Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 12th, 2024, 12:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Works for me, sort of... »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Works for me, sort of...
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Works for me, sort of...  (Read 401 times)
AL1
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Works for me, sort of...
« on: Mar 6th, 2007, 9:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All,

I have been having CHs for about 5 years now, they roll around once a year, sometimes twice for about a month.  I don't need to tell people here how bad they are.  I was diagnosed by a very good neurologist and he prescribed a medication to me called L-Tryptophan, and I must say that it has been helping me a whole lot.  My CHs have not disappeared completely (I don't think they ever will) but the medicine reduced the intensity from a 10 - actually banged my head on the headboard so hard it cracked (the headboard   Grin)  to a 4 at most, but often just shadows lingering.  I just felt compelled to let people here know about this medication.  Something that you may want to discuss with your doc.
IP Logged
jmc
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: Works for me, sort of...
« Reply #1 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 10:34am »

Hello Al1, glad you've had success with this treatment!!!  

Isn't L-Tryptophan a sleep aid supplement?  OTC?  

IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #2 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 10:34am »

Interesting.  It's an indole-ring compound with relationships to melatonin and serotonin.  

Was available as an OTC dietary supplement and sleep aid for a time, present naturally in mammalian proteins.  

See the FDA caution regarding its importation as a dietary supplement without prescription:

http://vm.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/ds-tryp1.html

It appears that most of the potential danger is associated with the manufacturing process.  

I've not heard of it being prescribed for CH.  Anyone else?

Best,

George

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:36pm »

on Mar 6th, 2007, 9:57am, AL1 wrote:
...actually banged my head on the headboard so hard it cracked (the headboard   Grin)...  

Post a pic please.
Not cuz I do not believe you, but because pics like that tell the story... it would be uber cool.

I have a pic here somewhere I took right after a hit.  
During the hit I pressed my skull HARD against a the corner edge of a door jamb.  The pic is of my skull... a 4-inch long line of inflamed ugliness.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #4 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:48pm »

Flo covered this a while back:

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Tryptophan

I had a go with 5-HTP last year, and although at the time it seemed to make things worse for me (other contraindications possibly), I have not yet disregarded its potential, and may well throw it back into the mix at some stage:

http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=5-HTP

All the best with it AL1

-Lee

Edited to add, in case it's missed: Those taking triptans, anti-depressants (tricylics, SSRIs, MAOIs) or lithium or other drugs with serotonergic activities should not take 5-HTP. There is concern that the combination could result in serotonin syndrome, which is potentially life threatening.
« Last Edit: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:53pm by LeeS » IP Logged
AL1
New Board Newbie
Canada 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Mar 7th, 2007, 12:28am »

Hi Guys/Girls,

To answer some of the questions:  Yes I do believe that particular medicine is used as a sleep aid as well treatment for a host of other disorders.  I am not at all qualified to talk about the prescribed uses though since I am a not a doc.  However from what my GP told me is that it acts as a balancing agent for certain neuro-chemicals such as seratonin.  I am also trying a nasal spray right now - Sinus Buster, will see how it goes.  

P.S. Sorry Lobster no pics, I've since moved and replaced the bed, but I am sure there will be other things broken if I cant get these damned headaches under control.   Wink
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Mar 8th, 2007, 4:37am »

AL1,

it's great to hear that you've found something which helps you with your ch. Smiley I wish you a PF future! Smiley

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss