Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 6:15pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex as a preventative »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex as a preventative
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex as a preventative  (Read 520 times)
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

Imitrex as a preventative
« on: Mar 20th, 2007, 7:46pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I know... I'm not new to this... It's not a preventative.

But I've found over the past month after suffering for several months with basically NO sleep between hits, that the spray does act as a short term preventative and gets me through the night with 1-2 doses.

Oddly enough, shots do not work in the same manner...

So I'm wondering if maybe the pills would work the same way???

The sprays are putting me in a financial hole. I'm getting a discount at the pharmacy (no insurance), but they're still $30 per spray. That's $60 per night...

Does anyone have a similar experience with the spray or pills? Any input?
IP Logged

Chris
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Imitrex as a preventative
« Reply #1 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 7:49pm »

How do you use the sprays as preventive?

Do you mean you use it before you get a hit?

Annette
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #2 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 7:56pm »

This is the big question with insurance companies now. There are several other triptans that have a longer half life, and while they work as an abortive (sort of), they will also keep them away for awhile. I've noticed this with Amerge. It's like a 12-hour preventative for me, and I have used it as such (not often, but when necessary).

Other preventatives are much cheaper, and that's why insurance companies won't pay for more than a few doses of triptans per month. My neuro wanted me to take an Amerge twice a day for a month, and one time my insurance company actually paid for it. They got wise to that pretty fast, though.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #3 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 8:08pm »

on Mar 20th, 2007, 7:49pm, BB wrote:

How do you use the sprays as preventive?

Do you mean you use it before you get a hit?

Annette

No, I usually get hit as soon as I get sleepy. So I use O2 for the first one if it's before midnight, then once I know I'm gonna be able to got to sleep for sure I fall to sleep, get hit, take a spray and hit the o2, then go to sleep. That usually holds me till 2-3am then sometimes I have to use another at that time, and that keeps me throught till morning without anymore hits.

And I don't have any insurance, so I'm not confined by their silly rules. laugh
IP Logged

Chris
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 8:10pm »

The Indian ripoff of Imitrex is called Suminat.

They have nasal... a bottle is 10x 20mg doses.
http://www.unitedpharmacies.com/customer/product.php?productid=425

$3.50 a dose.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Samiam
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ban910
Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 9:18pm »

I have used Imitrex now for the last 4-5 cycles as a preventive. Well I have also used DHE45 also.  My cycle lasts 4-6 weeks mostly 6 weeks the last two it will start to taper down.  

What I do is use the nasal spray when I'm out and need a fast abortive since I now have the O2 I use the pills (1-100mg) along with 1 mg of Klonopin and I pretty much sleep through the night without any more hits.

Last night I used a nasal spray because I was out of the pills and 1 mg of klonopin and I not only slept through the night but I manage to go through the whole day without any hits.  

I'm also working on my sinuses being inflamed so I also took sudefed 1 tablet (not the long acting one).

I'm so hoping to repeat this tomorrow.  Sat will be the end of my 4th week.  I like the pills for night time since I get hit about 1 hr after going to sleep so if I take it prior to going to sleep I seem to do OK.  Not to mention using the O2 gives the pills time to work if I feel an attack coming on.

Sami

IP Logged

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
chrisw
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love bunnies

Email

« Reply #6 on: Mar 20th, 2007, 10:43pm »

I have used imitrex tablets as a preventive, and they worked very good for me, I had many nights with no hits with a tablet before bed,  the spray or the shot dont have the same long term effect.  the only problem with the imitrex tabs was that I was getting hit in the late afernoon or early evening 8-9pm or so.  this was a problemm for me since there is a lot of noise and light etc. at tha t time of day.  I t also seemed that my hits were more severe after taking trex the noght before.  So I think that they are great for a much needed night sleep, but watch out the next day.

chrisw
IP Logged
Chillrmn1

Email

« Reply #7 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 6:14am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I tried it as a preventative when I was using trex and it didn't work well for me.  I was taking (1) 100 mg tab every 12 hours or so.  About 4 hours after taking one I experienced the worst Kip 10 attack I can remember. I shot up with (1) Imitrex 6 mg SQ to try to abort but had no relief. About 30 minutes later at still the same pain level I shot up again with Trex and the attack started to dissipate and left me feeling like hell for the next two days. This was before I started using O2 to abort.

Definately not the smartest thing to have used so much Trex in that short of a time period but I was desperate. So I tried this method, it didn't work for me, and I will never try it again personally. If it works for others then great.

But that was my experience and can't help but think the amount of trex in my body may have been a contributing factor to such a severe attack and might have been the reason I had no response from the shots.

Regards    

Edit to add: The first 2-3 days of taking the tabs for preventative purposes seemed to work but it was after the third day that the flood gates of hell opened on me.
« Last Edit: Mar 21st, 2007, 6:49am by Chillrmn1 » IP Logged
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #8 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 10:26am »

The clinical trial reports I've seen said Imi doesn't work to prevent. However,

Headache. 2004 Apr;44(4):361-4.  Related Articles, Links  

Eletriptan for the short-term prophylaxis of cluster headache.

Zebenholzer K, Wober C, Vigl M, Wessely P.

Department of Neurology, University of Vienna (Austria) Medical School.

BACKGROUND: A beneficial prophylactic effect from eletriptan 40 mg given to a single patient with cluster headache was observed. OBJECTIVE: To further evaluate the efficacy of eletriptan in the short-term prophylaxis of cluster headache. METHODS: We treated 18 patients; mean age, 40.5 years (standard deviation [SD], 9.9). The number of cluster headache attacks was recorded during a baseline period of 6 days, and during 6 days of treatment with eletriptan 40 mg twice daily. The primary outcome measure was the reduction in the number of attacks during the treatment period. RESULTS: In the 16 patients who completed the study (2 patients were lost to follow-up), the mean total number of attacks decreased from 10.9 (SD, 5.6) during baseline to 6.3 (SD, 3.7) during treatment with eletriptan (P=.01) The reduction in the number of attacks exceeded 50% in 6 patients. CONCLUSION: This small open-label study suggests that eletriptan 40 mg twice daily may be useful for the short-term prophylaxis of cluster headache.

PMID: 15109360 [PubMed - in process]  
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #9 on: Mar 21st, 2007, 12:48pm »

Thanks for the warnings on the tabs...
IP Logged

Chris
bluesunshine
New Board Junior
Canada 

« Reply #10 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 5:11am »

imitrex and most of the triptans are not intented to be used as a prophylactic agent ( to prevent the onset of a CH attack)- nor as a continuous treatment.  I know the fear of getting hit, but use them only to abort an attack.  

And no physician or pharmacist will prescribe them for a steady use - read the monography of the drug.

Don't be a guinea-pig for the pharm co.  Remember vioxx story? it was not intended in the first place for a long term treatment.  you know the end of the story.

my 0.02$
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #11 on: Mar 24th, 2007, 7:03am »

Prevents are much cheaper. I agree that it's dangerous to use triptans as prevents, there are lots of standard and alternative prevents that are much easier on your body. My 2 cents
« Last Edit: Mar 24th, 2007, 12:03pm by nani » IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Superpain
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

GOT O2!?

« Reply #12 on: Mar 25th, 2007, 4:10pm »

It's only as a secondary effect that I use the term preventative. I don't use it with the intent to prevent, or take it without needing to immediately abort an attack.

But it is a nice side effect when sleeping. Wink
IP Logged

Chris
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss