Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 10:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Can someone tell me about melatonin? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Can someone tell me about melatonin?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can someone tell me about melatonin?  (Read 1031 times)
brauer100
New Board Newbie
USA 

Keep the faith!

Can someone tell me about melatonin?
« on: Aug 13th, 2007, 9:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, I'm new to the website, not to clusters, but since spending time here I've read lots of people talking about taking melatonin. Can you tell me where I get it, what brand is reliable, and how much to take and is it safe to take with my Verapamil and Topamax? Any side effects? Thanks!
IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

Re: Can someone tell me about melatonin?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 9:28pm »

I bought mine at the vitamin shoppe but since my cycle ihas been over for a while (march) I don't have the bottle anymore (for the brand) They sell them at walmart, GNC, etc. I can tell you that I took 9 mg at night to help space out the night hits and help me to sleep. I really did not see any side effects other than a little drowsiness, so that is why I took it only at night. but I did help with my night hits.

Good luck Brauer100!!

Pain free wishes for you!!!

Rosy.
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 9:57pm »

Hi Brauer
Here's a little about Melatonin.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Melatonin

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Maffumatt

Email

« Reply #3 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:05pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Its a great help in knocking out some if not all of the wake me up hits. Works for some but not all, just like the rest of the drugs we use.
IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #4 on: Aug 14th, 2007, 10:48am »

I've been pf for 20 months taking a supplement called "super snooze" that has 3mg of melatonin in it and a bunch of other good stuff.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 8:21am »

I think I remember reading that you should not take melatonin if you're on verap. Keep reading and digging and find out. I don't take verap, so I can't tell for sure.

I take 9 mg 30 minutes before bedtime, and it works great. WIthout it, I would get 4-7 hits per night, starting 30 minutes after I fell asleep. With it, my first hit comes 6-7 hours after I go to sleep, so I just stay up afterwards. I ramp-down at the end of the cycle, going to 6 mg for 3 days, 3 mg for 3 days, then off completely. I buy Sundown brand, in the vitamin section of my Publix Supermarket.
« Last Edit: Aug 15th, 2007, 8:23am by marlinsfan » IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #6 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 8:34am »

I take one of these EVERY night 1-2 hours before I plan on going to sleep.  It's cheap too.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Ray
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ray and Shade

raymond759  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 10:02pm »

Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2001 Feb;5(1):83-91.Links
Treatment and management of cluster headache.Dodick DW, Capobianco DJ.
Department of Neurology, Mayo Clinic, 13400 E Shea Boulevard, Scottsdale, AZ 85259, USA. dodick.david@mayo.edu

Cluster headache is an uncommon yet well-defined neurovascular syndrome occurring in both episodic and chronic varieties. The most striking feature of cluster headache is the unmistakable circadian and circannual periodicity. Inheritance may play a role in some families. The attacks are of extreme intensity, of short duration, occur unilaterally, and are accompanied by signs and symptoms of autonomic dysfunction. In contrast to migraine, during an attack the cluster patient prefers to pace about. Attacks frequently occur at night. Although the pathophysiology of cluster headache remains to be fully elucidated, several seminal observations have recently been made. The medical treatment of cluster headache includes both acute therapy aimed at aborting individual attacks and prophylactic therapy aimed at preventing recurrent attacks during the cluster period. Agents used for acute therapy include inhalation of oxygen, sumatriptan, and dihydroergotamine. Transitional prophylaxis involves the short-term use of either corticosteroids or ergotamine derivatives. The cornerstone of maintenance prophylaxis is verapamil, yet methysergide, lithium, and divalproex sodium may also be employed. In some patients, melatonin
or topiramate may be useful adjunctive therapies.

PMID: 11252143 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

I don't have access to the entire article...

With regards,

Ray
IP Logged

You have my prayers and compassion-I'm right there with you.

Dum tempus habemus, operemur bonum
*While we have the time, let us do good*

http://www.myspace.com/rayplace
http://www.shadesgarden.com
ahigeorge
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Aug 21st, 2007, 1:09am »

I just read on MedlinePlus that Verapamil and valium decrease the melatonin in your body.
IP Logged
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Aug 22nd, 2007, 12:49am »

on Aug 21st, 2007, 1:09am, ahigeorge wrote:
I just read on MedlinePlus that Verapamil and valium decrease the melatonin in your body.

Interesting.  
May help to explain why some say it also extends a cycle.
IP Logged

MJ
Miz_D
New Board Junior
USA 

Me and my amazing hubby Steve

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12th, 2007, 6:59am »

I think I am going to try Melatonin...not much to lose. Thanks for posting this info, its been very helpful. I've read that not only can it help with night-time hits but it can also sometimes help with daytime ones. I haven't read anything that says I can't take it with Verap, anyone know different? Also, any recommendations as to whether or not to use time-release tablets verses regular?
IP Logged

My disabling chronic illness is more real than your imaginary medical expertise...
southwalessunshine
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Email

Blood PresRe: Can someone tell me about melatonin?
« Reply #11 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 4:21pm »

Just found this onwww.umm.edu/altmed/articles/melatonin

Blood Pressure Medications  

Melatonin may reduce the effectiveness of blood pressure medications like methoxamine and clonidine. In addition, medications in a class called calcium channel blockers (such as nifedipine, verapamil, diltiazem, amlodipine, nimodipine, felodipine, nisoldipine, and bepridil) may decrease melatonin levels.  

Use of Beta-Blockers (another class of high blood pressure medications including propranolol, acebutolol, atenolol, labetolol, metoprolol, pindolol, nadolol, sotalol, and timolol) may reduce melatonin production in the body.

« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2007, 4:24pm by southwalessunshine » IP Logged

keep your face to the sunshine and you will never see the shadow.
Alone we can do so little, together we can do so much.
Walking with a friend in the dark is better than walking alone in the light.
Helen keller
annar
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

platanoanna  
Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 30th, 2007, 7:34pm »

I started taking prednisone two days before taking melatonin.  I took 9 mg of melatonin and only had one minor hit that night.  That was after having an average of 4-5 hits with the last hit usually being a 8-10 kip and being aborted with an imi shot.  So, needless to say, I was very pleased Smiley.  I don't know if it was the pred or the melatonin but i can say that it didn't hurt.  I am still taking it and all the literature i've read has been positive.  I did read a lot!

I would double check on the verapamil mix first though, just from the posts i've read on here.  

rrr reg
IP Logged

Supporter of a CH-er for 5 years
DennisM1045
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One wave at a time!

DennisM1045   DennisM1045
Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 31st, 2007, 7:40am »

I discussed Melatonin supplements and Verapamil with my Neuro last visit.  I've been taking both this cycle.  He did not indicate any cause for concern beyond the usual caution that you have to be careful with supplements  because they are not regulated and you can't be sure of the consistency.  You should consult with your own physician to get their opinion.

-Dennis-
IP Logged

Dancing the dance since 1995 ... Family member since 2007 ... No longer alone
midwestbeth
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 1st, 2007, 11:16am »

Quote:
you have to be careful with supplements  because they are not regulated and you can't be sure of the consistency.  You should consult with your own physician to get their opinion.

Good advice

Beth
IP Logged

Do more than exist - live
Do more than touch - feel
Do more than look - observe
Do more than read - absorb
Do more than hear - listen
Do more than listen - understand
~ John Rhodes
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss