Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 9:27am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Do you remember the FIRST imi shot? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Do you remember the FIRST imi shot?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Do you remember the FIRST imi shot?  (Read 799 times)
bothofus
New Board Veteran
USA 

It's got to get better !

Do you remember the FIRST imi shot?
« on: Nov 24th, 2006, 8:31am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I remember talking to my gp in the early 90's when he informed me that imitrex was now available as a prescription.  I asked about it, and he told me that is why he wanted the office visit so he could discuss this option.  The auto injecter was about 6-8 inches long with a safety catch, sort of like on a firearm.

I had laid down for a badly needed nap and after about 45 mins woke with a bad one.  Wife and kidds were gone to town.  I set it up, fired the trigger, held in place a few seconds, and then waited.  After a few seconds, seconds mind ya, I was thinking it was no good.  And then just like a breath of fresh air, POOF, gone!  Felt like somebody hit me in the neck with a 2x4 a few seconds later, but that was nothing.  Could not believe the relief and was so happy I wanted to jump up and run around.  Like having my life back.
So, do ya'll remember?
Carl
IP Logged
chopmyheadoff
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Its only a headache, deal with it - SMACK

Re: Do you remember the FIRST imi shot?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 8:47am »

YES I DO - AND ILL NEVER FORGET

at a mates barbeque.
felt a hit coming - it had already been a week from HELL with a regular 3pm hit on my LEFT side (im a righty) that was really dirty kip 10+ . .  the WORST EVER.

i wasnt diagnosed at this time (only 4 months ago)
so went home to hide and suffer on my own like i always did.
but this one was different, i was SCREAMING and i just though "thats it". im off to the hospital a+e and if they cant stop these "migranes" im gonna kill myself.

got there and the nurse took one look at me and rushed me into a cubicle ahead of everyone else waiting (got some funny looks).

explained my symptoms and before i knew it a doctor whipped out what i now know as an outoinjector and stabbed me in the leg.
straight away he said "has it gone ?" .

i managed to splutter "no" but before if finished saying the word . bang, gone. like it was never there.
my sweating stopped immediately.

this was without doubt the happiest day ever in my life.
i cried all the way home and then all the way back to the barbeque with joy  Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley Smiley
IP Logged
bothofus
New Board Veteran
USA 

It's got to get better !

« Reply #2 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 8:55am »

Hey chop, yeah I was on a first name basis at the er to get them.  The bill was over 100 bucks each time.  That's why I asked him If I could give myself one at home.  Shoot, even if it was 100 bucks for 2 shots I would be saving money.  Was soooooo glad it was available for home use.
Now that I think about it, the injector was blue/gray i think.  Held on to that sucker for a long time.  Have lost it since.  Wouldn't work with the needles nowadays anyway.
Carl
« Last Edit: Nov 24th, 2006, 8:57am by bothofus » IP Logged
Tybo
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 9:04am »

I remember mine very well,as it was only yesterday Grin

Couldn't believe how fast it worked.

It's put our minds more at rest now,as we're going away over christmas.
I had the O2 organised for when i get there,but it was the flight i was worried about.
I had a hit on a plane a few years ago,and it was not an experience i wanted to have again Shocked

Got another ten jabs ordered from the doc this morning Grin
I can't believe,after all these years,i've got hold of something that kills it instantly .

I'm looking forward to the holiday now Cheesy
IP Logged
chopmyheadoff
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Its only a headache, deal with it - SMACK

« Reply #4 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 9:52am »

on Nov 24th, 2006, 9:04am, Tybo wrote:
Got another ten jabs ordered from the doc this morning Grin
I can't believe,after all these years,i've got hold of something that kills it instantly .

me&mb    sayyes
IP Logged
prcole18
New Board Veteran
United_Kingdom 

Thank god for Imigran Injections!

« Reply #5 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 10:54am »

Remember it well, pure bliss, couldn't believe how quick it worked.

I never leave home without one!
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 11:31am »

I can't access my pics from my work computer, but I'll post a piture when I get home today of the first auto injector.  

It's 14 years old at least.  Back when they told me I had "massive migrains" (didn't know that there was no such thing at the time, I just knew the damn stuff worked like magic).  

Doc gave it to me for the first time at his office.  I was estatic to have had it work so well.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
UN solved

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 4:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Yes, I remember the first Imitrex shots. I had that big ole injector kit. It came with a black zipper bag to hold the injector and meds in. I was happy as heck to have something that finally stopped the attacks once they started. Been using the stuff every since.

UNsolved
IP Logged
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 24th, 2006, 7:36pm »

First time was a full statdose......sent my whole body on fire and killed the attack but felt like shit after.

I have never used a full again.

Split the doses if needed
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
bothofus
New Board Veteran
USA 

It's got to get better !

« Reply #9 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 6:26am »

I had forgot about the zipper bag.  

ops

Carl
IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 7:00am »

This is still around here somehwere.  I took it to Nashville as a show and tell.  (Yeah call me a nerd)
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
bothofus
New Board Veteran
USA 

It's got to get better !

« Reply #11 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 7:05am »

That's it !!!!!!!!!!
At least I remembered the colors right.
 Grin
I guess I am going to have to get somebody here to show me how to post pics and urls.  I have built about 5 computers from scratch, but don't kmow how do that stuff.  Also how do yall do the IM?
Carl

IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: Nov 25th, 2006, 8:57am »

15 years with this shit and I have never taken Imitrex. O2 and sometimes Maxalt and they're almost always gone in 10-15 minutes. I've never had to stick myself, and for that I consider myself fortunate.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
dsrg
New Board Newbie
Sweden 

« Reply #13 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 12:15pm »

Well, I guess me 2... Wink

After I took the Imigran (the swedish name for Imitrex) shot in my thigh for the first time, when the rush of the drug washed through my body, I remember thinking "so THIS is how it feels to be a junkie..." Wink

And then: first the sweet bliss of relief. Then, the not-so-blissful nausea kicked in...  

But that passed, and I've been helped by Imigran/Imitrex ever since (on nasal sprays now)...
IP Logged
Judge_Smails
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #14 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 1:32pm »

I was actually at college the first time I ever took Imitrex, because it was the first time I was ever diagnosed correctly.
I had a cycle start up in the middle of the semester and I went to see the Dr at the infirmary and he knew exactly what the cause was.  He experimented with some prevents (eventually settled on Sansert) and told me about the Imitrex injection.  

I remember stumbling into the infirmary with an absolute killer and 1 min after the nurse gave me the shot I was back to normal.  She commented that it always amazed her how well the Imitrex injections worked.  Only problem was the 1 injection per 24 hr limit.

By the time I got my next cycle (2 years later) I was taking the imitrex pills.  Last cycle I tried the nasal spray.  I still haven't tried the self injections, not sure why, they are very effective for me.
IP Logged
B14CK5H33P
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Circa '92

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 2:08pm »

My first attempt with Trex came after going chronic. It didn't work.  
Then tried Migranal nasal - which about blew my head off!!!
Ercaf tabs started working, but I was using so much of it, the circulation was shutting off to my toes and causing bad things to happen so I was ordered off of it.

Went to o2, but only recently learned WHY I wasn't getting the full benefit of the o2. I was always hunched over, hyperventilating into the mask. Then someone told me it was the same effect as kinking a garden hose - the water only trickles out. You have to sit straight up and breathe normal.

August 2003 a local CHead had some Trex and asked me if I wanted to give it another shot - pun intended.
Lo and behold - it worked! Then I started splitting doses... it helped, it then started causing wickedass rebounds and now I do everything in my power to avoid Trex. Frova tabs keep the beast at bay for much much longer.  

However, in the event I HAVE to take Trex - it works most of the time.  

Peace,
Carl D

« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2006, 2:08pm by B14CK5H33P » IP Logged

My show is Sundays from 7pm - 1am eastern on www.wildbunchradio.com

Reality Is For Those Who Lack Imagination - Ken Olsen (R.I.P.)
Won't give up it wants me dead, Goddamn this noise inside my head -NIN
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

« Reply #16 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 4:35pm »

on Nov 25th, 2006, 7:00am, Redd715 wrote:

This is still around here somehwere.  I took it to Nashville as a show and tell.  (Yeah call me a nerd)

I'll NEVER forget the first shot. I went from wanting to take a hammer to my head to wanting to go dancing in a matter of minutes.
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 5:41pm »

Quote:
Also how do yall do the IM?  

Carl, if by IM you refer to instant messages,  under each persons name on their posts you will see a little envelope.  One is for IM'ing them and some have another one for their e-mail.   Just click on the one that says IM and a box will appear that you can type a message to them that will will only be seen by the two of you.   To retrieve a message from someone else..just look up at the right hand corner of all pages and it will say    "Hey Carl, you have  XXX messages"  Click on that to view it.

If you are referring to something else, then I have just wasted some of DJ's band-width.  lol   Grin
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
bothofus
New Board Veteran
USA 

It's got to get better !

« Reply #18 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 7:52pm »

Hey Linda, that's what I was talking about, so no waste of bandwith.  I figured it out later that day.  Still need to know how to post a pic tho.
Thanks,
Carl
IP Logged
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #19 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 8:56pm »

Felt like every blood vessel in my body head to toe was bursting...head still hurt and so did everything else Tongue lucky me
« Last Edit: Nov 28th, 2006, 8:57pm by Tara Ann » IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
JDH
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

We will get by, We will survive!

simnjue2u
Email

« Reply #20 on: Nov 28th, 2006, 11:30pm »

I remember Jonny calling it a "pain drain" and that's as good of a description as I've ever heard. I was sitting there hurting real bad, I stuck that auto injector in my thigh and I could just feel the pain draining out of my body within a manner of minutes....nice!
But as good as it works I really believe it makes things worse by causing rebound h/a's and extending the cycle.

Jim
IP Logged

9-11-01, to remember is to honor.

It's not what you know, it's what you can prove.

ECH established 1985
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss