Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 8:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Verapamil Question? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Verapamil Question?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Verapamil Question?  (Read 455 times)
mwt
New Board Newbie
USA 

Mwt

Verapamil Question?
« on: Mar 24th, 2007, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been using Verapamil for years now for my CH and its worked pretty good.  I recently changed insurance and my new doctor gave me 80mg pills  and 240mg tablets to take.  The pharmacy told me not to take both of them at the same time and the doctor said its okay.  Anyone  got an opinion on this one?  Oh yes, right now I've been taking 960mg daily using only the 80mg pills and my cycle is starting to peak.

Thanks,
Mark
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: Verapamil Question?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 5:26pm »

Is one standard release and the other slow release?  That may have something to do with the pharmacists warning.  

Go back and ask both the doc and the pharmacist to be specific as to why you can or should not use them at the same time.
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 7:13pm »

I tend to agree with Mike, that one could be the PM version, and the other standard release.

I was under a perscription assistance plan and the only verap they covered was the once a day PM type, and that was at 100 MG/ per capsule.

Check and make sure you aren't going to do more harm than good.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 7:24pm »

You do need to double check with your doctor but it sounds like the 80 mg is the immediate release and the 240 mg is the slow release. How were you instructed to take them ? Both at the same time 2,3 times per day or each at different times ?

As long as they are both verapamil, generally there is no harm in taking them together, providing that the total amount is not too much that it causes you hypotension ( low blood pressure ) or other side effects, such as oedema ( fluid retention ) or constipation.

Sometimes doctors prescribe a combination of slow and standard release meds to make sure the patient gets a high enough dose for it to reach therapeutic level with a sustained effect to last all day.

In similar vein, people here take standard release melatonin and slow release one together at night so that they get a high enough level in the blood for it to work plus having the continous level to last through the night.

If in doubt, always check with your doctor. The pharmacist doesnt really know you nor your condition, he gave the warning purely in case you misundertood the doctors instruction and wasnt supposed to take both. Your doctor is the prescriber and the one responsible for your health.

Good luck with it all and painfree wishes to you.

Annette
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 8:02pm »

read my mind folks.........

The immediate release is what the research suggests as a better option for us.

It made a world of difference when I had changed to that as well
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 12:34am »

on Mar 24th, 2007, 7:24pm, BB wrote:

You do need to double check with your doctor but it sounds like the 80 mg is the immediate release and the 240 mg is the slow release. How were you instructed to take them ? Both at the same time 2,3 times per day or each at different times ?

As long as they are both verapamil, generally there is no harm in taking them together, providing that the total amount is not too much that it causes you hypotension ( low blood pressure ) or other side effects, such as oedema ( fluid retention ) or constipation.

Sometimes doctors prescribe a combination of slow and standard release meds to make sure the patient gets a high enough dose for it to reach therapeutic level with a sustained effect to last all day.

In similar vein, people here take standard release melatonin and slow release one together at night so that they get a high enough level in the blood for it to work plus having the continous level to last through the night.

If in doubt, always check with your doctor. The pharmacist doesnt really know you nor your condition, he gave the warning purely in case you misundertood the doctors instruction and wasnt supposed to take both. Your doctor is the prescriber and the one responsible for your health.

Good luck with it all and painfree wishes to you.

Annette

There's no such thing as "slow release" verapamil. There's...

- ER (extended release), releases over 24 hours

- SR (sustained release), releases over 12 hours

- Regular, releases over 3-4 hours

Several clusterheads here have found that using the regular, multiple times per day, is more effective as a CH preventive than the same mg/day of the ER or SR.

The same thing goes for melatonin. There's no "slow release" melatonin but there's a relatively new Sustained Release (SR) that's probably useless.

BB
IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 6:06am »

Slow release is the same as sustained release  Roll Eyes

Annette
IP Logged
mwt
New Board Newbie
USA 

Mwt

« Reply #7 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 5:02pm »

Thanks everyone,
My verapamil 240mg is SR and the 80mg says nothing.  This is starting to make sense now.
Thanks again
Mark
IP Logged
Judge_Smails
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 1:13pm »

Question for you: This is the first time I've tried Verapamil, I'm taking 480mg/day.  I was doing great while also on my Pred taper, however, since ending the Pred on Friday I've had pretty consistant shadows all day.  

I'm not complaining, shadows are better then getting hit, I'm just asking those with more Verapamil experience - how effective is it?  Do you still get hit, If so how often, etc.

I've got about 3 more weeks in my cycle and I'm just trying to get an idea of what I'm in for (keeping in mind that obviously everyone is different).

Thanks
IP Logged
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

« Reply #9 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 6:15pm »

on Mar 25th, 2007, 6:06am, BB wrote:

Annette

Thank you! Wink
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 6:58pm »

on Mar 25th, 2007, 6:06am, BB wrote:

Annette

Unless it's extended release  Roll Eyes  

BB
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 26th, 2007, 7:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
I'm just asking those with more Verapamil experience - how effective is it?  Do you still get hit, If so how often, etc.  

Very!

The frequency and intensity of the hits decreases.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss