus maybe some menthol lollies.  

I am not here to diagnose people but I would say that if your headaches can be relieved immediately and reliably by a couple of menthol flavoured aspirins then I doubt very much that you have clusterheadaches, or even migraines.

Furthermore, methyl salicylate is toxic if over used.  

Annette
IP Logged

Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself; but talent instantly recognizes genius.
Arthur Conan Doyle
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 7:18am »

I had a friend on the board say to me once "I would eat a two day old roadkill rat without ketchup if I knew it would make the pain go away" and I agree 100% with that, as I would do the same.

For now I will stick with my o2 and Verapamil as this cocktail works for me and it does not make me smell bad either. Shocked

Barry
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #21 on: Sep 27th, 2007, 10:21am »

I have used Tiger Balm on my temples and forehead on numerous occasions to ease the pain of a mild ch (k1 or k2), mild ha or shadow, but once the big one kicks in there is no way it will stop it. That's when I reach for the imigran injection.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
VinceFromOhio
New Board Newbie
USA 

Not tonight - I have a headache

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 5:26pm »

OK, I tried the "Bengay" thing.  It didn't abort a hit, but suddenly I find I'm winking at men in parking lots.

Just kidding. Couldn't help it.Tongue

Actually, it really helps a lot when you rub it on down the right side of the back of your neck...and down your right shoulder. These are areas that, in my case, can help ease the pain of a hit when massaged during attack. The Bengay makes these areas feel cool, which seems to help thwart an attack.

HOWEVER.....there's a side-effect, which is why I'm interested in finding a "menthol-only" topical cream. Bengay contains LOTS of rubbing alcohol, which could easily act as a trigger. The alcohol is intended to open up your pores so the menthol can do its stuff. There are better ways to open up your pores - like lemon juice or white apple cider vinegar. I don't know about the rest of you, but ANY alcohol....whether ingested or rubbed on the body....is a total NO-NO during a cluster period.

Incidentally, I was NOT stupid enough to put Bengay on my forehead, temples, or around my eyes. EGADS!Shocked

I did, however, try "Head On" (Apply Directly To The Forehead...you know the schtick). It has the same effect as the Bengay....very cooling, etc. However, after repeated uses, it BURNED A LAYER OF SKIN OFF MY FOREHEAD. Just like chemical burns, in fact. My skin peeled and everything....just like sunburn. It's too bad, because whatever is in the stuff seemed to be helping....not as an abortive, but as a preventative measure.....basically keeping the head cool when I felt a shadow during the day, or before laying down at night. In defense of the company who makes "Head On", I don't think they had clusterheads in mind when they invented the stuff.

If the original Bengay poster is legit, I'd like to see a follow-up to this. I'm curious if it's still working for you.....if you've gone blind.....y'know.....that kind of stuff. As for your ability/lack of to become sexually aroused....

I have a 9 pill per month prescription for Imitrex. This is my very first experience with the drug. So far, I've had to use it twice. I didn't notice it having any sexual side effects, but if it DOES....well....I'm tossing the remaining 7 pills!  NOBODY TOLD ME!!!!!!!  Angry
IP Logged

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
woodeye?
New Board Newbie
USA 

CH PWNS ME!

« Reply #23 on: Oct 15th, 2007, 9:45pm »

This is my first post to this site and I will have to say, I just had a great laugh from the posts and people trying the bengay.  I almost ran to walgreens as I read it.  

"It didn't abort a hit, but suddenly I find I'm winking at men in parking lots." has got to be the funniest thing I've read in a while.  Thanks for the laughs.
IP Logged

...there was given me a thorn in my flesh, a messenger of Satan, to torment me...
schaan
New Board Veteran
USA 

My Headache Blows your Migrane Away!! :(

9923395 9923395   schaanman   schaanman
WWW Email

« Reply #24 on: Oct 16th, 2007, 12:06am »

i figure since there were no rebuttals it was a prank.

im the kind of guy you dont want to screw with,  lucky for them they can hide behind the screen.

no i didnt try it.

IP Logged

this place gives me hope when i had none.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss