Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 28th, 2024, 11:39pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Water Treatment. How much is too much? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Water Treatment. How much is too much?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Water Treatment. How much is too much?  (Read 484 times)
CraigA27
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Water Treatment. How much is too much?
« on: Nov 29th, 2006, 1:52pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I apologise if this has already been asked but i was unable to  find it using the search facility.

I was reading the water x3 article on the left and thought its got to be worth ago since its free.

After reading it i went googleing water treatment for CH and came up with lots of sites refering to "hyponatremia" or "Water intoxication".

So my question is basically how much water can i drink without actually ending up in a coma or dead?

I know its probably a really excessive amount that i wont be able to drink but id rather be safe than sorry.

From reading around it seems the kidneys can get rid of roughly a litre per hour. As long as im not drinking more than that am i ok?  

In the last 4 hours i have probably drank just under 2 litres
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

Re: Water Treatment. How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29th, 2006, 2:22pm »

hi Craig - you're exactly right to be cautious when trying the water treatment.  I think it really does depend on your body weight, I doubt there is a universal answer to this question.

If you do the 'drink an 8 oz glass every hour' regime and, assuming you're awake for, what...16 hours a day then, that's 128 ounces in a day, that's 4 gallons a day, or roughly 8 litres.  I'd say you're right on target if you're only a quarter of the way through your day.

However, everyone is different.  Please do tell your doc that you are doing this, especially if you have any underlying kidney or liver conditions.  Are you on any other meds?  It's a good idea to supplement with a multivitamin while doing this so you don't wash out all the good stuff.  

Here's what about.com says about water intoxication:

"It's Not How Much You Drink, It's How Fast You Drink It!

The kidneys of a healthy adult can process fifteen liters of water a day! You are unlikely to suffer from water intoxication, even if you drink a lot of water, as long as you drink over time as opposed to intaking an enormous volume at one time. As a general guideline, most adults need about three quarts of fluid each day. Much of that water comes from food, so 8-12 eight ounce glasses a day is a common recommended intake. You may need more water if the weather is very warm or very dry, if you are exercising, or if you are taking certain medications. The bottom line is this: it's possible to drink too much water, but unless you are running a marathon or an infant, water intoxication is a very uncommon condition. "

IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 1:45pm »

Margi is right to consider the medications you are on.

I noticed after I started taking Topamax that I could not stay out of the bathroom. (How long did it take them to connect the Topamax with the kidney stones, I wonder?)

I am drinking considerably more water than I would drink were I not on this medication, and sometimes I still feel that aching in my lower back that says I need to drink a little bit more.

Keep coming back, someone will post the magic number. (That's a trick to keep you around Grin).
IP Logged
CraigA27
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 9:29pm »

Thanks for the responses.

Pardon my french but S**T drinking this much water is hard work  Grin

Anyway hit due soon i can feel him shaking his cage gonna drink a glass of water down a red bull then stick my head in the sink of nice icy cold water. Does life get any better than this.... sheer bliss  Cheesy Cheesy
IP Logged
CynthiaB
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 9:59pm »

Clear p*ss? Mine too. Oh ...you said sheer bliss!!!n Yes, of course. I agree.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #5 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 4:37am »

My own experience is that very few people actually drink the so called  "recommended 8 glasses of water per day" - and that's already lots of water!

If you drink down an 8oz glass of water as soon as you get out of bed and then follow up with another glass before breakfast, then the chances are you will start the peeing cycle. Then drink a glass every time you pee. This will probably be every 30 mins for the first few days until your body adjusts to the extra water. You will then be drinking about 20 or so glasses per day at 1 per half hour or so. I have done this many times for weeks on end and never got "water intoxicated". It does lessen the pain a bit and I doubt this amount will harm you in any way. After about a week or so you will find that your need to pee will be much less often.  Cool

Another up side for some is that you will feel less hungry, and many people lose weight on this regime.

I hope this helps you.

John
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #6 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 5:59am »

I drink about 2 litres a day. It doesn't seem much because I have a glass near me when I'm at home and sip it during the day.

But I do recall how hard it was when I first begun to add more water into my diet. Grin

I hope it helps you guys!

Sanna
IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 12:53pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Nov 29th, 2006, 2:22pm, Margi wrote:

If you do the 'drink an 8 oz glass every hour' regime and, assuming you're awake for, what...16 hours a day then, that's 128 ounces in a day, that's 4 gallons a day, or roughly 8 litres.  I'd say you're right on target if you're only a quarter of the way through your day.

??!!

128 ounces = 4 gallons
128 ounces = 4 quarts
128 ounces = 1 gallon

4 gallons = 8 liters;
4 gallons  = 15.1 liters  (US gallons)
1 gallon = 3.8 liters  

Short term (day or two), most people can double or triple their normal water consumption with no problems.    

In the long term, the amount of water that it is safe to drink depends on how much sodium, potassium, calcium and magnesium is in the food you eat, and the health of your kidneys.    

« Last Edit: Dec 1st, 2006, 12:59pm by floridian » IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 12:55pm »

on Dec 1st, 2006, 4:37am, jmorgan52 wrote:

If you drink down an 8oz glass of water as soon as you get out of bed and then follow up with another glass before breakfast, then the chances are you will start the peeing cycle. Then drink a glass every time you pee. This will probably be every 30 mins for the first few days until your body adjusts to the extra water. You will then be drinking about 20 or so glasses per day at 1 per half hour or so.  

After about a week or so you will find that your need to pee will be much less often.  Cool

John

Where does the extra water go?  Cool
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #9 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 1:07pm »

on Dec 1st, 2006, 12:55pm, floridian wrote:

Where does the extra water go?  Cool

Simple - after a week or so of drinking lots of extra water, your body adjusts somehat, And your need to pee so urgently every half hour dies down to the more "normal" 5 or 6 times a day. But... they are REALLY BIG PEES  Grin
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 1:53pm »

on Dec 1st, 2006, 12:53pm, floridian wrote:

??!!

er...um.....yeah - you're right, Flo - my bad.  Thanks for catching that.  Sheesh!   Roll Eyes  I was confusing quarts with gallons - duh....and then getting the math totally wrong on top of that!  

I have a hard time with the old fashioned measuring system at the best of times, metric makes so much more sense.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it. Tongue
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
floridian

Email

« Reply #11 on: Dec 1st, 2006, 7:26pm »

My vote is for the metric system, too. Except Celcius should be only for chemistry.  Room temperature, body temperature, a cool day - those are all better in Farenheit.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss