Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 30th, 2024, 7:43am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Anyone who is on Topamax pls tell me »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Anyone who is on Topamax pls tell me
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Anyone who is on Topamax pls tell me  (Read 941 times)
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

Anyone who is on Topamax pls tell me
« on: Aug 1st, 2007, 12:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I am just starting to ramp up on Topamax again.  I wanted to know....cause I can't remember...LOL...Is really bad diarrhea a side effect?  I did lose weight last time, but not like this...anyone who knows, please give me a clue.  How long should I expect this to last?  This sux.  I am only on 25 mg at night and am supposed to slowly ramp it up every 4 days or so by 25mg until I get to 200mg which was my therapeutic dose before baby.  I feel crappy....LOL....literaly... Sad
IP Logged
SoCal
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Anyone who is on Topamax pls tell me
« Reply #1 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 2:13pm »

Never had that problem with Topamax.  Was on 25mg as a prophylaxis for three years and just ramped up to 150mg/day over the last couple of weeks as I started a new CH cycle w/o any gastrointestinal side-effects.  Only problems have been the expected word-choice/cognitive issues and some additional weight loss but no diarrhea.
IP Logged
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 2:21pm »

ok thanks.  how fast did you ramp up?  maybe it is just from the pain.... Sad
IP Logged
SoCal
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 3:05pm »

Ramped-up in 25mg increments every five days.  That may have been a bit quicker than what's normally recommended.  I'd check with your MD.  For comparison purposes, I'm a 205 lb. 54 yr. old. male in pretty good shape.
IP Logged
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 3:11pm »

thanks, he told me I could ramp up every 4 days by 25mg until I hit 200mg.  I was on 200mg. before with much relief.  I just never had this side effect, I will just chaulk it up to the pain I am in now.

Thanks

alicia
IP Logged
billyjoe
New Board Veteran
USA 

Go Red Sox!

« Reply #5 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 4:55pm »

I had the shits pretty good, too.  When I was looking for a preventative after the prednisone, it was between Topomax and Verapamil.  I chose the topmax, cause I was constipated from the Prednisone and was looking forward to diarrhea   Smiley

Anyways, I didn't like the tingling feeling and cognitive issues that come on pretty significantly at 75mg.  I went to a 50mg topo/ Verapimil mix for a while and it was ok.  Finially, I went to all Verapamil.

The doc had me taper up the topo 25mg per 5 days.
IP Logged
UN solved

Email

« Reply #6 on: Aug 1st, 2007, 7:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I used to take it ... but I never had those side effects. If it continues much longer or gets worse, you'll have to stop the drug or risk dehydrating. I'd be calling the doc asap if I were you.  Undecided

Topo gave me kidney stones twice, the first time requiring immediate surgery. I stopped taking the drug after the second stone and I haven't had one since (5 yrs). BTW, stones hurt like a B&*%^ too !!
And oh yea, one other side effect, brain activity  Roll Eyes  ( It'll dip to an all time low! )  Huh Huh Huh Huh

Goodluck

UNsolved  Cool

IP Logged
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 11:28am »

Thanks BillyJoe and UN solved.....
I know all about the decrease in brain activity....been there done that......getting ready for it now...I already forgot my phone number....just kidding...we'll see how it goes today with the GI distress.....wish me luck!

alicia
IP Logged
Purple_05
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:52pm »

I just started taking this for the first time but I haven't noticed that side effect yet.  Right now I'm only on 25mg at night.
IP Logged
luveemom
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Aug 2nd, 2007, 9:58pm »

no, i don't think it is from topamax either.  I feel better and am still taking it..
IP Logged
brauer100
New Board Newbie
USA 

Keep the faith!

« Reply #10 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 10:56am »

I think your diarrhea is something to talk to the doc about. I am on 300 mg and have been for a long time. I've had every other side effect known to man, but not the runs. I don't recall ever reading that in the patient info. But then again, my memory is shot from this stuff. Good luck. Smiley
IP Logged
medicjeff505
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Anyone who is on Topamax pls tell me a
« Reply #11 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 4:12pm »

hey there, i am on 100 in the morning and 100 at night. i ramped up rather quickly and yes gi upset.... diarrhea is a side affect of topamax and yes i did experience a few wonderful days of this Shocked fortunately they were days off. so far it seems to have passed. it came on when i made the jump from 50 mgs to 100 mgs. btw have been h/a free for a week now  Cheesy good luck... jeff
IP Logged
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #12 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 4:29pm »

My doc was really pushing me to take Topomax, but i said i cant afford to be stupid.  He said getting stupid is a side effect in a very small % of people, but just about everyone i talk to says it made their IQ drop by 50 points.

Whats the real deal?
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

rolo65

Email

« Reply #13 on: Aug 12th, 2007, 6:01pm »

on Aug 12th, 2007, 4:29pm, BMoneeTheMoneeMan wrote:
My doc was really pushing me to take Topomax, but i said i cant afford to be stupid.  He said getting stupid is a side effect in a very small % of people, but just about everyone i talk to says it made their IQ drop by 50 points.

Whats the real deal?

Great stuff if you want to forget your X wife, where you parked the car, and how to get to work in the morning!
IP Logged
medicjeff505
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 10:21am »

the real deal for me has been a truly noticeable affect in very short term memory. i.e. just put car keys down now where the hell are they.... get up to get a diet coke from the firidge but end up in the laundry room wondering why i am in the laundry room craving a diet coke. i have read some real horror stories and i personally have not experienced anything to that extreme. meds affect everyone differently... that said i also have not suffered a single headache since i have reached my dose of 100 mgs in the morning and 100 mgs at night. good luck. cheers... jeff
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Aug 13th, 2007, 12:53pm »

on Aug 1st, 2007, 4:55pm, billyjoe wrote:
Anyways, I didn't like the tingling feeling and cognitive issues that come on pretty significantly at 75mg.  

That sounds familiar. I am tapering down from 100mg/day. Presently @ 50mg.  
Never got the squirts, thank God.
Edit to note: I got all the typical side effects from Topamax: tingling in hands and feet; soda taste wierd; weight loss; CRS (can't remember shit!) and NO MORE HEADACHES! I tapered upto 100mg/day and now am tapering down. Currently @ 50 mg/day. This is the best I have felt in months.  Give and take, baby! Give and take. I'll take the CRS and give up the CH anytime.  
TomM
« Last Edit: Aug 13th, 2007, 5:17pm by TomM » IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #16 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 8:25am »

on Aug 1st, 2007, 12:41pm, WOMANINPAIN wrote:
 I wanted to know....cause I can't remember...LOL

Not remembering IS a side effect of Dopeymax! No joke.
IP Logged
rbmb
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Aug 15th, 2007, 11:54am »

My experience with topomax was that the CRS effect decreases with time but so does the drug's effectiveness in preventing headaches.  
     Rich
IP Logged
TomM
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Aug 16th, 2007, 6:23pm »

OK...we're all adults here.  
So...anyone notice that sex is, well, different. Does not feel as good and the climax is not as climatic?  Embarassed Seriously.  
Edit to Add: the climax is there but feels different.  
TomM
« Last Edit: Aug 17th, 2007, 11:04am by TomM » IP Logged

"Everyone should believe in something. I believe I'll go fishing."
--Thoreau--
Saffy
New Board Junior
Wales 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 10:13am »

Hello,

My Dr tells me the therapeudic dose is 50mg morning and night, it must be expensive!  Wink Welsh NHS.

I have found it + Dixarit wonderful.

No runs, no loss of the blubber sadly.

But headaches are MUCH improved which is absolutely great.

Memory was really bad at first but is improving now, I can live with it!

My advice is, when you think of it - write it down STRAIGHT away!!!

Saffy  Grin

Lists - lists - more lists
« Last Edit: Sep 19th, 2007, 10:14am by Saffy » IP Logged
UN solved

Email

« Reply #20 on: Sep 19th, 2007, 11:59am »

on Aug 16th, 2007, 6:23pm, TomM wrote:
OK...we're all adults here.  
So...anyone notice that sex is, well, different. Does not feel as good and the climax is not as climatic?  Embarassed Seriously.  
Edit to Add: the climax is there but feels different.  
TomM

I would say that Dopeymax numbs more than just your brain !

Goodluck to all that's on it !!

UNsolved

BTW, while I was on it, I went from college algebra to business statistics and economics to symbolic logic then back to 4th grade math Undecided  That's when I knew I had to quit. And did I mention stones ?  Tongue
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #21 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 12:02pm »

Dopeymax is one treatment I will not want to repeat... ever! It's bad enough that you go into places and have absolutely no idea why, but try to write academic essays on the same time. And it gave me basically 24/7 mild ch and then, in less than a week, I got hit 11 times a day. Didn't work... oh no.

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

cash5542
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

cash5542

« Reply #22 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 5:22pm »

My daughter has been on 200 mg of topomax for almost a year. She has increased the doses very slow. I think she is one of the blessed few. It has totally halted her migraines, she lost 25 pounds over the year, and another side effect was a speech issue. She has always had stuttering problems on and off and that's gone! Between the weight and the stuttering, she doesn't ever want to stop. Last year was her senior year of college and she completed it by writing a 90 page paper on the Holocaust.  Her CH seems to be better but it's hard to tell if that's the verapamil or topomax. I hope it never stops working!
IP Logged
Wayne
New Board Old Timer
South_Africa 

RedBull Rules!!

Email

« Reply #23 on: Sep 20th, 2007, 5:24pm »

Memory loss yes, the runs no.
IP Logged

A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort.
Portland_kait
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Oct 7th, 2007, 3:23pm »

Topamax gave me GI problems and brain slowing to the point of thinking I am forever damaged. I am tapering off now. Wondering if my headaches are coming back too. I see to be a seasonal sufferer combined with stress and alc.l
IP Logged

even on the poo the dew falls
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss