Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 6th, 2024, 9:18pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « antibiotics a trigger?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   antibiotics a trigger??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: antibiotics a trigger??  (Read 462 times)
cuzzykins
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

antibiotics a trigger??
« on: Nov 4th, 2006, 10:33am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Just wondering if its possible that the antibiotics im taking for bronchitis are making the ch attacks worse?

Today is final day of 5 day dosage and the last 3 nites I have had 2 or more attacks through the nite.. also was given advair at the same time to help with the breathing..  

Been on pred taper for nearly 3 weeks, taper up and down several times now down to 5mg.. 2 days left.. time to try something else?  

Verapamil increased from 240 to 320 3 days ago ..  

Just wondering what to try next.. O2 working to abort but hoping for some pf days/nites soon..  

Ergotomine? Methysergide? Lithium? read about them all anyone on these with good results?

Deb
IP Logged
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: antibiotics a trigger??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 10:56am »

Deb - Can't really answer your question, but I can tell you this: I've been diagnosed CH for 16 years, and have been diagnosed hidradenitis suppurativa for 30 years. Have taken at least 20 different kinds of antibiotics for the latter, and have never noticed any connection or trigger relationship between the two.

Now, as to methysergide, nobody on this board will sing its praises louder than me. It is my magic bullet.

PFDAN,

Bill
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 6:57pm »

My husband had to take a course of antibiotics ( penicillin ) for a skin infection during the cycle and it didnt seem to affect his CH in any way noticable.

He tried lithium, methysergide and ergotamine without success, I am sorry to say.

So far the only things working for him is Verapamil, oxygen and trex, plus melatonin for the night attacks.

Have you tried melatonin ?

Good luck and painfree wishes to you.

Annette
IP Logged
cuzzykins
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 8:59pm »

Thanks for the replies Bill and Annette,  

Bill.. appreciate the info.. wanted some ideas for the next doc visit or consult.. glad the methysergide worked so well for you.. will see what the doc says i reckon..  

Yes Annette i have been on the melatonin as well which i forgot to mention in the first post.. 9mg 1/2 before bed and have been doing that for about 2 weeks now.. thought i would mix it up a little last nite and went down to 6mg.. prob will try 12mg tonite..  

Have the Imitrex n/s and have used 3 times.. it has made the pain so much worse the last 2 times i just cant bring myself to try it again.. maybe the shots would work better but doc was hesitant to give that.. he was going to give me the pills but i remembered reading that they arent that effective as they take so long to work.. so asked for the n/s..  

I really didnt think the antibiotics were an issue but thought i would see what others had experienced.. i think the multi nite hits started at the same time i went on the biotics but also its when i went down to 5mg pred.. It also coincided with the use of the clustermasx i received this week.. its extremely effective aborting within 10-15 mins .. or it could all be unrelated and just where i am in the cycle... looking for answers were there prob arent any.. just so frustrating as everyone knows... sleeeeeeeeeeeep need sleeeeeeeeeeeep lol

Thanks again for the replies..  
Deb
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 4:59am »

I'm sorry I'm late getting to this one cuzzykins, I've had 5 courses of antibiotics this year and each time my hits have increased. I personally don't think its a coincidence for me, also if I get a cold or anything my hits seem to increase. It could be "my imagination" but I think both of those do cause a temporary increase for me and I've spoken to others who feel the same.
Monitor yourself is all I can suggest, don't take antibiotics unless you need them (good advice anyway!) and eat lots of tomatoes to avoid the snots!  Grin
Take care
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Bill_G.
New Board Junior
USA 

I'm ready to fight the monster

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 6:38am »

Hey Cuzzy,
     I haven't noticed any correlation between the two but you got the best thing going, at least I think, with the clustermask.
     Something just hit me, maybe the monster is so smart he throws us smoke screens so that we cannot come up with a cure for the condition.

PFDAN
Bill
IP Logged
cuzzykins
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 5:37pm »

Yeah Bill i think the monster is friggin brilliant.. just when you think you got him under control he laughs his ugly lil head off and says here i am..  

But hey some good news for a change.. i was pf yesterday.. day and nite.. had a lil shadowing before i went to bed so turned the o2 on 8 .. sat for about 5 mins with it and it took it away.. tried 12mgs melatonin last nite as well.. aside from waking up at 1:30 just to look at the clock lol.. no pain just woke up.. i slept until 9am.. wow .. and wow again it felt sooooooo great.. no hits today and fingers crossed for the nitetime as well.. if not i will deal with it .. just felt great and wanted to share..  

Deb
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 5th, 2006, 5:38pm »

Deb thats wonderful! Keep up the good work hon, we love news like that  Smiley
Helen x
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss