Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 6th, 2024, 3:12am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Topamax (topiramate)--side effect »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Topamax (topiramate)--side effect
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Topamax (topiramate)--side effect  (Read 418 times)
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Topamax (topiramate)--side effect
« on: Nov 6th, 2006, 8:24am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

This newly discovered side effect should not lead anyone to stop using this med immediately. This is not a life threatening condition--but I'd suggest you print this message and talk to your physician about how to proceed. Since this study was done on a small group and these are new data, needing additonal confirmation--don't panic.
-----------------------------------
Drug Prescribed for Migraines and Seizures Increases Risk of Kidney Stones
"DALLAS, TX -- October 31, 2006 -- Topiramate (Topamax), a drug commonly prescribed to treat seizures and migraine headaches, can increase the propensity of calcium phosphate kidney stones, researchers at UT Southwestern Medical Center have found.

"A study – the largest cross-sectional examination of how the long-term use of topiramate affects kidney-stone formation – appears in the October issue of the American Journal of Kidney Diseases.

"Several case reports have described an association between topiramate and the development of kidney stones, but this complication had not been well recognized and physicians have not informed patients about the risk, the UT Southwestern researchers said. More important, the mechanism of stone formation was largely unknown previously.

"The wide-spread and escalating use of topiramate emphasizes the importance of considering the long-term impact of this drug on kidney-stone formation," said Dr. Khashayar Sakhaee, senior author of the study and chief of mineral metabolism at UT Southwestern.

More than 29 million Americans suffer from migraines, with women being affected three times more often than men, according to the National Headache Foundation.

"Topiramate is probably one of the most commonly prescribed and most effective neurological medications right now," said Dr. Dion Graybeal, assistant professor of neurology and an author of the study.

"Dr. Graybeal and other researchers at UT Southwestern say the next step is to develop a way to block the development of kidney stones for users.

"The study comprised two phases. Thirty-two individuals already being treated with topiramate and 50 normal volunteers were enrolled in a cross-sectional study in which their blood and urine were tested for kidney-stone risk. A short-term study also was conducted in seven individuals to assess stone risk before and three months after taking topiramate. All patients were evaluated at UT Southwestern's General Clinical Research Center.

"Researchers found that taking topiramate on a long-term basis, or for about one year, caused systemic metabolic acidosis -- a buildup of excessive acid in the blood -- as a result of the inability of the kidney to excrete acid. Topiramate use also increased the urine pH and lowered urine citrate, an important inhibitor of kidney-stone formation."
[edited for length.]
IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Bond007
New Board Old Timer
USA 

Email

Re: Topamax (topiramate)--side effect
« Reply #1 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 8:42am »

Tell me about it.  I've been on Topamax for almost 9 months and I've just passed 2 kidney stones in the last 3 weeks.  Granted, I'm already predisposed to kidney stones, but this is ridiculous!  I spent 6 hours this past Saturday in severe pain with 3 hours of that time in the ER.

Then, again, I'd still rather have the stones than the CH.  HOWEVER!  I'm still getting off the topamax!
IP Logged

Sometimes life bites you in the ass -- that's what drugs are for!!
_UNsolved

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 9:46am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

'Newly discovered' side effect ???   Huh  I've been screaming KIDNEY STONES for years now !!

UNsolved
IP Logged
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #3 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:00am »

on Nov 6th, 2006, 8:24am, Bob_Johnson wrote:
Drug Prescribed for Migraines and Seizures Increases Risk of Kidney Stones
"DALLAS, TX -- October 31, 2006 --  

-----/ /--------

appears in the October issue of the American Journal of Kidney Diseases

-------/ /---------

"Several case reports have described an association between topiramate and the development of kidney stones, but this complication had not been well recognized and physicians have not informed patients about the risk, the UT Southwestern researchers said. More important, the mechanism of stone formation was largely unknown previously.

This point above has good impact, however, published in that journal, I hope the info will be picked up and published in a headache journal and cross the eyesight of headache clinics and neuros for our sake too.

Thank you Bob.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:00am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
thomas
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Hit like a phillips head into my brain."

« Reply #4 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:04am »

on Nov 9th, 2006, 9:46am, _UNsolved wrote:
'Newly discovered' side effect ???   Huh  I've been screaming KIDNEY STONES for years now !!

UNsolved

Yep.  So has my wife.
IP Logged

Religion and sex are powerplays. Manipulate the people for the money they pay. Selling skin, selling God, the numbers look the same on their credit cards. Triptans cause rebounds. Learn it, believe it, live it. I use triptans as the absolute LAST RESORT when treating my CH.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss