Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 11th, 2024, 12:30am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « O2 flowrate »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   O2 flowrate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: O2 flowrate  (Read 451 times)
daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

I can't avoid but to deal with it smartly.

O2 flowrate
« on: Feb 28th, 2007, 9:01am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all, I just got out of hospital. The past few days I have the worst attacks ever. And I also requested for O2 therapy. I just read that the flowrate that most people using is 15l/m but currently my neuro just set 7l/m for me. Can anyone tell me the flow rate is it allow to be change based on the regulator? and how much can a tank lasts for a 600L tank? cause that the max litres for a tank I could get.
IP Logged

http://www.security6.com/clusterheadaches/ - my oxygen therapy setup
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

Re: O2 flowrate
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 10:37am »

Dan, I can't tell you about flow rate because I use welding O2 right from the handle grip set to 15 psi, which is a bit over what I use for welding.

Since I use no mask and breath right from the grip I turn the knob on and off between breaths...

The big key to this is to get O2 at the very first signs of an attack. Waste no time! Stay on O2 for longer than the shadow which is what I term it, lasts, for another 5 to 10  minutes....

Pretend you are smoking a joint, meaning take deep even breaths and hold them a bit, releasing the the breath slow and easy too...

So long as there is a knob on the regulator you should be able to turn it IN for more, and back it out for less...

I can't say if you need more or less as my methods are likely not yours.... Mac

I hope this helps....
IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 11:33am »

so when i inhale , treat it like smoking ? as in using the same way when we smoke? lol hmmz I am worried about the flowrate as I haven't try O2 on a big scale attack by the monster yet. Going to purchase the tank instead of renting it.  

My cost over here is to rent a 600L of tank

First month rental : $75 USD
sub Month rental : $50 USD
each refill : $25 USD

To purchase the tank (600L) = $485 USD
IP Logged

Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 2:22pm »

Well Dan I don't smoke pot at all anymore but I did... yeah breath it in deep and hold it some. You have to breath more time than you do with a joint, so it is possible to work too hard if you work it that way for a long time...  

Just breath deeply and easy at the very first sign.

No need to pucker up and pretend you have the joint in your mouth. You will have a mask right?

I have to pucker up to fit my lips NEAR the torch grip but you shouldn't with a mask... I don't touch my lips to the brass grip either, I leave about 6 mm's air gap.

You do metric right? 6mms=apx 1/4"inch

Did you get any imitrex injectors? You should have this medicine on hand and hope you don't need it...

If that is you in the pic I bet the 6 mg's does will be too much, and a third is closer....

On the far left read under New Vistors 7 places down "imitrex tips", then get some and do it that way if the O2 doesn't work.

This drug will abort a full blown CH in the middle..... The O2 works best at the very first sign...

have you had the Ch's long enough to see the first sign?
IP Logged

Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 2:29pm »

flow rate: it should be there is a regulator. Now I doun't think it is sealed so you can't adjust it. So there will be a gauge to read, and for you to adjust...

I would start with the reccomendations, and see how it works... Then if it seems like you need more turn the knob In for more.. You are not going to over dose on O2.... Don't be near open flames though! O2 is an element in all fire.... the oxidizer, which can make a normal fire much more intence!
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 5:15pm »

Hi Daniel
Can you take a digital photo of the regulator & Email it to me, that way I can see what yours is like and be able to help you through any adjustments that can be made.

As to the amount of time that you will get out of a cylinder; simply divide the contents of the cylinder by the flow rate, in your case @ a flow rate of 7 litres per minute from a 600 litre cylinder you will get 85 minutes of use and at 15 litres per minute you will get 40 minutes of use.

If you don’t have & cant get hold of a non-rebreather mask you can make your own by using one of those large freezer zippy bags; at the opposite end of the bag to the zippy end & at one corner poke a hole only just large enough to push the air line into & seal it with tape on the opposite corner make a hole to put a tube into, this can be any tube like the inner cardboard tube of a food wrap roll, desperate enough rip the centre tube out of your roll of toilet paper.

Some Do’s & Don’ts:
Make sure you get a non re-breather mask if you can, that way you are sure of getting the best quality air.

Don’t use the strap on the mask; better still remove it completely, that way you remove the risk of falling asleep with the mask still on once you have aborted the hit and as you will understand we get little enough sleep and our body will take any opportunity to catch up on some badly needed ZZZ’s

I have mine set for a flow rate of 10 litres/ minute and the regulator set at WELD, I leave the settings alone and simply turn the main valve on when needed, that way as soon as you need to get on the gas there’s no mucking around just turn it on & start huffing.

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 7:05pm »

Barry I can't say for sure but gather from what he said he doesn't have anything yet, and will be soon...

I replied knowing I wouldn't really know his set up, but I evidently saw him first and I like a fast reply, so figured he would. My methods are not everyone elses....
IP Logged

daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #7 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 8:41pm »

Hi Mac & Barry thanks for the reply. I have a non-rebreather mask which I got from the hospital. Currently in 2 days time, I will have my first tank delivers to my place, I will take photos of it later for Barry to take a look. I asked the man who's in charge, He said I would get a regulator which can allows up to 15L/Min flow rate. I have read on the O2 threads, that different people may requires different flow rate.

I am currently on this medication after I am discharged

Sumatriptan - 2 times per day 50mg/each
Verapamil - 2 times per day 40mg/each
Prednisolone - 60mg for 1 week, 30mg for 3 days, after 10 days 15mg for 2 days, 5mg for 2 days. (this is the new medicine that the neuro have issued to me, she say it would helps to shorten the attack period and also to shorten the pain. Its known as a type of steroid)
IP Logged

daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #8 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 8:48pm »

on Feb 28th, 2007, 2:22pm, Mac_Muz wrote:
Well Dan I don't smoke pot at all anymore but I did... yeah breath it in deep and hold it some. You have to breath more time than you do with a joint, so it is possible to work too hard if you work it that way for a long time...  

Just breath deeply and easy at the very first sign.

No need to pucker up and pretend you have the joint in your mouth. You will have a mask right?

yeah i have the non-rebreather mask. - replied

I have to pucker up to fit my lips NEAR the torch grip but you shouldn't with a mask... I don't touch my lips to the brass grip either, I leave about 6 mm's air gap.

You do metric right? 6mms=apx 1/4"inch

Did you get any imitrex injectors? You should have this medicine on hand and hope you don't need it...

I have sumatriptans pills instead of injectors 5mg/each 2 times per day - replied

If that is you in the pic I bet the 6 mg's does will be too much, and a third is closer....

On the far left read under New Vistors 7 places down "imitrex tips", then get some and do it that way if the O2 doesn't work.

This drug will abort a full blown CH in the middle..... The O2 works best at the very first sign...

have you had the Ch's long enough to see the first sign?
I am currently on my 3th year cycle now, Yeah I would know the first sign of my CH monster attack. Smiley

IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 9:13pm »

That’s good news Daniel, your well on your way to being able to deal with the monster.
Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
jlk
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #10 on: Feb 28th, 2007, 10:31pm »

Daniel, I hope you feel better soon.  Try to relax your body through deep breathing after you've taken O2 or imitrex, it will help cut down on the pain.

Wishing you the best!

Jules
IP Logged
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 5:42am »

Dan, I have no experience with any of the meds you have.  
I only have O2 from my welding tanks, and the imitrex injectors. I had tried imitrex in pills which didn't work fast enough to abort anything, and a inhaler that didn't work for me.

It will be interesting to see if pills can work fast enough for you. With the injectors the first time, I used the whole amount. That didn't work out so well, as it left me feeling as if I was drowing.

After I came here and read the How To things got much better to abort a full blown attack in the middle of it!

I am an x drug addict, and so pretty much against taking even asperin, but I know when I am beaten too, so will do a moderate amount of a drug to kill pain once forced by the pain.

You will find far better help than I can offer here, but as I said I was the first to see your post and at times any answer is better than no answer for a while.... mac
IP Logged

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #12 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 9:40pm »

clustermasx.com    
get one use ithttp://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/pstc/backup/paraoxca.htm

http://www.chhelp.org/mhni.html
Here daniel.

you dont see a mask because I use the tube. This is a clustermasx set up

« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2007, 10:10pm by thebbz » IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #13 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:18pm »

thanks Barry & jlk.

My O2 tank is coming in few hours time.
quite excited ha ha...  Grin
IP Logged

daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #14 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:28pm »

on Mar 1st, 2007, 5:42am, Mac_Muz wrote:
Dan, I have no experience with any of the meds you have.  
I only have O2 from my welding tanks, and the imitrex injectors. I had tried imitrex in pills which didn't work fast enough to abort anything, and a inhaler that didn't work for me.

It will be interesting to see if pills can work fast enough for you. With the injectors the first time, I used the whole amount. That didn't work out so well, as it left me feeling as if I was drowing.

After I came here and read the How To things got much better to abort a full blown attack in the middle of it!

I am an x drug addict, and so pretty much against taking even asperin, but I know when I am beaten too, so will do a moderate amount of a drug to kill pain once forced by the pain.

You will find far better help than I can offer here, but as I said I was the first to see your post and at times any answer is better than no answer for a while.... mac

the pills really have to depends, the sumatriptan suppose to work within 15mins sometimes if the scale of attack is too high, may not works well to abort the attack. I am taking a risk to take O2 as well cause when i stayed at hospital that day, I haven't managed to get a full scale attack from the monster. But O2 did helps me on the small scales attack while I was staying there. Prayed hard.
IP Logged

daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #15 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 7:35pm »

on Mar 1st, 2007, 9:40pm, thebbz wrote:
clustermasx.com    
get one use ithttp://www.maplefallswebdesign.com/misc/oxygen/oxygen.htm

http://www.monroecc.edu/depts/pstc/backup/paraoxca.htm

http://www.chhelp.org/mhni.html
Here daniel.

you dont see a mask because I use the tube. This is a clustermasx set up

very nice O2 setup thebbz. The links I been to 2 of it hehe. thanks alot.
IP Logged

daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #16 on: Mar 2nd, 2007, 11:43pm »

hi all, i just do a minor webpage on my O2 setup. Do take a look Smiley

http://www.security6.com/clusterheadaches/
IP Logged

Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #17 on: Mar 5th, 2007, 4:54pm »

Pretty good site....

I wonder why you say using O2 is risky?
IP Logged

daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #18 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 1:01am »

on Mar 5th, 2007, 4:54pm, Mac_Muz wrote:
Pretty good site....

I wonder why you say using O2 is risky?

oh cause so far i haven't use it on a kip 10 yet. by the time i reached hospital already dropped to a lvl of kip 6. lol. but anyway now i have to bring my o2 ard from my house to school just in case.
IP Logged

Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #19 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 9:13am »

Draggin that arounf will old fast. What hind of Cher are you? episotic? or cronic?

If you are lucky it would be episotic, and so you will have a "season" like I do. I have these in Fall and or Spring, and get hits at from evening to late night, and or into early mornong hours like 3am or so.

That means so long as I am home, my stuff can stay right where it is.

I am pretty sure you undertand that if you wait for kip10 levels O2 isn't going to do much. You would wait for a poisionus snake to bite you before you killed it would you? No you would either run away or kill it first.

That is the idea with O2 you kill the Ch with O2 first.

Since I run a welding rig, with no mask, there is no chance I could fall asleep, and so I see no risk. I am not so sure that even with your set up running at these psi levels there is risk if you fall asleep, other than maybe being out of O2 for the next round, which admittedly would suck.

I do and try all sorts of things, from living in different hours of the day, breaking my normal routines, to trying different things foods wise.

My thinking is that since this is a season thing with me it has a clock, and if I mess up the clock I mess with the ways a Ch works. I can't back up one bit of that with facts, but it is my best guess.

I began these in early evening about 7pm at first... By messing around I seem to have move the attacks back into early morning, where my time is less usefull sleeping. i don't like loosing sleep much, but the timing works out better for me.

What happens then is this. I pop up wide awake, feeling pretty well rested, and I KNOW whats coming, so with a clear head, I get the O2 and start right then before there is even a slight shadow... If I move to slow I feel the shadow and will already be moving for O2, and so don't suffer much..

Maybe if you are anything like me this will help..

I understand each one of us gets a somewhat different hit... I pray for the cronic people and discount my suffering because I know others have it worse... I hope you are not one of them.... Mac
IP Logged

daniel96
New Board Junior
Singapore 

« Reply #20 on: Mar 6th, 2007, 8:05pm »

Hi Mac, so far for the past 3 years I am on episodic. For me my attacks will come in the morning between 8am to 11am and also night attacks varies from 9pm to 11pm. Time is subjected to minor changes. Cause right now I have school still, I wouldn't want to take any chance for the monster to rip  me apart when I am outside. So I just carry my tank to school just in case I got an attack coming. Yes you are right, O2 is effective when you received your initial shadow/warning I am aware of that. Chances that I have is being awake by the shadow's of the monster, I remembered when I first got my CH the whole night I couldn't sleep due to the attack and during that time I wasn't even diagnosed as CH yet. I am glad I am diagnosed as a CH patient so I can deal with it accordingly. I hope everyone here , be it chronic or episodic can get lesser times of the attacks and fight to the last!
IP Logged

Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 2:14pm »

been a few..... so hows it working out for you?
IP Logged

Samiam
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Ban910
Email

« Reply #22 on: Mar 15th, 2007, 3:50pm »

Best of luck to you.  I have had clusters now for 26 yrs.  I just came out of a 5 yr remission and for the first time I am using O2 to abort attacks.  I'm not on preventives because they don't work for me.  Cycle is 6 weeks.  O2 has been a God sent to me.  It has worked for me even at a kip 5 you just have to stay on it longer.  Last night I was on it for 25 minutes and it was gone without using anything else. I have imitrex also to abort which I tend to use every night at the same time.  

Seems like you are following the circadian rhythm.

I was able to get one very large tank (M) tank and now I have two generators that will produce 15 lPM flow.  It's so much more easlier for me so I don't run out.  After the attack leaves I drop off one machine and breath just 10 lpm for a couple of more minutes before I stop.

Watch your gage.  Don't let it get into the red before you get it filled.  Find out how long you will have to wait to get a refill some will ask for at lease two days.  That tank is like the ones they gave me for the car I just don't have the nice case.  I have 3 of them also.

I'm now armed for bear.  I'm doing pretty good and O2 is working great for me.

Wishing you many PFNAD's.

Sami
« Last Edit: Mar 15th, 2007, 3:51pm by Samiam » IP Logged

What doesn't kill you only makes you stronger!
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss