Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 14th, 2024, 10:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Temperature of oxygen »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Temperature of oxygen
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Temperature of oxygen  (Read 487 times)
Shari
New Board Newbie
USA 

Temperature of oxygen
« on: Feb 12th, 2007, 10:44am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

My husband just left to go bowling with the oxygen tank in the back of his van in case he would get a CH while he is gone. The  outside temperature is 25 degrees. My question is....would it be harmful to breath oxygen that is that cold?  Hopefully he won't have to use it at all.  But we are new at this and I am concerned.  
TIA
  Shari
« Last Edit: Feb 12th, 2007, 11:00am by Shari » IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

Re: Temperature of oxygen
« Reply #1 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 12:57pm »

I've just spent an hour trying to find the answer to your question Shari.  To no avail.  I know for a fact that many of us keep out e-tanks in the garage or a similar cold place because the colder the air, the better it acts on our HA's.  

If the tank itself or the regulator, can be damaged by below freezing temps....THAT I cannot find the answer to.  I will PM Jonny and stear him to your post.  Maybe he has a answer.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:52pm »

I would tell you all about it but, you can read for yourself
check it out Winkhttp://www.us.linde-gas.com/international/web/lg/us/likelgus30.nsf/docby alias/nav_LG
These guys know it all.
all the best
jb
Where is jonny?
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
Shari
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:54pm »

Thank you for your effort Linda, as it turned out he was okay and didn't need the oxygen.  We are still curious however to know the answer to the question.

BTW do we win something for stumping the board?  Wink
Thanks again,
Shari
IP Logged
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 2:56pm »

Here's another one
http://www.us.linde-gas.com/international/web/lg/us/likelgus30.nsf/docby alias/nav_lg_equip
happy reading
jb
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 3:06pm »

Jonny's working - almost 24/7 these days.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 3:23pm »

Ya,he is most likely grinding his pipe somewhere. laugh
Stump the board, try again.
O2 is in the atmosphere at 18% it is then filtered and compressed into a liquid. This is now 100% 02 in liquid form stable at 250deg or so below zero at 2400psi.
O2 being a cryogenic liquid, also boils and becomes a gas at 150 deg or so below zero. It also expands and warms up when this happens. To answer your question directly your 02 in gas form will be transferred from a liquid form that is very cold. Bottles and gas will assume ambient temps unless decompressed when it will gain temp by aliphiatic recompression. This means all the pressure in the bottle is forcing o2 threw a small opening..recompressing and heating the material. Being a cryogenic gas it will always be cool even on the hottest day's.
Run it through a bubbler with cool water and it makes no difference.
jb
gas master...
stump the board ...you want more?
IP Logged

mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 5:13pm »

The answer is no.  It is not cold enough to have any effects on the O2.  However, it could be a problem if it were outside in HIGH temps.

Good Luck and lots of Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 6:07pm »

Quote:
BTW do we win something for stumping the board?

Nope.  lmao@you.  

The people on this board are UN-STUMPABLE.  It was me who didn't know if the tank and regulator itself could be damaged in those low temps.

IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 8:26pm »

I cant comment directly on the exact temperature of oxygen to be used, but it seems that the colder the better it works for CH.

Daniel uses compressed oxygen at home and its quite cold. When he was in hospital, they gave him room temperature oxygen and he told me it didnt work quite as well.

Annette
IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 10:18pm »

The only problem you should be concerned with is letting the gauge and regulator freeze. If moisture accumulates around the regulator and gauges, it can freeze causing the unit to be inoperatable. It would probably be best of you keep the top of the tank covered in a blanket during extreme cold temps.
IP Logged
Shari
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 10:47pm »

Thank you for all of your responses, I knew one or all of you would know the answer to my question.  This board is a mountain of information and you seem to be a close knit family.  If anyone was offended by  my lame attempt at humor about stumping the board,  I apologize. My husband is 71 years old and in his 4th cycle of CH. But he is stubborn like most men and doesn't want this Beast to control his life, consequently off he goes on a frigid day with the 02 in the back van.  He is in the 3rd week of this cycle. He is on 4mg of methysergide maleate a day and 02 as an abortive. It has been a day and a half without a CH.  Three days ago he had 5 in one day, but the 02 stops them. We hope that was the peak and that they will taper off now.
Thanks again.
Shari and Gil
IP Logged
Skyhawk5
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 11:23pm »

I've had to use my O2 many times after it being in my truck at as low as 10*. The only real problem is the hose can become quite brittle and break if one is not careful. Happened to me. Now I know if it does to put the hose end in the mouth, for this emergency.

God Bless us all,    Skyhawk
IP Logged
swimchica623
New Board Veteran
USA 

Get hit.  Hit back harder.  That's life.

swimchica623

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 1:14pm »

Using cold O2 can make the O2 more effective, but I haven't experimented yet because cold air can cause bronchospasms, even to some degree in non-asthmatic lungs (I have very severe asthma which is why I only use room temperature O2).  That's the only danger I could see in using really cold O2....might make you cough and if you are getting over a cold or something you might take even longer to catch your breath after using it.  Just a warning....but if you don't have any breathing problems you should be okay.
IP Logged
Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

« Reply #14 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 11:15am »

I weld with oxy and acetelean, and with electrical welders too, but this is gas welding here ok..

The Oxygen is so far as I can tell the very same stuff, for medical use. ( My referance is seeing medical bottles being filled right next to welding tanks.)

What is in the bottle is liquid oxy, and it comes out as a gas. More or less the conversion from liquid to gas cools the bottle, the hose, and it tends to come out pretty cold.

Being at say -40 degree's F it might be dangerous to breath, because that temp is cold enough to freeze flesh almost instantly, but with a shallow breath one can breath air that cold. I know this as I have breathed air at -96'f hiking in dead winter in the White Mountains of New Hampster.

A mere +25 above 0 shouldn't be any sort of a problem.

I am assuming he has a mask, and so there is a air gap between his face, and the oxy gas..

I just take oxy right off the torch handle grip with the welding/ cutting heads removed, and hold the grip about 1/2" off my lips... I turn the control on and off as I breath, and have my gauge set to about 15 psi.

The main problem is more like sitting in a vehical freezin yer tail end off if you don't start it for heat...

It is, or has been recently in single digits here at night and a bit below 0, which really is warmer than normal here, and I wouldn't have a problem heading out to the barn for oxy, other than the barn has no way to be heated....

Everyone is a bit different, and I find I need about 30 minutes time to abort a Ch, which for me is about 15 minutes faster than the Ch lasts in the first place.

If I suffer the Ch the next day I have a hangover like feeliing, but even then if I go do oxy I can clear that too.

I can tell somehown a Ch is coming before it gets bad, and for me that is the time to start oxy, and if I do I can escape. ANyway I hope this helps your husband and clears any wonder about more harm. I didn't read the links above either, this is all based on me and my experience, which I hope is valid.. Mac
IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 2:12pm »

Quote:
If anyone was offended by  my lame attempt at humor about stumping the board,  I apologize

Shari, trust me.  No one was offended at what you said at all.  It WAS  funny.   Grin
IP Logged

Mac_Muz
New Board Old Timer
USA 

new hampster "eat seeds or die"

Email

« Reply #16 on: Feb 17th, 2007, 3:02pm »

ouch! While Linda didn't say anything, the regulators don't like cold much. This won't cause harm to a human trying to breath, but it could kill the rubber diaphram in time.

If the diaphram fails pretty much what happens is the big flat rubber disk tries to pass thru a 1/4" hole and gags up.. So then the regulator would need to be re-built.
IP Logged

When all else fails read the instructions.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss