Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 15th, 2024, 2:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Question about alcohol & CH »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Question about alcohol & CH
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Question about alcohol & CH  (Read 1204 times)
waljr38
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Question about alcohol & CH
« on: Jan 7th, 2007, 12:39am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,everyone this will be my first post ever so i hope the words come out right. I'm so glad i found this place!The first time i went through a cycle was five years ago it lasted for twelve weeks. I was not diagnosed with ch intil the tenth week, and didnt have a clue what was happen to me .One question i have is could alcohol trigger a cycle to start? The reason i ask is because the first cycle i went through i related the alcohol to the HAs. So i quit drinking ,five years go by pf intil three weeks ago at our company christmas party .I had 4 shots of JD and 5 beers (was feeling pretty good  Tongue) Two days later i felt the ice pick behind my right eye and the cycle started. I'm somewhere around the third week into my cycle and have a lot of questions. This is all pretty new to me but i have learned alot here in a weeks time, and am better equiped to talk to the nero on monday. I think any neuro who treats ch should be required to spend at least ten hours at this site!!!  God bless you all ,and thankyou for being here! Smiley
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

Re: Question about alcohol & CH
« Reply #1 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 12:41am »

Alcohol is a known trigger for MANY episodics.

It is possible
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
pubgirl
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

The next person who calls it a migraine eats teeth

« Reply #2 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 11:21am »

Alcohol triggers attacks for me, but not cycles.  

The cycle happens when it wants to and I can feel it coming, so I stop drinking then as I can drink freely when out of cycle.

It may be that alcohol triggers cycles for you, or that you were going to have one anyway and the alcohol was a coincidence.

W
IP Logged

Calling all Brits (and anyone else- all welcome) Join OUCH UK and help us fight CH together
burnt-toast
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 11:44am »

In my case even a small amount of alcohol triggers severe attacks.  Even before I was diagnosed a connection between alcohol and my attacks was obvious.  But this is not consistent for every sufferer.      

Alcohol is considered a common trigger when sufferers are in cyle.  On the other hand it reportedly is not a common trigger for sufferers when out of cycle and is not considered a factor in initiating new cycles.    

Many chronics report that alcohol increases the number and/or intensity of attacks while others report that alcohol has no effect on their symptoms.

If you are suffering from CH, one thing is certain.  You have a lot of work to do in determining what to avoid and finding treatment(s) that help you improve your symptoms.  

Best wishes on your journey,  

Tom
IP Logged

Would the owner of the propane torch, egg beater, pipe expander and vise grips please claim these items. They're lodged in my head and I need the space.
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 12:36pm »

I drink when off cycle, been fighting the beast about 28 years. When on cycle I don't touch alcohol as it's an instant trigger fro an attack! It has never started a cycle for me.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
TonyG1

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 2:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I've never had alcohol trigger a cycle; however, when in cycle I never touch the stuff as it is guaranteed that it will trigger an attack.  When out of cycle, it is a non-issue
IP Logged
Shedz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

OUCH UK MEMBER

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jan 7th, 2007, 2:40pm »

What Tony said, its the same for me.
IP Logged

I push my fingers into my eyes, It's the only thing that slowly stops the ache, But it's made of all the things I have to take, Jesus it never ends it just works its way inside, If the pain goes on, I AM gonna make it.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xps7AM8HbjE
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 2:15am »

I'm chronic; stout,white wine & scotch is fine for me but one beer & A /T I go.

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 3:37am »

on Jan 7th, 2007, 2:13pm, TonyG1 wrote:
I've never had alcohol trigger a cycle; however, when in cycle I never touch the stuff as it is guaranteed that it will trigger an attack.  When out of cycle, it is a non-issue

Agreed.

Best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
trish
New Board Newbie
England 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 6:04am »

YES! DEFINITELY!

My husband has CHs triggered by alcohol. He once stopped drinking for 2 years, and had no CH's...  (He's had them for about 12 years now)

If he is not in a cycle he can drink, BUT if he overdoes it and drinks too much (ie goes on a bender)  about 3 days later he'll get start a cycle of CHs.  

Alcohol DEFINITELY trigger his cycles also, if in a cycle, a few mouthfuls can trigger a CH. As far as I can remember he has never had a CH that wasnt alcohol related.  

He's having some master blasters right now, and has vowed to give up alcohol for ever... Ive heard that many times before, but always hope that this time its for real...

Stick your feet in a bath of freezing cold water at the first sign of an attack - it may abort the headache. Also immediately drinking coke or strong coffee  (Im getting some Red Bull today for him to try that) and, bizarrely, stroking our cat helps him - sometimes...  

I think that my husband (and you by the sound of it?) is dead lucky in the great scheme of CH things ...... if not drinking means not getting CH's then not having alcohol is a small price to pay....... most of the CH sufferers around here would probably give anything for such an 'easy' solution!?!  

t
xxxx
« Last Edit: Jan 8th, 2007, 8:00am by trish » IP Logged
barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 6:31am »

Hi. I am a beer drinker and have never connected the CH with alcohol. I am in cycle now and have a couple of beers in the evening with no problem. I guess every-one is different with different triggers, and alcohol is not my trigger. CHEERS!

Barry me&mb
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

birdman
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Will try anything once!

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jan 8th, 2007, 12:56pm »

I am in agreement, in cycle stay away.  Out of cycle, no problem
IP Logged
MorDog
New Board Newbie
USA 

Not Again!

Email

« Reply #12 on: Jan 13th, 2007, 3:23pm »

on Jan 7th, 2007, 2:40pm, Shedz wrote:
What Tony said, its the same for me.

Ditto for me too!
IP Logged

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #13 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 10:40am »

I've suspected that a period of heavier drinking has resulted in a cycle starting for me in the past. Although since this has not been a consistent experience I am of the opinion that this period of heavier drinking was accompanied by a period of realy screwy sleep patterns (staying out late, getting up at wierd times, constantly tired, catnaps at goofy times, etc...) and the timing of a cycle got bumped up a bit.

For my last two cycles alcohol actually hasn't been an automatic trigger, while in the past having a beer was like starting the "launch sequence".

hope that helps.

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
gonz2112
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 1:02pm »

Alcohol has never started a cycle for me, but certainly has triggered attacks in the past.

on Jan 8th, 2007, 6:04am, trish wrote:
My husband has CHs triggered by alcohol. He once stopped drinking for 2 years, and had no CH's...

I have not had a drink in 14 years and my cycles have continued with not much change in frequency. Perhaps a little further apart, but also longer in duration.  

So if you are thinking about quitting drinking to stop your CH's it probably won't work. If you are thinking about quitting because you have a problem then PM me and I'll tell you how I did it. (Xango juice)Wink

Mark
IP Logged

Episodic since 1986 at age 19.
Lissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 1:55pm »

Oh yes!  I remember cycles starting after a night of drinking.  That definitely could be a trigger.
IP Logged

Episodic cluster survivor since 1995 at age 16.
edbeek
New Board Newbie
Australia 

« Reply #16 on: Jan 15th, 2007, 10:17pm »

Way back when, before I knew WTF a CH was, one beer would trigger a hit immediately for me, but after the CH passed, I could keep drinking all night without further hits. Since I learnt a bit about CH, I never drank alcohol when in cycle.
I can't say alcohol triggers a cycle for me because I have had 7 years remission while I was a regular drinker, and now after 3 years of virtually no alcohol my cycle has started again.
IP Logged
ozzyrocks36
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #17 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 2:13pm »

When I'm not in cycle, I can drink what i want,when i want, as much as I want..but when in cycle I'm afraid to  go in a place that even sells alcohol...I'm  episodic though; dont know about chronic heads....I don't really feel that it will start a cycle though.....It never has me anyway
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #18 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 3:36pm »

I'm chronic and I can drink alcohol without it triggering hits but I do have to watch red wine as it CAN.. not always but I do "know" when its one of those times when I just shouldn't even think about it. Although, to be honest, I wouldn't drink alcohol at all then anyway.
Hope that helps
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #19 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 5:52pm »

Alcohol used to trigger attacks for me, but never a cycle.  But now I can drink whenever I want, even in cycle, although most times when I'm in cycle, I really don't feel like drinking.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #20 on: Jan 23rd, 2007, 10:50pm »

Alcohol has never triggered a cycle for me.  I started getting them before I ever touched alcohol.  In college party time alcohol did not even trigger cluster headaches during cycle.  Went through periods of time where I abstained from alcohol completely and didn't make a difference with the beast, same with smoking.  In my mid-20's I went to a Stevie Nicks concert a few sips into a glass of wine the beast started pounding my head and never drank again during a cycle.
In college I did not drink wine, so maybe wine specifically was/is a trigger for the headache.  The cycle itself I think we are dealing with a bigger animal that comes on for a broader reason than alcohol.  But for you it could be some type of trigger for the cycle who knows--alcohol effects everyone differently.
IP Logged
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #21 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 5:25am »

Alcohol is a trigger for me! That's why I've become pretty much complitely sober since CH started.

PF days to all,
Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

Chrisjg23
New Board Newbie
USA 

Manage and Move Along

« Reply #22 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 2:34pm »

Ahh if it were that easy to find the cause! Since this is my first CH episode, I have read quite a lot and consider myself somewhat knowledgeable on the topic. Anyways, I was reading what possible causes for CH could be or at least what CH sufferers had in common and they were:

1. Head trauma
2. Extreme heat or cold
3. Heavy Drinking
4. Heavy Smoking

It just so happens that I accomplished 3 out of the 4 in a 3 day period just as my CHs started...A great friend of mine came home for 2 weeks from Afghanistan (Army) and we caught up over a bottle and a half of bourbon. Two days later, myself and a bunch of guys played flag football on Turkey day morning...Not only was it the coldest I've ever been, but I also took an elbow to the head--left temple--same side as my CH!(not sure it was traumatic, though.)

I don't smoke so getting all 4 was tough...but I find it hard to believe that all of those events had nothing to do with my CHs...
« Last Edit: Jan 24th, 2007, 2:35pm by Chrisjg23 » IP Logged
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #23 on: Jan 24th, 2007, 7:43pm »

on Jan 24th, 2007, 2:34pm, Chrisjg23 wrote:
Anyways, I was reading what possible causes for CH could be or at least what CH sufferers had in common and they were:

1. Head trauma
2. Extreme heat or cold
3. Heavy Drinking
4. Heavy Smoking

I don't smoke so getting all 4 was tough...but I find it hard to believe that all of those events had nothing to do with my CHs...

Dunno, Chris.  If there are precipitating factors for CH, other than a malformed hypothalumus, I don't qualify for any of the ones listed above.  I started getting them at 13, years before I ever sampled alcohol or tobacco, and I've never had any head trauma.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #24 on: Jan 25th, 2007, 2:47pm »

I started getting them before any alcohol/smoking.  I did have a head injury when I was 2.  I do not think that is why I get them--but my mother thinks it is why.
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss