Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 13th, 2024, 6:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Ginger Root »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Ginger Root
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Ginger Root  (Read 1990 times)
darth_malted
New Board Newbie
USA 

Ginger Root
« on: Feb 18th, 2007, 11:45pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've been suffering CH for about 11 years now. Five years ago I read about  and started using Ginger to abort my CH. Raw ginger root has become one of my best friends. I keeps some, and a pocket knife with me at all times. As soon as I start to feel one lurking, I cut about 1/4 inch or more of fresh, raw Ginger root. I start chewing it to a pulp so I my stomach will absorb the juice more quickly.  This took some getting used to as that much raw ginger is really spicy. The small discomfort of chewing on raw ginger is nothing compared  to 3-4 hours of CH.  
This really has worked for me.  The effectiveness has been around 80% successful which is no worse than when I was taking meds like MIDRIN and there are no side effects.  

Has anyone else tried this?
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: Ginger Root
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 9:54am »

I'm glad to hear you get results from ginger.  Lots of folks have posted about using it with varying degrees of success.  I think you're the first I've seen who just chews on it as is.  There has also been quite a bit of research on ginger's capacity to decrease nerve pain.  Here is one link with some general information from a recent OUCH newsletter:
http://www.ouch-us.org/newsletters/06-2006/06-2006-07.htm
Do you use anything else to abort your headaches?  Oxygen (link on the left) is another very successful method.

patk
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
Lobster
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #2 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 12:07pm »

Mmmm... ginger.
I love ginger in any form.
The cubed glazed ginger pieces are delicious.  
If ginger is a treatment, then I welcome it.

That said, I am picky about abortives.  If I am not saying 'ahhh' in 5 minutes, chances are I would not go with it.

/allergic to intense pain
//o2 and Imitrex injection sleeper
IP Logged

Rock beats Scissors.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #3 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 1:52pm »

Bettin one post and out
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #4 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 3:02pm »

on Feb 19th, 2007, 1:52pm, vietvet2tours wrote:
Bettin one post and out

And posts like this could be why.  You know, people will show their true colors (for good or for bad) all on their own.  Why provoke someone, who might really be trying to pass along what s/he thinks is valid information, into a defensive posture right off the bat?  I really believe in some cases we create the monsters we fight.

IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 3:29pm »

Quite a few people use ginger to abort shadows.
I haven't heard of it being used for full blown attacks but that is not to say it is not possible.

Good luck and glad you found some relief.

E
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 10:27pm »

Interesting.  I have never heard of that for CH but I would try it.  It is good for digestion, and I know I get a lot of weird digestive problems (IBS) very bad when I have CH, don't know why but always have so maybe helping digestion helps the headaches somewhat.  Glad it works for you--it is yummy I will try it.
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Feb 19th, 2007, 10:52pm »

Quote:
chewing on raw ginger is nothing compared  to 3-4 hours of CH.  

I think I'm more concerned that she is getting 3 to 4 hours of CH.  Is this a real time frame for you Darth?  

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 4:37am »

I know alot of people who swear by ginger tea (literally a spoon of ginger in hot water) as an EARLY abortive. I haven't tried it myself but it seems as successful for them as red bull is for me however -  

Info you all should know

GINGER

Contraindications

Gallstones  
Ginger supplements should be discontinued at least 2 weeks prior to surgery or dental extractions to prevent excessive bleeding  

Interactions with medications

Use caution when combining with other anticoagulant herbs and medications including ginkgo, garlic, aspirin, ibuprofen and other NSAIDS  
Do not combine ginger with prescription anticoagulants like warfarin (10)  

Taken from http://www.eclecticphysician.com/herbs/ginger.shtml
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Melissa

Email

« Reply #9 on: Feb 20th, 2007, 8:18am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

If I drink it soon enough, ginger tea works just as well as coffee for me in getting rid of shadows.  Not only that, it doesn't leave me wide awake and jittery.  

Glad it works for you!

Smileymel
IP Logged
darth_malted
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 21st, 2007, 9:54pm »

I haven't tried crystalized ginger or mixing powdered ginger with water.  

Melissa,  What kind of ginger tea do you use? Do you have it already brewed up and on hand?

A year ago I started using Red Bull as well and that seems to work.  At this point if a Red Bull is available I'll take both at the first sign.  

I just ordered some pepper spray. Has anyone tried it yet?

-ted
IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:45pm »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 9:54pm, darth_malted wrote:
I haven't tried crystalized ginger or mixing powdered ginger with water.  

Melissa,  What kind of ginger tea do you use? Do you have it already brewed up and on hand?

A year ago I started using Red Bull as well and that seems to work.  At this point if a Red Bull is available I'll take both at the first sign.  

-ted
Pepper spray works real good on tacos.Maytbe ya ought to do a little reading here.Try oxygen it might work for you.
IP Logged

vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #12 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:46pm »

on Feb 19th, 2007, 3:02pm, Gator wrote:

And posts like this could be why.  You know, people will show their true colors (for good or for bad) all on their own.  Why provoke someone, who might really be trying to pass along what s/he thinks is valid information, into a defensive posture right off the bat?  I really believe in some cases we create the monsters we fight.

Hey did I get it right this time?
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #13 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 6:36pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:45pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

Pepper spray works real good on tacos.Maytbe ya ought to do a little reading here.Try oxygen it might work for you.

on Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:46pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

Hey did I get it right this time?

Considering the validation his first post received from numerous sources, it looks like he's not the only one who stand to read a bit.

IP Logged
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 6:41pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2007, 6:36pm, Gator wrote:

Considering the validation his first post received from numerous sources, it looks like he's not the only one who stand to read a bit.

I have no idea what crawled up your ass gator but you should learn to spell if you are going to fuck with me.
IP Logged

Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #15 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 7:35pm »

LOL  That's funny.  How about you point out the word spelled incorrectly in my last post?

As far as what's crawled up my ass - it's people who go out of their way to give newbies a hard time because they've posted something the trouble makers never heard of.  This "if I never heard of it or it don't work for me, therefore anyone who mentions it is wrong" crap gets old.  

IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #16 on: Feb 22nd, 2007, 8:48pm »

on Feb 21st, 2007, 9:54pm, darth_malted wrote:

-ted

Hi ted. Are you the same ted who likes to come here every once in a long while and post stuff that'll make people fight? Good to see you back if you are.  Wink

If you're not... pepper spray probably isn't going to help.  

pf wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #17 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:45am »

on Feb 22nd, 2007, 6:36pm, Gator wrote:

That would be stands not stand.
IP Logged

darth_malted
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #18 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:04pm »

on Feb 19th, 2007, 1:52pm, vietvet2tours wrote:
Bettin one post and out

You're right.  I don't know how you saw through my ruse but you did. I'm a modern day snake-oil salesman.  

I work for the powerful Ginger industry.  For the past six months, my company, a subsidiary of Halliburton, has had me trolling message boards, trying to coerce people into buying more ginger.  
Did you know, besides helping with clusters, ginger can lower your debt, pick an oscar winner, channel the dead and even increase your high score on Galaga! Grin
IP Logged
darth_malted
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #19 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:22pm »

Seriously though, I thought this was supposed to be a POSITIVE support community.  I've read this message board for over a year now and received a lot of good advice.  Since I haven't read any posts here about ginger I decided to relay my experience.  I've had really postive results and it would be selfish not to let others know of other possible options. I've read most of the threads here and the only conclusive thing I've noticed is that:

A. Nothing works 100%.  If it did,  we all would be using it.  

B. Not everything works for everybody.  

This being said we all need as many tricks in our bag as possible.  When one thing stops working or we run out of our current strategy, it's good to know that other possiblities exist.  

Yesterday I aborted 4 CH with ginger and red bull and 1 with 2 teaspoons of powdered ginger in a glass of water.  I lost 1 battle this morning since I didn't wake up in time.  I beat down antother CH this afternoon with raw ginger root. This last one kept trying for about 15 minutes but eventually expired.  

Peace and PFD

--ted--
IP Logged
darth_malted
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #20 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 3:27pm »

on Feb 22nd, 2007, 1:45pm, vietvet2tours wrote:

BTW. MAYBE you should spell-check your posts before calling the grammer police.  Wink
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 4:53pm »

Hey Darth welcome to the board. I used to let myself get fired up and get into blasting contests but Linda H. has made me sworn to stay out of the gutter fights! That being said:

I get a little worked up over how harshly some people respond to posts. I understand the need to keep out trolls, they have hurt and continue to hurt a lot of people. But it scares me to think of how many people like you, who I don't think is a troll, get disgusted with the harsh attacks and never come back. How cruel to deprive someone of the info on this board.

My point?? As my wife would claim, I rarely have one! Take the good info on the boards and ignore any personal attacks. There will always be people who are bored with life and always looking for a fight. Don't let them blind you to the rest of us on the board that hurt with you and appreciate your posts. the reponses to your post were 10-1 good to bad so, nuff said????

Wishing you some pain free times. I'll keep reading your posts with an open mind!
 Grin

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #22 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:08pm »

Sorry folks last time in this thread, I promise.  

on 02/22/07 at 17:36:15, Gator wrote:
Quote:

on Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:45am, vietvet2tours wrote:

That would be stands not stand.

Actually what I meant to say was "...who could stand to read a bit."

I figured you'd reread your post and realize how stupid you looked correcting my spelling when you use words like "Maytbe" (let's not even talk about spaces between sentences) and drop it.  Guess not.  What was that, something about pointing out a splinter in my eye with a tree in yours?  Whatever.  But hey, if it gives you something to do, my grammer's not always the best either.   You want to chase me around the message board pointing out errors, knock your socks off!

Okay, I'm done with that.  

-ted, thanks for your contribution.  Looks like there are several people who have either heard of or used ginger for their ch in some form or fashion.  

As for pepper spray, lots of people here have tried it and most found it didn't work as an abortive.  There are studies which indicate it might be more useful (even if only moderately so) when used as a preventative.

Here is a 1993 report of using capsaicin, the active ingredient in peppers, in cluster headache.

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/capsaicin.htm

Capsaicin is also the primary agent in an experimental drug called Civimide.  Here is one study, from 2002, on the effectiveness of civimide as an preventative for episodics.  Apparently, it doesn't work as well in Chronics.

http://www.ouch-us.org/medications/civamide.htm

Best thing you can do, especially since you have already ordered it, is give it a whirl.  Keep a headache journal so you can accurately track success or failure and let us know how it goes.

Welcome to the meat grinder.

Mike
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #23 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 10:40pm »

80% success rate. Ginger root juice must be some good stuff. Would someone else please jump on the Ginger root bandwagon for beta-testing ? I would, but not in cycle.
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #24 on: Feb 23rd, 2007, 11:47pm »

Well, I'm chronic....but would be willing to try ginger-need more info as all I've used is dried ginger.  You get the ginger root-which I know looks pretty funky-and then what?

kathy (willing to be a guinea pig if it will get this thread back on track)
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss