Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 7th, 2024, 3:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « GSK Imitrex assistance program? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   GSK Imitrex assistance program?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: GSK Imitrex assistance program?  (Read 446 times)
peterevil
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

GSK Imitrex assistance program?
« on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 11:41am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello all,

I'm a long time reader but first time poster. It's nice to meet you all.

I'm in cycle and have crappy student insurance. I wondered if any of you have information on GSK imitrex assistance programs. I searched the message boards but didn't find an address or phone #.

As a student I have no income, but have been buying the subcu imitrex ($300 / 4 injections of 6mg) because my insurance only reimburses for 4 injections per 30 day period. I basically chewed through my stock pile (about 25 doses for the month) and am now at wit's end. I'm trying to see a neuro but don't know when they'll actually take my appointment. Once i see them i can probably get samples, but until that point it's going to get ugly.

Any help would be appreciated.
IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

Re: GSK Imitrex assistance program?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 12:14pm »

Hi Peter,
I looked through past issues of the OUCH US Newsletter for you and found some stuff that may help you.
www.needymeds.com a resource for people who need help with the cost of meds.

There is also an article here by Matt Matlock in the June Issue entitled Free or greatly reduced Health Care which you should go and read. http://www.ouch-us.org/newsletters/05-2006/05-2006.pdf

Also look at the buttons on your left, the seventh one down is "Imitrex tip" and you might find that very useful too.  

Have you read up abour red bull or Oxygen  or any of the other abortives and tricks we use?

We will do our best to help you!
Helen
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

peterevil
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 1:18pm »

Thanks for the links, Helen.

I've tried the Imitrex tip and, weirdly, it doesn't seem to work for me. I'm not sure if i'm placing the needle too deeply or too shallowly (i use my tricep or deltoid), but the subcu isn't effective unless i use the statdose pen (even with just 3 mg). i must be doing something wrong.

I'm definitely interested in Oxygen but am not sure how i can get it. Where do you buy yours? It's not covered by my insurance and i'm not sure where i can get it (scuba stores?).

Thanks for helping. It's nice to be part of a community that knows what we're dealing with. I just had a Kafka-esque discussion with a nurse practitioner at my student health center and she said my imitrex usage (1 or 2 injections per day in cycle) struck her as not 'usual.' I wanted to slap her.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 2:09pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

GSK Bridges to Access Program

http://www.bridgestoaccess.com/
« Last Edit: Nov 3rd, 2006, 2:13pm by chewy » IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 3rd, 2006, 4:59pm »

One to two inj. perday is the recommended dosage as per GSK on the info sheet that comes with every stat-dose box.   Tell her to do her homework.   Wink

Quote:

I'm definitely interested in Oxygen but am not sure how i can get it. Where do you buy yours? It's not covered by my insurance and i'm not sure where i can get it (scuba stores?).  

You need a prescription for oxygen from your Dr. You can then take it to a medical supply dealer like "Lincare" or "Apria"   Make sure if you go this route that you get a non-rebreather mask, not the nasel cannula.  When you go in they will undoubably set you up with an E-tank, a regulator that goes to 15 lpm a mask and a cart so you can roll it from one room to another.

Look more deeply into what your Ins. will pay regarding the 02, you may find out different than you think, but sometimes a 02 supplier will work a deal with you for cash if in fact Ins. Co. won't pay.

If all else fails there is welders 02, but that's another story..check into what you've been told here and lets us know. We will tell you what you need to know about that later.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 8:37am »

If you have to end up buying abortives out of pocket, talk to your doc about Zyprexa. The advantage of a pill vs. O2 tanks, etc. when in class and it's very effective for some of us.

And, I almost forgot, on a per dose basis it's quite affordable.
----------------------------

Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
« Last Edit: Nov 5th, 2006, 9:24am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
mcf69
New Board Old Timer
USA 

I am acutely aware of where my trigeminal nerve is

mcf692001   mcf692001
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 11:42am »

I'll bump up the thread I posted on it not too long ago
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss