Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 5th, 2024, 5:54am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Busters/detoxing. »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Busters/detoxing.
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Busters/detoxing.  (Read 739 times)
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

Busters/detoxing.
« on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:25am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hmmm I wonder how much of the success of busters can be attributed to the detoxing step before the treatment itself is administered?  Not taking anything away from the buster treatment, just a thought that came to mind.  Will there be a control group that does the detoxing but not the treatment itself in the Harvard study?
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: Busters/detoxing.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:55am »

Good question, Thomas.  I'm sure someone with more info on the study will chime in regarding the detox period.  Here is a link with some interesting speculation about detoxing by pinksharkmark.  You'll see the detoxing mentioned about half-way down.
http://www.clusterbusters.com/thoughts.htm

patti
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:57am »

I have thought this as well.

I was prepared to "bust" finally having my wife's support and found that once I detoxed, life became easier for me!
I decided not to do anything. period. Med nor Alternative.

From a scientific perspective I would like to see specific groups b/c there are some who create cocktails just like we have done with meds.
e.g. shrooms with seeds. seeds with some mushies sprinkled in.
sputz vs tea
this and that.

It can get watered down and soon we wind up with the same debates that we have with conventional meds.

I fully support everything that is occuring however would like to see some people follow the guidlines specifically and then report outcomes religiously.

PF wishes
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:58am by E-Double » IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 11:07am »

I don't think for me that with detoxing alone I'd be able to function, although it could possibly make the condition needed to be treated change slightly for the better.  Too many memories of inadequate meds in the past for me.  If I could detox though, I'd immediately go to an alternative, with that I'd give myself of a good hope of staying detoxed.    

IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 11:23am »

Hear, Hear, Thomas!  

I think there is HUGE merit to this theory.  Good on ya, bud!   Kiss
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Flash

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 12:16pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I experienced a remission of 39 months thanks to a single dose of mushrooms.  I was then clear of everything until the next full episode hit this year.  Throughout the episode I stayed clean of EVERYTHING including mushrooms.  I was as detoxed as a person can possibly be.  Yes the episode was milder than usual, but it was still undeniably a proper episode, and I still had 2 trips to the ER.

In the almost 14 years since I started using mushrooms, the effect of the shrooms has been to totally prevent/suppress the episodes.  They are vastly more effective than just plain detoxing.

See my thread from a few months ago on this very board about my detoxed episode for more details.

And yes... I am hard as fuck Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006, 12:17pm by Flash » IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #6 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 12:28pm »

on Nov 9th, 2006, 12:16pm, Flash wrote:
In the almost 14 years since I started using mushrooms, the effect of the shrooms has been to totally prevent/suppress the episodes.  They are vastly more effective than just plain detoxing.

I've come to agree that would be an aim of detoxing for me.  

Quote:
If I could detox though, I'd immediately go to an alternative, with that I'd give myself of a good hope of staying detoxed.

IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 1:37pm »

Personally and for myself only, my detox period off topomax and verapamil and using no trex was hell in preperation for busting.  Verap was only marginally effective, and an increase was prohibitive due to my floor bottom BP.  I couldn't go up.  Trex was being saved the worst of the worst hits, as there was some success in decreasing the intensity of the hits with the verap.

I first taperd off topomax, due to the dummyness about a month before.  Then the verap over 2-3 weeks (can't remember), continueing the use of trex to abort the worst ones.  Then once I was totally off the verap I stopped using trex for 5 days before busting.  Frequency dropped slightly over those 5 days, but the pain levels were much higher than while on the verap.

I can't say if going totally without even the alternative, if things would have settled down or not, but I know that for myself, I wasn't brave enough to go 100% treatment free to find out.  I couldn't afford to risk getting fired by going off all meds and being home bound again.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 2:16pm »

on Nov 9th, 2006, 10:25am, thomas wrote:
Hmmm I wonder how much of the success of busters can be attributed to the detoxing step before the treatment itself is administered?

We have discussed this quite a lot actually and I do believe that for many people, it IS a factor. Not all, but many people experience not anywhere near the pain they expect beginning the detox. Many have similar experiences to E-D. I'll return to this thread later to expand on the topic...because I think it's an important one....gotta go earn a living.

on Nov 9th, 2006, 10:25am, thomas wrote:
Will there be a control group that does the detoxing but not the treatment itself in the Harvard study?

Heading to McLean on the 18th to discuss this topic and finish up (hopefully) the protocol.  
As to this specific question, the problem here would be...(will be?) A placebo arm wouldn't be the same thing as this suggestion, as there would be no placebo effect. I don't think we'd have anyone showing up after detoxing and have them just sit there. And giving them a placebo would change the equation.

I can say, out of ALL the hundreds of people that have gone through the detox....there may have been a few that had their cycle end completely before using any of the alternatives, but I don't remember any. Tommy may remember one since he records each case.  

Again...I'll be back on this,
Bobw

IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
MJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #9 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 1:05am »

I detoxed for 10 years (med free)

Like EE it was a whole lot easier mentally to deal with constant clusters.  

There was some improvement in the attacks. Medicated they were often back to back attacks 24/7.

Though unmedicated, I still get hit as many times a day during cycles, I generally get short breaks in between and the hits are much cleaner and the mind more focused to deal with the pain.

Most improved and important for me was the ability to recover quickly from the hits. I couldnt do that while taking all the meds.

Did this add to my success with RC seeds? Dont know for sure.
IP Logged

MJ
Pinkfloyd
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

comfortably numb

psiloscribe   pinkshroomrat
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 1:47am »

Just a few more thoughts on the subject.

I do believe that a detox helps. Not only for those using the alternative routes, but I think it would probably also help others that have been on a combination of medications, and switching from one to another every couple of months, overlapping them as we tend to do...slowly withdraw from one as we titrate the new one.
I just don't think this constant medicated state allows the body itself to do as much as it can to fight against the cluster machine. It never has a chance to recover and assess what IT can do, or what it SHOULD be doing to combat the clusters.

I don't think this is the case with most episodics that have "normal" defined cycles and know what works for them, go onto a therapy, and work their way through another typical cycle.
For chronics though, and for people that find themselves in prolonged cycles, bouncing from med to med, I think a detox period would be beneficial for many.

Its quite common for the typical person that turns to these alternatives, to be well into uncontrolled cycles, that are lasting longer than usual past cycles.  
Many people that are still getting decent relief from conventional meds, cycles that are still lasting about as long as in the past, etc, don't go this route. And its understandable. Why detox after a few weeks, go through that period, and try something else? Many times, by the time they decide to give it a go, the cycle may be nearing the end anyway and don't bother.

There is evidence that some meds can and do extend cycles. It seems that Prof. Goadsby feels that many meds can have this effect, including even 02. I'm not sure I buy that one but there is info out there on verapamil and the triptans. I suppose that "anything" used constantly to alter the bodies natural response to the clusters may also have an effect on the cycles. Just a thought though.

So, to make a long story short....do i think the detox plays a role in the success of the alt's? yes, in some cases, and in a couple of different ways.

BTW, I also believe a detox period may help other "conventional" meds be more effective.  

Bobw
IP Logged

"Nothing is so firmly believed as what we least know."
"There is no passion so contagious as that of fear."
[Michel de Montaigne
www.clusterbusters.com
www.obscuredview.blogspot.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss