Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 12th, 2024, 2:17am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax  (Read 276 times)
firecracker7481
New Board Newbie
USA 

Topamax
« on: Mar 6th, 2007, 12:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

So my Dr. is going to start me on Topamax...I have heard great things about this from my friends Dad if I can get past the intial few weeks of taking the drug...

Any thoughts???
IP Logged
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Re: Topamax
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:25pm »

Hmmmm... where to start...
It works, kinda.

A few side strong side effects for me...

- Make certain foods 'taste like ass'
Read this.  Do a find on 'taste'. http://www.crazymeds.org/topamax
Do you like beer?  You will not when you are on Topa.  Soda?  Same.  Other random foods will taste alien.

- Makes you dumb as a bag of hammers.  My MD called it 'mental slowing'.  It is kinda scary, because you clearly notice it.  I lost the ability to do simple math in my head.

Funny tale... I had an acquaintance who I did not care for... a stupid bastard... I mean borderline retarded.  But of course, he thought he was pretty sharp.
Well, one day he told me he started on Topa for something or other.  I told him my tale, to which he insisted that he had no mental slowing from Topa.
The moral of the story... Take your IQ and subtract 60.  Divide the remainder by 2.  Add 60 back.  That is your Topa IQ.

For example...
IQ of 110 == ((110-60)*.5)+60) = Topa IQ of 85
IQ of 75 == Topa IQ of 67.

Got that?  The smarter you are the more you will feel the Topa.

« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:31pm by Lobster » IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 2:16pm »

Some people here have reported that it worked for them.  In the research I have done, I have read that it should be started low (25mg) and tapered up slowly (25mg every 5 days) until it works or the side effects get too bad.  The upper limits for CH appear to be somewhere between 200mg and 400mg.

From a personal perspective, I have nothing good to say about Dopeymax.  It made my ch worse, gave me terribly vivid nightmares,  made food taste like shit and made me dumber than a box of rocks.  The wife ended up taking my car keys away because I was dangerous on the road.  Jane has never been embarrassed because of ch and my related behaviors, except when I was on this drug.  You couldn't pay me enough to take this med again.

LMAO @ Lobster's TopaTelligence formula.

IP Logged
Rosybabe
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Too much of a good thing can be wonderful!!

smurph  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 3:34pm »

Hey!

Do you know that one of Topamax side ef. is lowering your Pill efectiveness? yeah! right! the anti-baby pill!

and if you get pregnant while in Topamax your baby can be born with severe problems?...

you better be aware of all the nasty things coming with topamax...

Good Luck!!!
IP Logged

Believing is just the beginning!
UN solved

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 6:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I have nothing good to say about Topamax.  
It made me too dumb to do 4th grade math.
It made everything taste like ass.
It gave me kidney stones Twice.

UNsolved  Roll Eyes

IP Logged
Shari
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 10:38pm »

Three years ago when my husband was in a cycle we were told Sansert was no longer available. So the Doc put him on that Dopeymax. (good description)  He wandered around the house like a zombie in a stupor.
Everyone's body chemistry is different I suppose and what works for one may not for another, but this definitely did not work for him.
Needless to say we were relieved when we found the methysergide maleste.
Shari
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 4:35am »

It sure didn't work for me... I got hit horribly and went to places without recalling why! Roll Eyes Dopeymax indeed.

I do hope that it works for you, though.

Best wishes,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss