Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 1:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Can interrupting your sleep work? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Can interrupting your sleep work?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Can interrupting your sleep work?  (Read 454 times)
Randall_Swain
New Board Newbie
Australia 

Thank you to all the supporters!

Can interrupting your sleep work?
« on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:29pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All

Last night I had two attacks - one 90 minutes after going to bed, and the next 90 minutes after going to bed following the first attack.  Speaking to a few people around here, 90 minutes into sleep seems to be the key.

My beautiful wife unfortunately had to witness my 10+ last night (second attack - first was about an 8 or 9) and I was in absolute stark raving mad agony...  She was there for me and it was wonderful that she was - although I hate that I woke her and she had to see that.... Me a blubbering, weeping, spasming 38 year old!

Anyhow, we have discussed how it seems to be that I am on a strict 90 minute profile for attacks - if I try to stay awake longer, 90 minutes after I eventually go to sleep I end up with an attack - regular as clockwork.

So Mel came up with an idea.  We have learnt that my attacks come as I hit REM sleep - after 90 minutes.  She suggested (and at this point I was eager to try anything whatsoever!) that I set my alarm for an hour - then wake up and set it for another hour.  I have a countdown timer on my phone, so I set that for 60 minutes.  Collapsed on the bed following attack no 2 (a true "suicide" headache if ever I'd had one) and fell straight to sleep.

60 minutes later, my alarm went off.  I awoke, reset it and fell straight back to sleep.

60 minutes later, it went off again (now about 5am) set it once more (I think...) and at 6am I woke, not having had another attack.

I have a shadow (and have had all day - now 1pm) but I can shadow-box all day... Just can't dance with the devil....

I am not sure if it is coincidental or not, but I am going to try again tonight.  After all - disjointed sleep is so much better than screaming to oneself for an hour...

Has anyone else tried this?  Had any success?  I can't believe that I am the first to try - so please let me know how you go, and I will keep you updated to see whether this works!

Cheers!

Randall
IP Logged

Thank you to my beautiful wife Mel - for putting up with me and supporting me!

And remember to thank your supporter too!
UN solved

Email

Re: Can interrupting your sleep work?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 9:35pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

This would be extremely hard to do. You're talking about preventing REM sleep with an alarm clock ? I would think it maybe possible for awhile... but not for long term. Your body's still going to fall into REM sooner or later. Some claim that some drugs prevent REM ( like Melatonin) ... but they never prevented my cluster attacks.

Goodluck with it & let us know how you do

UNsolved
IP Logged
Randall_Swain
New Board Newbie
Australia 

Thank you to all the supporters!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 12:59pm »

Unfortunately UN Solved was right - it didn't work  

When I fell asleep tonight, I set the timer for 1hr 15.  I awoke when it went off, and reset it for another 1.15.  Ten minutes later the attack snuck in - so pretty much on time, although I don't know if it was during REM sleep or if the devil was just being a prick...  It was only about a 7 so that was one small nicety.  We danced for about an hour and fell back to sleep - setting the timer for another 1.15.  This time is didn't wait, and hit after1.10 - with 5 minutes left on the timer.  It hit 8 on the scale and am just recovering now - the nice dull ache one gets after a hit, which seems somehow pleasant...

So no magic bullet here I am afraid...  Will keep searching!

Take care out there...
IP Logged

Thank you to my beautiful wife Mel - for putting up with me and supporting me!

And remember to thank your supporter too!
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #3 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 1:15pm »

Randall,
There definitely is a connection between REM sleep and night-time hits.  Unfortunately, Unsolved is right.  Your body will only function so long without REM sleep.  I'm sorry that melatonin didn't work for you Unsolved-it has helped me but I still wake up every 45 minutes to hour after I fall asleep.  I have symptoms of a hit-congestion, teary red eye and cluster knot on my neck-but no pain.  It is very odd.
PFDAN y'all,
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 7:37pm »

Smiley. thanks for posting randall, was going to try this tactic at the next dance..........................will keep searching. andrew.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 8:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

REM deprivation is a great way to torture someone - they start losing their marbles pretty quick.  And after a period of sleep deprivation, a person slips into REM almost as soon as they fall asleep.  

IMO, If you are episodic, you are better off trying to re-establish regular circadian cycles.  Melatonin helps me to do that - as soon as I feel like I am slipping into a CH cycle, I start hitting the melatonin at the same time everynight.
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 8:26pm »

..........and make sure that you stick to a regular sleep schedule!!!
It didn't seem to make a difference once I went chronic but it certainly helped with the melatonin establishing a good pattern and decreasing nocturnal attacks.
The more you disrupt your sleep the harder you will get slammed once you start crashing.

Good luck
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #7 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 8:35pm »

Been doing the same thing for years, setting the alarm for an hour and a quarter, but the absolute max is twice in one night and just living with consequences after that.  

Any more than that is mind-bending.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 8:39pm »

Smiley. yet again, thanks for being here. andrew.
IP Logged
neetnut
New Board Newbie

neetnut
Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 26th, 2006, 8:59pm »

Interrupting my sleep at least once or twice will surely bring on an attack. Once they start, they usually last a day or two. When I get back on track with sleep they start to taper off. Seems like Holidays are the worst with the traveling and all, sleep gets messed up.
IP Logged
stargirl50
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 7:18pm »

For me, interrupting sleep is a sure way to bring ON an attack.  sticking to a regular sleep schedule once i start my med regimen (among other things) is one of the best ways to end a cycle.
IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30th, 2006, 9:30pm »

actually, I got pretty good at waking up after an hour, getting up and walking around for a few and going back to bed and trying another hour.

and sleeping sitting up!

both are difficult, and I think it helped, but really, how long can you keep that up?  not very long!

In the end, I found a better answer at www.clusterbusters.com.

try the seeds first

my 2 cents
« Last Edit: Nov 30th, 2006, 9:31pm by vig » IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss