Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 13th, 2024, 12:19am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « TENS »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   TENS
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: TENS  (Read 420 times)
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

TENS
« on: Feb 27th, 2007, 4:10pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Anyone ever use a TENS unit / muscle stimulator on your skull during an attack?

When I busted my back up last year, I pretty much fell in love with the muscle stimulator they hooked me up to after surgery in physical therapy.  

We went ahead and bought our own mini unit for about $50 and were surprised to learn that it does exactly as well as the big unit I used at PT.  Now the whole family loves this thing, as well as anyone who visits.  We have picked up at least a half-dozen more on behalf of others since.  

So, I was thinking... I wonder what this thing would do to my skull during a CH?
Since I am not in cycle, and am doing a pretty good job at staying that way, I have no way to evaluate it.
I am not sure how I would get both pads to make contact without shaving my head... but I am not far from that now.

We found some even less expensive models here...
http://www.pacificgeek.com/searchresults.asp?search=massager&=Search %21+

I picked up one of each to try them out.  They are not as good as the $50 model, but they certainly do work.

Anyone want to try it?
Anyone bald over their CH spot?  
Let me know... I will order a unit on behalf of one or two of you.  Even if it ends up not working, you will still have a kick ass little muscle stimulator on me.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

Re: TENS
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 4:26pm »

Oooh, those things do kick butt! Had PT for a few months after going down with my bike. My back was as tight as an Olsen twins........er...you know what I mean.  
Turned my back into jelly for a day or two after just a few minutes of using it.
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 4:32pm »

on Feb 27th, 2007, 4:26pm, JeffB wrote:
...Olsen twins....

bwaaaaaa... thx... now I have iced tea all over my keyboard...  

crackup crackup crackup
crackup crackup crackup
crackup crackup crackup

Well anyway, yeah... those things rule.  Not sure what to expect with the pads on the skull during a CH, but they do shoot out voltage, thus may interrupt something that is happening in the nerves.  I dunno.  I have tried stupider things.
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 27th, 2007, 4:57pm »

Yes I use a TENS machine for reducing the ganglion lump with reasonable effect but only when I’m on a low level, there’s no way I could keep still enough anything above a KIP 8 to keep the pads in place.

It certainly won’t stop the CH but it appears to reduce the duration by relaxing the lump and the area around it.

Make sure you use plenty of the gel on the pads so that you get the full benefit, if you don’t you can give yourself burns.

I wouldn’t recommend using it anywhere else on your head as they really are only designed for muscle relaxing and stimulation & to increase circulation in damaged tissue.

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Mar 1st, 2007, 9:32pm »

For what its worth section. I asked my GP about one for my neck, his opinion was that it was probable it would be a trigger. I dont know, that stopped any further quest on my part to try it. I still wonder about it.
jb
aint you a little old for the olsen twins there Jeff? laugh
« Last Edit: Mar 1st, 2007, 9:33pm by thebbz » IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss