Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 12th, 2024, 8:22pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Cannabinoid studies »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Cannabinoid studies
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Cannabinoid studies  (Read 437 times)
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

Cannabinoid studies
« on: Feb 7th, 2007, 6:47pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Below is the last sentence in the research on the OUCH website on cluster medication research.  Anectdotally, people have stated that cannabis is a trigger.  This shows that it may not be.  That it may in fact help some.
Any port in a storm.  I'm not advocating this-or dissing it-just think that when folks show up here and say that smoking pot helps them, they may be right and who the heck am I to argue with aa person who has found something that helps.  Crap, I never condemmed the "vinegar and bleu cheese" folks or the "doing 100 push ups" folks, not gonna attack those who think cannabis helps.  HOWEVER, it is illegal for the most part and therapuetic doses are probably pretty low (as oppossed to getting really high).

"The data suggest that CB receptors may have therapeutic potential in migraine, cluster headache or other primary headaches, although the potential hazards of psychoactive side-effects that accompany cannabinoid treatments may be complex to overcome."

PMID: 17018694

PFDAN y'all and peace out,
kathy

IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

Re: Cannabinoid studies
« Reply #1 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 7:08pm »

When in cycle I stay away from the beer and booze but do not put aside the buds. I find that it's easier for me to get back to sleep after a 2am hit. My clusters are like a time clock and it doesn't matter if I smoked or not I still got hit.  
Hope your doing well, Kathy, we need to do lunch soon!
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
retrovertigo
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 8:43pm »

I have heard that pot use releases serotonin and is a vasoconstrictor. One would think the vasoconstriction would positively benefit a CH sufferer. The serotonin release could potentially disrupt circadian rhythms, which would be bad.

That said. it's never seemed to have any effect for me one way or the other. Any booze, even a sip of beer, would result in an instant 10+. But a puff here or there hasn't stopped them or brought them on.
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #3 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 10:18pm »

Well, Jeff, like "doing lunch" sounds so, I don't know, like totally Californian yuppie....but it seems to me that you mentioned coming up to the north state one of these days....we're not that far away.  If you want to go skiing at Mt.Shasta, stop in in Redding-you'll be one hour away from the slopes.  Open invitation Jeff.
God bless ya big time with some PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Feb 7th, 2007, 10:27pm »

Kathy, I have noticed that since I (came out of the closet) about busting that I seem to be getting less responses to my posts then I used to. Probobly just paranoia since I thought that you might have been one of the people I care deeply about and yet I imagined that you were one of those I had "put off" somehow.  

No I am not sitting here smoking pot so it must just be old age paranoia Roll Eyes.

Hugz and best vibes from your buddy.....Tim
IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Feb 8th, 2007, 11:33am »

on Feb 7th, 2007, 10:18pm, kcopelin wrote:
Well, Jeff, like "doing lunch" sounds so, I don't know, like totally Californian yuppie....but it seems to me that you mentioned coming up to the north state one of these days....we're not that far away.  If you want to go skiing at Mt.Shasta, stop in in Redding-you'll be one hour away from the slopes.  Open invitation Jeff.
God bless ya big time with some PFDAN
kathy

Well, Honey Bun, If it would friggin snow this year I would be up there just to play around and stop in on you and Ms. Linda.
I've been wanting to go to Dunsmuir since December just for the snow and springs. Make it snow!!!!!!!
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #6 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 8:03pm »

You need to also realize that the most of the studies were done with Anandamide (a substance similar to Delta 9 THC) and not by actually smoking pot.  

Anandamide has at least two different effects -  

1. Acts as a vasodilator = bad for clusters

2. Inhibits trigeminal neurons = good for clusters

We are all different in how we respond to the various medications and substances.  Maybe the people for whom pot is a trigger get more of effect #1 and others get more of effect #2.

It could also be that the compound they are using is not as similar as it should be or there may be something else in marijuana that triggers some people but not others.

Either way, it is obvious that marijuana is not a trigger for everyone and therefore if it helps someone cope, even if it is to get a little bit more sleep, more power to them.

IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #7 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 8:23pm »

My only concern is the long term effect of smoking marijuana. There has been evidence that long term and heavy use of pot linked to the development of schizophrenia, paranoia and other forms of mental illnesses in some users.

One can have a relatively normal life with CH, even chronic CH , but not with long term drug use.

Just my 2c.

Annette
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #8 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 9:22pm »

Your concern may be warranted, but I don't think anyone here is talking about "heavy" use.  Fact is, anything that can be used, can be abused.  Alcohol abuse causes severe medical problems and can kill you just as dead as any of the prescription or "illegal" drugs.

IP Logged
BlueMeanie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 9:50pm »

on Feb 12th, 2007, 8:23pm, BB wrote:

My only concern is the long term effect of smoking marijuana. There has been evidence that long term and heavy use of pot linked to the development of schizophrenia, paranoia and other forms of mental illnesses

Growing up in the 60's and witnessing 100's of ppl who smoke and have smoked, I've never heard of any of them developing schizophrenia, paranoia or any other forms of mental illness. You sure that article wasn't written in the 50's ?  
I agree it's a trigger for CH's though.
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

« Reply #10 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 10:18pm »

on Feb 12th, 2007, 9:50pm, BlueMeanie wrote:

You sure that article wasn't written in the 50's ?  

Or from the movie, Reefer Madness? LOL Recently I've seen studies that indicate that THC may be an effective treatment for depression, and it can slow down, or even prevent the effects of Alzheimer's and certain dementias. Of course... given that...how do you keep from turning into Tommy Chong?  Grin
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
froggy
New Board Veteran
USA 

Don't rain on my parade

« Reply #11 on: Feb 12th, 2007, 11:03pm »

Hey there,

Been doin' buds for about 30 years, none of my personalities have told me that I have a problem, all systems go!

Tony did try it and it did nothing for him.  Interesting study.
IP Logged

froggy
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #12 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 12:55am »

As I have never used any type of drugs, my knowledge and understanding of these substances are purely academic, ie things that I have learnt from one source or another , but not from personal experience.

Also being in my profession, I tend to see only the bad side of drug use ie when people become medically ill with it.

Therefore I freely admit that my view point may be rather biased.

I would like to learn from people who have direct and personal experience with marijuana as to whether it is physically/mentally/emotionally possible for a person to use the drugs recreationally or for medical reason for long term without developing addiction and/or abuse ?

Painfree wishes to all.

Annette
IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 2:23am »

I wouldn't advocate use of marijuana unless it's for medical purposes.

on Feb 13th, 2007, 12:55am, BB wrote:

There has been evidence that long term and heavy use of pot linked to the development of schizophrenia, paranoia and other forms of mental illnesses

being in my profession, I tend to see only the bad side of drug use ie when people become medically ill with it.

Therefore I freely admit that my view point may be rather biased.

Annette

In your "profession"; how many people have you seen with schizophrenia, paranoia and other forms of mental illness caused by long term use of cannibinoids? "? How did you treat them? What were your sources when you "learnt from one source or another"?

BB  
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #14 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 2:47am »

Annette, I toked up pretty regularly in high school.  It wasn't one of those things that I breathlessly anticipated doing.  It was more of just something my friends and I did when we got together.  Hell, I even grew my own in the middle of a large switch cane patch on our property.  I carried a 3.89 GPA into my senior year of high school and graduated fourth of 124 students.  After high school, I smoked a few times.  I enjoyed the feeling I got when I smoked it, but I never did get "hooked" on it.   I haven't had any since probably 1982.  

I have to admit, I've never seen the movie "Refer Madness," but I have to laugh at the title.  Marijuana never did anything for my friends or me, except mellow us out, give us the giggles and the munchies.  

IP Logged
BikerBob
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 3:19am »

on Feb 13th, 2007, 2:47am, Gator wrote:

I have to admit, I've never seen the movie "Refer Madness," but I have to laugh at the title.  

Here ya go, Gator.  It's pretty funny......

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-6696582420128930236

BB  laugh
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #16 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 7:29am »

on Feb 7th, 2007, 6:47pm, kcopelin wrote:
Below is the last sentence in the research on the OUCH website on cluster medication research

"The data suggest that CB receptors may have therapeutic potential in migraine, cluster headache or other primary headaches, although the potential hazards of psychoactive side-effects that accompany cannabinoid treatments may be complex to overcome."

I see the last sentence of what the data suggest has two parts to it.  Whether it is an added warning after the comma or part of what the data suggest is blurry.  I would believe it to be perhaps the former.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2007, 7:41am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 10:22am »

on Feb 13th, 2007, 2:23am, BikerBob wrote:
I wouldn't advocate use of marijuana unless it's for medical purposes.

In your "profession"; how many people have you seen with schizophrenia, paranoia and other forms of mental illness caused by long term use of cannibinoids? "? How did you treat them? What were your sources when you "learnt from one source or another"?

BB  

Within the last year alone I saw 3 patients with sudden onset psychotic , brought in by families and were sent by me to the hospital where they were assessed by the psych team and diagnosed with schizophrenia.

They were later discharged back into my care with reports from the Drugs and Alcohol Team, who stated  that their long term use of marijuana contributed to the onset of psychosis and possibly the development of schizophrenia. All three were long term heavy users and there is no family history of any form of mental illness.

I cant disclose confidential information but will say that they are now stable on medication. Unfortunately two have gone back to smoking marijuana again.

I do not treat these patients on my own but in conjunction with the teams at the local hospital. Its multidisciplinary involving the Mental Health Team, the Drug and Alcohol Team and the Rehab Team. Occasionally the Medical Tribunal and the Police are also involved.

I learn from many sources, from formal post grad programs to regular programs held at the hospital or by the College of GP, also through medical publications and books and conferences and seminars. I also like to learn directly from people/patients who are users themselves.

Annette
IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #18 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 10:23am »

Thanks Gator for being so frank about your personal experiences  Smiley  I really appreciate it !  Kiss

Annette
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 10:42am »

BikerBob if ever the urge to make a nice post overwhelms you do you think you could give a health warning at the top of it for those of us who may have a coronary?!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

froggy
New Board Veteran
USA 

Don't rain on my parade

« Reply #20 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 11:02am »

BB, I definitely see your position.

By no means am I a stoner.  I've smoked on and off for quite a while, but like Gator, I don't anticipate having to have it.  

I quit smoking during most of High school because I played 3 sports year round, graduated from college, ran my own business  for the last 12 years and now am retired at age 40.  

Like everything else, thank God everybody is different.
IP Logged

froggy
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #21 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 3:26pm »

I guess I should be in a loony bin Grin

Jeff"I think I'm being followed"B
IP Logged

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 3:34pm »

on Feb 13th, 2007, 3:26pm, JeffB wrote:
I'm posting from the loony bin Grin

Jeff"I hope I'm being followed"B

S'Better  Grin
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #23 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 3:39pm »

Tongue

Thats it, I'm grabbing my bong and goddies and heading over there.
« Last Edit: Feb 13th, 2007, 3:40pm by JeffB » IP Logged

echo
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Chronic and still alive --- I Win!

« Reply #24 on: Feb 13th, 2007, 4:45pm »

on Feb 13th, 2007, 3:39pm, JeffB wrote:
Tongue

Thats it, I'm grabbing my bong and goddies and heading over there.

Where are we meeting?  I've got a full tank of gas and ready for a road trip?
IP Logged

"If you love something, let it go. If it doesn't come back, hunt it down and kill it".

Proud Dad of a US Marine, and a former Marine turned Police Officer.

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss