Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 10th, 2024, 6:34pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Mushroom Advice »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Mushroom Advice
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Mushroom Advice  (Read 590 times)
JRHD66
New Board Newbie
USA 

Mushroom Advice
« on: Mar 28th, 2007, 11:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All,
So my usual predinisone mega dose (80 mg for the last week, anyone?) is not really doing anything to break my cycle this time around... scary considering it has been the only thing in the past to have any effect at all.

Have decided, having exhausted most other remedies in the past, to try the shrooms...
Does anyone know if there is a danger in taking them if I'm still on the predinisone?

Any success stories you can share to give me the balls to actually take the damn things?
IP Logged
Netherlands 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Mushroom Advice
« Reply #1 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 12:01pm »

http://www.clusterbusters.com/faqlsa.htm
This site will answer most of your questions. consider the LSA seeds as well.
Pred + Clusterbusters is normally a recipe for failure. In order to give yourself the best chance of success it will be necessary to be off the prednisone for up to five days.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 8:43pm »

the most relief with the least amount of side effects.....
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 11:35pm »

I am not a doc, but do be extremely careful with the pred.  Make sure to follow your doc's instructions when tapering off it.  

Maybe Bob could chime in, but i think it is normally best to not have other drugs in your system if possible.  Some people are not able to stop taking their daily meds to detoxify their body though.  Thats ok too, but sometimes just not as effective.

PF wishes
B$

Edited to add success story.  The damn things work amazingly well for me.  The first few days after taking them is increased activity for me normally, but then it is a steep decrease.  For me, i have not been able to 'bust' it completely, but i get a 50% decrease in severity and 75% decrease in # of hits per day.  

To me, that is a HUGE success

« Last Edit: Mar 28th, 2007, 11:37pm by BMoneeTheMoneeMan » IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #4 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 11:41pm »

From the mushroom FAQ at www.clusterbusters.com:

4.1.2 Possible inhibitors

There are some medications which may interfere with psilocybin (and LSD):  

anti-convulsants or anti-epileptic medications such as Neurontin(gabapentin) and Topamax(topiramate). The exact mechanism by which topiramate works, for example, is still unknown, so it is impossible to even guess whether or not it will interfere with psilocybin.  
medications which are either synthetic analogs of certain hormones or which regulate hormone production: Prednisone and Synthroid, for example. There is no direct evidence to suggest that these drugs will interact with psilocybin, but hormones have a very complex and inter-related effect on numerous body systems. We have seen a few reports suggesting that thyroid levels play a part in cluster headaches  
tranquilizers and mood-altering medications such as Xanax, Valium, Prozac and Wellbutrin.  
Ondansetron (Zofran) and Compazine (prochlorperazine)  
* Imitrex (and associated triptans):
Based upon many reports, triptans are one of the most likely medications to block the clusterbusting effects of psychedelics. In our opinion, they should be avoided both before, during and after, beginning psychedelic treatments for clusters.  
sumatriptan (Imitrex®, Imigran®) injections  
sumatriptan (Imitrex®, Imigran®) tablets  
zolmitriptan (Zomig®) tablets  
sumatriptan (Imitrex®, Imigran®) nasal spray  
naratriptan (Amerge®, Naramig®) tablets  
rizatriptan (Maxalt®) tablets and rizatriptan orally dissolvable (Maxalt-MLT®) tablets  
zolmitriptan orally dissolvable (Zomig-ZMT®) tablets  
almotriptan (Axert®) tablets  
frovatriptan (Frova®) tablets  
eletriptan (Relpax®) tablets  
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
JRHD66
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Mar 28th, 2007, 11:57pm »

Thanks for the advice everyone... The crucial decision of course is now whether to taper off my predinisone when the high dose is barely holding back the flood gates and risk a few ugly days before the shrooms (especially since my ins. co just told me I'm now allowed 4 imitrex refills per 63 days). Dicey....

Thanks as well for concern re: predinisone dosing.  My Doctor prety much writes me a script for 150 oils (10mg each) and lets me dose myself within reason - he knows that I'll most likely have better success than him, and is ok as long as I let him know what dose I'm on and when I start my taper.  I check in with my brother, also a doctor, before changing my dose, and he's given me some good guidance - he's also a bit more invested in my phone calls and general wellbeing than my relatively busy and clueless GP.
PFD to all, and Thanks again for your advice/encouragement.
D
IP Logged
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

.Re: Mushroom Advice
« Reply #6 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 1:01am »

That's alot of pred. you really should do a structured taper.
I'm in the exact same situation.
80mg 4 days
60 /4 days
40 /4
and 20/ 4
The pred isn't as hard to skip as imitrex when detoxing, and it nullifies the efficacy of the dose

Balls? It's FUN!!!
IP Logged

Chris
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 29th, 2007, 10:18am »

Good advice given,,,thanks everyone.

Yes, the pred taper is extremely important and I'm glad to hear you're doing so under doctor(s) guidance.

As was noted in another thread, it's very important for EVERYONE to discuss their medications with their doctors before detoxing, even if you don't want to explain "why."

From what we've learned from past experience(s) and studying the science of this, prednisone will almost certainly block any good that the psychedelics would do. I rate it as equal to the triptans in blocking actions.

Thanks again to everyone for helping out with good information on this and other threads, on this subject. Very much appreciated.

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
bejeeber
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Apr 1st, 2007, 12:05am »

on Mar 28th, 2007, 11:57pm, JRHD66 wrote:
.... I'm now allowed 4 imitrex refills per 63 days). Dicey....

Hey if you haven't tried the the 1/2 imitrex dose technique detailed in the "Imitrex Tip" link over there on the left, I 'd recommend checking into it. Could really stretch those doses out for you and you might be surprised at  the effectiveness of the half doses (I was skeptical, but it worked for me 95% or so of the time).
IP Logged

Cluster Headaches: better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!.....er...well OK, they actually DO feel quite similar.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss