Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 15th, 2024, 12:17pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Melatonin ( side effect) »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Melatonin ( side effect)
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Melatonin ( side effect)  (Read 725 times)
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Melatonin ( side effect)
« on: Feb 9th, 2007, 3:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

The gonad report and other melatonin articles

Popular Supplement Melatonin Found To Have Broader Effects In Brain Than Once Thought

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2005/02/050211100050.htm
IP Logged

MJ
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

Re: Melatonin ( side effect)
« Reply #1 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 8:54am »

Well I can see first-hand that it is NOT an issue for me.  Grin
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 11:10am »

For people using 9-10mg/day as a preventive, this is a cautionary read to be aware of.

Last week the press carried a good report--analysis of side effects of a wide range of supplements--data drawn from hospital ERs and such sources. Melatonin was not showing high levels of side effects but, again, worth looking for this report.
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
dougW
New Board Veteran
Canada 

pain is inevitable.   suffering is optional

Email

« Reply #3 on: Feb 9th, 2007, 1:18pm »

Ahhh, the dangers of extrapolation and media sensationalism.  Certainly caution should be used when you are taking anything for any condition.
Including taking medical literature at face value!

In the release from UC Berkeley News, the source of that article in 2005 is a quote from Dr. Bentley:  
"Bentley noted that melatonin could have good as well as bad effects, but that the current lack of knowledge of the hormone's function in the human brain is troubling."

Yet for some interesting reason only the possible bad effects were discussed.  Hmmm.

It may be a (big) stretch to study quails and sparrows and apply those results to humans.  Especially when you consider the methods involved in their early and later studies.  Several extensive projects by Dr's Bentley and Tsutsui have led to some interesting discoveries (below) but is it applicable to humans?  They did not attempt to say so in the studies, yet eh press seems to think it may.   Hmmm.

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/102/8
/3052
Melatonin induces the expression of gonadotropin-inhibitory hormone in the avian brain
"....Pinealectomy (Px) combined with orbital enucleation (Ex) (Px plus Ex) ....." (removal of pineal gland and the eye)

http://endo.endojournals.org/cgi/content/abstract/147/3/1187
Development and Maintenance by Decreasing Gonadotropin Synthesis and Release in Male Quail
"....Continuous administration of GnIH to mature birds via osmotic pumps for 2 wk...."
"....In immature birds, daily administration of GnIH for 2 wk...."

http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/full/96/8/4674
Seasonal neuroplasticity in the songbird telencephalon: A role for melatonin
"....Twenty-four photorefractory male starlings...8 h light and 6 h darkness per day were castrated under anesthesia...."

Yes, these were good laboratory studies, don't live in a lab if you have CH, and only believe half of what your read.

Thanks for starting this post, as I said at the start, it is good to question everything you take in the treatment of your CH.

Who the heck funds this stuff anyway?   Wink

Doug
IP Logged

Out beyond wrong doing and right doing there is a field of luminous consciousness. I'll meet you there. (Rumi)
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 10:50am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
In experiments on the Japanese quail

relevance????
IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 10th, 2007, 11:18am »

on Feb 9th, 2007, 1:18pm, dougW wrote:

It may be a (big) stretch to study quails and sparrows and apply those results to humans.  
http://www.pnas.org/cgi/content/abstract/102/8
/3052
Melatonin induces the expression of gonadotropin-inhibitory hormone in the avian brain

I'd be interested to see the effects on primates, let alone mammals.    

Birds are quite a bit different in many ways, and are very, very distant relatives.

Best,

George  

IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss