Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jul 1st, 2024, 1:10am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « o2 can be bad ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   o2 can be bad ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: o2 can be bad ?  (Read 1313 times)
G
New Board Newbie
USA 

what do you hear? what do you say?

Email

o2 can be bad ?
« on: Nov 5th, 2006, 11:28pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I recently heard that prolonged use of 100% oxygen will scar your lungs,like falling asleep with it on.Anyone ever heard of that??
IP Logged
nani
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Got kudzu?

Re: o2 can be bad ?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 11:36pm »

Yes. It's true. We use 100% O2 with a non-rebreather mask. We should not use it for more than 15 - 20 minutes. Odds are, if it hasn't aborted a hit by then, it won't. Cut the elastic strap on your mask and hold it in place. This way there's no danger of falling asleep with it on by mistake.
pain free wishes, nani
IP Logged

Others may come and go, but MY power is MINE.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 11:39pm »

Hi Gary & welcome.
For me o2 can only be good, it works a treat and can kill a biggie real quick.
Here's a link to o2 tips that was reposted a couple of weeks ago, there's a huge ammount of info there.

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1142748998

Cheers
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
G
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 12:09am »

Hi & thank you  Grin I may have missed it ,but I also heard there are machines I can get to refill my tank at home? I used to lug my two bottles up to the fire station ,I'm going to give oxygen another go,this time i'm getting a big tank that will last !!  Wink
IP Logged
chopmyheadoff
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

Its only a headache, deal with it - SMACK

« Reply #4 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 3:06am »

by the way , do you realise that if you fall asleep with your mask on and your tank runs out you may suffocate ??
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 5:07am »

We are told to cut the straps off our masks here as it goes for precisely that reason. You might think it doesn't fit well enough but when you breathe in you suck it against your face so it IS possible. Be careful chums!

G, oxygen scarring is possible according to my neuro but only really for people who are using it at a higher flow than 2-4 lpm if they are using it for about 18 hours a day.. for all we use it at a time we're not really at risk  

I hope that helps,
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

G
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 5:09am »

I wish I had known that ten years ago,many many times I fell asleep with a mask strapped to my head.....I used to tie a rubber band around the bag(to block it or keep it filled for a quick rush)
IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #7 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 5:25am »

It can also have side-effects if you smoke while using it.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #8 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 7:24am »

Notice that the Clustermasx has no strap. If you can't hold it against your face with your own hand, it ain't gonna work.

Besides, those little green elastic straps don't work for shit.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #9 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 12:47pm »

Brian you crack me up!!!!
There is also the potential, if you break off that square thingy, that your E tank will become a rocket-taking out an entire apartment building.  That's what the VA told me and they would never, ever, ever exagerate.
PFDAN y'all
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 6th, 2006, 1:06pm »

I did read something a couple of weeks ago that folks with liver/kidney disease are not good candidates for oxygen therapy.  I wish I had bookmarked that site.  There was a potential for risk, even with low flow rates and those stupid nose cannule thingies.  I'll see if I can find it again.
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
vietvet2tours
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Team MOOSE DROOL Stinky Stuff on a Hook Prostaff

« Reply #11 on: Nov 8th, 2006, 11:11am »

on Nov 6th, 2006, 7:24am, brewcrew wrote:
Notice that the Clustermasx has no strap. If you can't hold it against your face with your own hand, it ain't gonna work.

Besides, those little green elastic straps don't work for shit.
Yep
IP Logged

Kill em all let God sort em out
floridian

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You might reduce potential side effects of Oxygen by taking anti-oxidants.  

Vitamin C and Vitamin E are the two that come to mind immediately.  C is water soluble and protects one set of tissues, E is fat soluble and goes elsewhere in the body. C is cheap, E costs a bit more.  A glass of tomato juice each day will add a good amount of lycopene and carotenes.  Any fruit or vegetable with lots of natural color probably has a good amount of anti-oxidants.  

Other 'exotic' anti-oxidants include OPCs (grape seed extract, pycnogenol, pine bark extract), alpha lipoic acid, n-acetyl-cysteine, green tea, turmeric/curcumin, others too numerous to mention.
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:18am by floridian » IP Logged
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #13 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 10:27am »

The safety issue of O2 came up elsewhere some time ago, and mirrors what that daft bat others have said:
Quote:
On the topic of oxygen "scarring the lungs":

Believe it or not, oxygen is a toxic, corrosive gas that causes incredibledamage to everything it touches. There's a reason why "antioxidants" are promoted so heavily in the neutraceutical industry. Three billion years ago the build up of oxygen in the atmosphere was the first huge environmental catastrophe the planet ever saw, and life nearly died out until aerobes evolved capable of handling it.

Even today, breathing pure O2 for too long will cause irreversible lung damage.  This tends to start at about the 16-18 hour point. It's more of an issue in the ICU where we frequently put people on 100% O2 for pulmonary problems then have to remember not to leave it on overnight. For the average cluster headache sufferer, this is not going to be a problem. Just don't fall asleep with the mask on!

Source: McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School

-Lee
IP Logged
Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 3:32pm »

Thank you Lee.

with love,
That Daft Bat
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #15 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 7:26pm »

on Nov 9th, 2006, 10:27am, LeeS wrote:

On the topic of oxygen "scarring the lungs":  

Believe it or not, oxygen is a toxic, corrosive gas that causes incredibledamage to everything it touches. There's a reason why "antioxidants" are promoted so heavily in the neutraceutical industry. Three billion years ago the build up of oxygen in the atmosphere was the first huge environmental catastrophe the planet ever saw, and life nearly died out until aerobes evolved capable of handling it.  

Even today, breathing pure O2 for too long will cause irreversible lung damage.  This tends to start at about the 16-18 hour point. It's more of an issue in the ICU where we frequently put people on 100% O2 for pulmonary problems then have to remember not to leave it on overnight. For the average cluster headache sufferer, this is not going to be a problem. Just don't fall asleep with the mask on!  

Source: McLean Hospital/Harvard Medical School

Thank you too Lee, this shall be my definitive view on oxygen.

However, extracting this statement:

Quote:
Three billion years ago the build up of oxygen in the atmosphere was the first huge environmental catastrophe the planet ever saw, and life nearly died out until aerobes evolved capable of handling it.

It would seem the rain of heavy astroid bombardment that came to an end 3.8 -3.9 billion years ago, preventing life, might be the first environmental catastophe the planet saw.  
  I'd agree net accumulation of oxygen could not take place until various reducing compounds were used up, of which iron in the crust and oceans would greatly affect this rate of absorbsion and all of it on the surface in contact with the newly formed oxygen must be oxydized before free oxygen can accumulate.    
  The process of using sunlight was the second stage in life's history, the evolution of chlorophyll the third when they moved to the surface but they evolved after first forming deep in the oceans.  The time it took for the Earth to acquire an oxygen atmosphere is responsible for the long delay between the origin of life and the origin of animal life but not likely life's near demise.  The oxygen-haters simply retreated to deeper waters to seek refuge, where they came from, in evolution.  Oxygen-loving bacteria took over the surface waters.
  Oxygen, as well as providing the ozone layer, was a more efficient way to yield energy to resist entropy, relating to the second law of thermodynamics, (every chemical reaction results in a loss of energy) bringing the ability for more complex life.  

I'm probably wrong and simply reading a different viewpoint of an oxygen atmosphere, but I agree with the corrosive part.  It was the more than billion years for the oxygen atmosphere to build up that would have allowed a smoother transition for evolution it seems than having a catastrophic effect on life.  

Sorry, this just bugged me a bit.   Smiley
« Last Edit: Nov 9th, 2006, 11:36pm by Kevin_M » IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #16 on: Nov 9th, 2006, 11:30pm »

If there was no oxygen in the world I wouldn't have that touch of rust in the bottom of the rear left-side door of my 4WD.  

Should I have to put up with this blindingly obvious side-effect just so a couple of CHeads can sleep at night?

Really, some people can be so self-centred!
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #17 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 12:03am »

on Nov 9th, 2006, 11:30pm, AussieBrian wrote:
If there was no oxygen in the world I wouldn't have that touch of rust in the bottom of the rear left-side door of my 4WD.  

Should I have to put up with this blindingly obvious side-effect just so a couple of CHeads can sleep at night?

Really, some people can be so self-centred!

If it's a Toyota all loving care should be applied, if it's a Nissan take it round the back of the barn & shoot it. Grin

Cheers Mate
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

[img]
floridian

Email

« Reply #18 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 1:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I forgot about that exotic anti-oxidant called melatonin - it also protects against some of the side effects of high oxygen regimes.  

Quote:
Clin Exp Pharmacol Physiol. 2005 Nov;32(11):926-30.

Protective effects of exogenously administered or endogenously produced melatonin on hyperbaric oxygen-induced oxidative stress in the rat brain.

* Dundar K,
   * Topal T,
   * Ay H,
   * Oter S,
   * Korkmaz A.

Department of Undersea and Hyperbaric Medicine, Gulhane Military Medical Academy, Ankara, Turkey.

1. Hyperbaric oxygen (HBO) is a widely used treatment modality in many diseases. A known side-effect of HBO is the production of reactive oxygen species (ROS). Many anti-oxidants, such as vitamins C and E, riboflavin and selenium, have been used successfully to scavenge the ROS produced by HBO administration. 2. The aim of the present study was to determine whether melatonin, a newly discovered anti-oxidant, has a protective effect against the overproduction of ROS produced by HBO in rat brain tissue. 3. Seventy male Sprague-Dawley rats were divided into seven groups as follows: 1, daytime control; 2, daytime HBO; 3, melatonin; 4, daytime HBO plus melatonin; 5, night-time control; 6, night-time HBO; and 7, night-time HBO under light exposure. 4. Hyperbaric oxygen was administered at 303 kPa for 120 min. Melatonin was injected at a dose of 10 mg/kg, i.p. Brain malondialdehyde (MDA), superoxide dismutase (SOD) and glutathione peroxidase (GPx) levels were measured to elucidate oxidant status. 4. The MDA and SOD levels of groups 2 and 7 increased significantly. Exogenous (group 4) and endogenous (group 6) melatonin protected against HBO-induced lipid peroxidation. Exogenously administered melatonin (groups 3 and 4) had increased levels of the anti-oxidant enzymes SOD and GPx. 5. In conclusion, HBO caused oxidative stress and melatonin exhibited protective effects. Both endogenously produced and exogenously administered melatonin were found to be effective.

Not only does melatonin help me avoid going into cycle, it also protects my rat brain!
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2006, 1:11pm by floridian » IP Logged
artemis
New Board Newbie
USA 

courage is not the absence of fear

« Reply #19 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 1:18pm »

Okay, so I'm not going to use this oxygen as much-it doesn't help that much anyway-sounds like some people get REALLY good results-I'm not one of them...now melatonin...gonna pick some up cause it sounds like that could help alot of stuff.
thanks
pfdan
artemis
IP Logged

Real courage is facing our fears
EDHASFORDS
New Board Newbie
USA 

God loves you and so do I......

CALLIE+BRO.   CALLIE+BRO.

« Reply #20 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 1:51pm »

Haven't been on the board for a while but I couldn't let this slip by!
I have been on 02 for 15 plus years sometimes 2 e-tanks per day! Yes, I have gone to sleep a few times with it still tied to my face! To this day no damage to my lungs! 02 has been my salvation many times!
I would not recommend that to everyone. But it has worked for me!
Also, good news for me on Botox! I had my injections 3 days ago and so far, not one cluster! I was suffering several per day before that! Again, it may not work for everyone but it did for me!

Edhasfords cool2 cool2
IP Logged

CALLIE BRO.
artemis
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #21 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 1:59pm »

Botox injections?! Like they do to erase wrinkles?  It worked?!  Cool.  Wonder how that works?  Anyway, I have alot of reading to do,
this place is great
artemis
IP Logged

Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 8:03pm »

on Nov 10th, 2006, 1:51pm, EDHASFORDS wrote:

Also, good news for me on Botox! I had my injections 3 days ago and so far, not one cluster! I was suffering several per day before that! Again, it may not work for everyone but it did for me!

Edhasfords cool2 cool2

Interested with the Botox, I saw an article on a TV show here in Oz only a couple of nights ago where they are treating severe migrane sufferers with Botox and the patients testify to it's effectivness but it's bloody expensive at around A$ 1500.00 every three months.
But if it works the cost would become insignificant.

Cheers
Barry
« Last Edit: Nov 10th, 2006, 8:05pm by Barry_T_Coles » IP Logged

[img]
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

WWW Email

« Reply #23 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 8:15pm »

on Nov 10th, 2006, 1:59pm, artemis wrote:
Botox injections?! Like they do to erase wrinkles?  It worked?!  Cool.  Wonder how that works?  Anyway, I have alot of reading to do,
this place is great
artemis

Yep same stuff, they couldnt or wouldnt say how it worked but from the testiments of the patients they are happy with the results.

But as in my reply to Edhasfords post the $ cost is high so for me I'll just keep looking into the fire imagining its the demon & when I wan't out chuck a bucket of water on it.  WinkFizzzle Grin
IP Logged

[img]
artemis
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #24 on: Nov 10th, 2006, 8:24pm »

Cool Barry.  I've tried imagery myself...sometimes I imagine the headaches are incoming messages from another dimension.  I may have overdone it in the 70's. Roll Eyes
artemis
IP Logged

Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss