Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 11:28pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Indomethacin;  Klonodine »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Indomethacin;  Klonodine
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Indomethacin;  Klonodine  (Read 1052 times)
madaline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Indomethacin;  Klonodine
« on: Aug 28th, 2007, 3:52am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Does anyone use Indocin as a preventive? I used to take it as an abortive; after about four years it stopped working. I have been off it for a few years, during which time I have tried a million different things (I am a chronic) now I am trying it as a preventive (along with  
Verapamil) and Zomig in emergencies. Also, has anyone tried Klonodine,or something like that. My doctor threw that out as a next trial if the Indo. does not work. Any experiences with the Indocin and or Klondine?   Madaline
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: Indomethacin;  Klonodine
« Reply #1 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 8:36am »

Clonodine is a blood pressure med that relaxes the blood vessels. I don't think I've heard about it being used for CH. I use it for menopausal hot flashes.

Indomethacin works great for paroxysmal hemicrania, not so much for CH.
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 12:53pm »

http://www.plainboard.com/ch/chtherapy.pdf

Here is a link to read and print and take to your doctor.  It describes preventive, transitional, abortive and surgical treatments for CH. Written by one of the better headache docs in the U.S.  (2002)

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 4:00pm »

I took it for anxiety.  I did ntohing for my ch.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
madaline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 8:04pm »

Thanks for the replies. Maybe it was not Klonidine then. I am trying the Indocin again; in 11 years, I have not been able to find something that will control the night attacks. I am exhausted! I want to work (I am a retired teacher) but need more than 1-2 hours sleep to do that. I do the caffeine (Excedrine) routine at night and that aborts the attack fairly well, but then 'sleep' flies out the window. Nani, I know you don't know me but I used to spend a lot of time on line on this website and used to read all your postings. Are you okay now? I know a year or two ago, you were going through a real bad time. I hope things have gotten better for you. PF times to all.   Madaline.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #5 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 9:14pm »

on Aug 28th, 2007, 8:04pm, madaline wrote:
I have not been able to find something that will control the night attacks. I am exhausted!

Have you tried melatonin, and oxygen?

Melatonin helps a lot of us avoid night hits. And oxygen, properly administered, helps many of us abort attacks pretty quickly. (look at the oxygen info link on the left)

Thanks for asking, Madaline. I'm actually quite good. I had a very successful 5 months using kudzu as a prevent. There is a thread on this board about it. When that failed, I got even better results with this:

www.clusterbusters.com

Look here on the boards for some other ideas, too.

I hope this cycle ends soon.

hugs, nani

IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
madaline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Aug 28th, 2007, 9:58pm »

I've taken up to 18mg. of melatonin and it just made me sleep, but did not prevent the pain from breaking through. I've tried o2 but that really did nothing for me, even had that 'rebreather' mask. Tried Lithium, Neurontin, and a number of other things; all had side effects and although my daytime attacks are much less frequent and managable with the Verapamil that I have been on for a number of years, nothing stops the night attacks. Two hours sleep is my biggest stretch. On rare occasions, I may get three. I am chronic and never get a break. I am used to it now, but it is hard when one wants to work and have a 'quality of life'. Oh well, I guess it can be worse - it could be all day too. Zomig, caffeine are my abortives, and Prednisone when the attack becomes round the clock for three days in a row.
But thanks for the suggestions and for listening.  We  keep on trying and the sharing of feelings and ideas is a wonderful booster.   Respite for all.  Madaline Kiss
IP Logged
Sandy_C
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Burn that bra!

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 4:21pm »

on Aug 28th, 2007, 9:58pm, madaline wrote:
I've tried o2 but that really did nothing for me, even had that 'rebreather' mask.

I recommend you try oxygen again, with a NON-rebreather mask, and a regulator that will go to at least 15 lpm.  I'm not sure that you had the right 02 equipment.  02 has been a Godsend to hundreds of us.

Try it again.
IP Logged

Lean on me when you're not strong
And I'll be your friend
I'll help you carry on
For it won't be long
Till I'm gonna need
Somebody to lean on
madaline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 29th, 2007, 6:04pm »

okay, the indocin did not work; now my doctor is trying me on Clonopin. Anyone with any knowledge/experience with that?  Madaline.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #9 on: Aug 30th, 2007, 4:17am »

I recall indomethacin... my UK neuro put me on it, because he wanted make sure that I have ch and not something else. It made my life hell! I got 8 hour migraines twice and ch was up the roof! Angry And then that neuro was disappointed because I didn't want to carry on taking that med! Shocked

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Saffy
New Board Junior
Wales 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Sep 5th, 2007, 4:17am »

I have been taking clonidine for my  CH for several months.  

It helps me.

It does this by slowing and turning everything down, i.e. the symptoms come on much more slowly and are muted at first so I get half a chance to sort them out.

I found taking the full dose at night gave me restless legs so I take a bigger dose in the morning.

I think it is definately worth a try!!! Wink

Saffy
IP Logged
madaline
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #11 on: Sep 6th, 2007, 5:46am »

Hi Saffy, thanks for the reply. I have been taking 25mg. for about 6 nights now and it is definitely helping so far. I still get the pain each morning, but at least I sleep for about 4-6 hours first, something that I have not done in many, many years. And the pain is aborted with Excedrin/caffeine rather quickly. My doctor says in two weeks to raise the dose to 50mg., but I will not if it continues to help with 25mg. I am also still on the Verapamil. How much Clono.do you take?  Are you on anything else? Stay well. Madaline.
IP Logged
cat1955
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

catrn755  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 6th, 2007, 3:55am »

I have been taking 0.2mg of clonidine twice a day after having a subarachnoid hemorhage and aneurysm surgeries from these ch that were untreated for so many years. I don't know of anyone else who has had this happen. I guess when your arteries continuously swell, eventually they stretch and leak or just pop. I asked my doc for something that would help to relax my arteries and hopefully keep it from happening again. 2 brain surgeries were enough for me. he gave me the clonidine and it keeps my blood pressure low. The only problem I've had with it is rebound hypertension. So now I have to keep taking it cause i have HTN.  SadWhen i am really painfull, my bp goes up, so at least the clonidine is there helping. I can't say it helps prevent CH or reduces the pain at all because I still get them but I have not had to have another surgery.  My doc also gave me a choice between elavil or indomethacin for nerve pain. I chose the elavil because of the many side effects of indomethicin and that didn't help at all and after 3 yrs of taking that, I flushed them due to unquenchable thirst and no pain relief or reduction in frequency of my headaches. But anything is worth a try.  Undecided
IP Logged
Emily
New Board Old Timer
Wales 

« Reply #13 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 9:48am »

Hello there,

I take indo as a preventative and it has had some side effects - dizziness and nausea. I've still been getting up to KIP 7s with it, but I probably haven't taken it long enough. I have been taken 2x25mg doses a day for about 2 1/2 weeks and am due to up this to 2x50mg shortly.  

However, a close friend of mine in the pharmaceuticals industry has given me a stark warning about the long term effects of this on a person's stomach. If you have any digestive problems or history of stomch ulcers, speak to your doc straight away as it probably won't be suitable. I've been told that taking it with 2 pieces of toast in the morning is not enough to line your tum! Perfect excuse for a BIG breakfast, but probably not so great for my waist line!  bigcry

Em
IP Logged

The greater the obstacle, the more glory in overcoming it.
- Moliere

sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #14 on: Oct 8th, 2007, 10:06am »

Those who take indomethacin... did your doc/neuro perscribe you some additional med to protect your stomach during the time you're taking indo?  

Because mine did. I didn't take indo for a long time, but at least I didn't get any stomach problems with that one!

I cannot recall the name of the med, though... It's been a while and my memory has always been bit too selective to my liking.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss