Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 7th, 2024, 11:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « clove cigarettes and red bull »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   clove cigarettes and red bull
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: clove cigarettes and red bull  (Read 2320 times)
lgodm
New Board Newbie

clove cigarettes and red bull
« on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:22pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi,

I am currently in cycle (for a year it has been exactly every two months, 7-10 days, always at 7 PM, next at about 11 PM and towards the end 2 PM).  

This cycle I have now successfully prevented two days worth of attacks by immediately drinking half a red bull and smoking a djarum clove cigarette.  

I think I've read elsewhere that cigarettes are bad for CH sufferers. I don't know if it's because of the type of cigarette I am smoking...
Any thoughts? If anyone else decides to try this odd combination please let me know!
IP Logged
andrewjb
New Board Hall of Famer
England 

when the love of power becomes the power of love !

Email

Re: clove cigarettes and red bull
« Reply #1 on: Oct 23rd, 2006, 11:26pm »

Smiley. hello igodm, ied try almost anythin but not red bull. too many chemicles. andrew.
IP Logged
floridian

Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 12:02pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Clove is a good local anaesthetic - dentists once used it to numb the teeth and gums.  Not sure if that is having an effect here - could be.  

Eugenol in cloves is an calcium channel blocker, and also works on the potassium channels.  Definitely avoid drinking pure clove oil - it is toxic in those doses.  

IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 12:10pm »

Quote:
I think I've read elsewhere that cigarettes are bad for CH sufferers.

Cigarettes are bad for ANYONE,   if you talking about being a trigger for CH?  Then no, it isn't,   or at least that is the general consensus.  

One of these days I AM going to stop smoking.. Undecided
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #4 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 12:23pm »

if that's getting you through, good on you!

smoking is no worse for CH'ers than anyone else. and no better either!

IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #5 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 12:57pm »

on Oct 24th, 2006, 12:02pm, floridian wrote:
Clove is a good local anaesthetic - dentists once used it to numb the teeth and gums.  Not sure if that is having an effect here - could be.  

Eugenol in cloves is an calcium channel blocker, and also works on the potassium channels.  Definitely avoid drinking pure clove oil - it is toxic in those doses.  

I was a single full time Mom, full time college student in the middle of a bitter divorce when a fellow student introduced me to Sampwerna (sp) clove cigsduring my first round of "finals" exams when I was wound up tighter than a two dollar watch.  I was told they has a calming effect.  

I found that indeed they did have a calming effect, and i'm curious if the properties of cloves, when smoked, acts sort of like a central nervous system calming agent, much as the oil acts to numb nerves when applied directly?

I hadn't smoked them in years but I had been having a few real stressful weeks at work and there is a smoke shop just down the way from the office, so I picked up a pack and indeed, when I was feeling very stressed out it did once again have the same calming effect.

I'd wager a guess that for those of us who already smoke, it may help to curb in the anxiety over the CH.  Do I think it would be a preventive or abortive?  Can't say for anyone else, but I saw no connection with actual hits or shadows at all.  Only a noticable improvement in overall anxiety levels.
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
floridian

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 2:51pm »

Some Chai teas have cloves in them, and you can always add extra - I would suggest building up to 1/8 tsp. or 1/4 of cloves per cup,  maybe 3 cups a day maximum.

http://earthnotes.tripod.com/clove.htm
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2006, 2:55pm by floridian » IP Logged
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #7 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 4:19pm »

on Oct 24th, 2006, 2:51pm, floridian wrote:
Some Chai teas have cloves in them, and you can always add extra - I would suggest building up to 1/8 tsp. or 1/4 of cloves per cup,  maybe 3 cups a day maximum.

http://earthnotes.tripod.com/clove.htm

Flo,

Would you think my theory of the smoked clove oils having a sort of mild central nervous system sedative effect holds any merit, or is it simply more likely the power of suggestion?
IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
floridian

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 24th, 2006, 5:10pm »

Could be - I did some preliminary digging and found a few references to eugenol/cloves and anxiety - it wasn't strong evidence, but it hasn't been scrutinized.
« Last Edit: Oct 24th, 2006, 5:23pm by floridian » IP Logged
Beastfodder
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally

« Reply #9 on: Oct 25th, 2006, 8:12am »

Oh my God - clove cigarettes it's years since I smoked one.

D'you still get the random snap crackles and pops when inhaling them?

Red Bull's something I've taken too this cycle as well.  After all the O2 you need a drink to get rid of the dry mouth.  Seemed to help, but it's not that useful since most of my hits are nocturnal.  

Shall really have to hook up some water for my O2 tank sometime soon...

IP Logged

O2 and clusterbusters - naturally
Carl_D

Email

« Reply #10 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 6:54am »

I can't do Red Bull due to the Verapamil, but will be getting a pack of Bali Hi clove cigs today.

Peace, and thanks for the tip.
Carl D
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #11 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 7:44pm »

Ya know, clove cigs could be just the thing I need to calm my butt down AND stop smoking.  Gonna give it a try...can't hurt (much)-
Thanks for the tip!!!
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #12 on: Oct 27th, 2006, 10:26pm »

Please report back if you experience anything.  It's not mind numbing, no altered state of conciousness.  LOL

As I said, all I've found was an anxiety relieveing effect.
IP Logged

kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #13 on: Oct 28th, 2006, 3:48am »

So, I stopped at the local store to purchase some clove cigs.  Guy behind the counter says-you know about these doncha?  I said-heard they might have a calming effect and help headaches.  He said-no I mean the bleeding lung thing.  I said:

I think I'll pass on this one

PFDAN
kathy
IP Logged

BigCoffinHunter
New Board Veteran
USA 

The man in black fled across the desert

« Reply #14 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 1:06pm »

Is there actually any evidence for that, or is that just something that 'everyone knows', which usually means it's false?
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #15 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 8:05pm »

I don't know...the research I did indicated that they are "worse" for you than regular cigarettes-but nothing about bleeding lungs...
I'm rethinking it-pretty sure one or two wouldn't hurt
kathy
IP Logged

Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #16 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 10:35pm »

I wouldn't recommend switching brands or anything... laugh

All I've ever bought them for was to have one occasionaly throughout the day if I'm really stressed, instead of my normal Misty Menthol.  Maybe 3-4 a day.
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 30th, 2006, 11:26pm »

Like mint/menthol, cloves are anaesthetic. So a person could inhale deeper and feel less of the burn.  

This was the only article that sounded anything like the bloody lungs warning. Clove in tea probably doesn't have that side effect.  

Quote:
: JAMA. 1988 Dec 23-30;260(24):3641-4. Links
    Evaluation of the health hazard of clove cigarettes. Council on Scientific Affairs.

[No authors listed]

Resolution 43 (1987 Annual Meeting), adopted by the House of Delegates, resolved that the American Medical Association study the dangers associated with clove cigarettes, that policy recommendations regarding regulation of clove and other tobacco additives be developed, and that this information be made available to physicians and the public. Clove cigarettes are tobacco products. They therefore possess all the hazards associated with smoking all-tobacco cigarettes. In addition, inhaling clove cigarette smoke has been associated with severe lung injury in a few susceptible individuals with prodromal respiratory infection. Some individuals with normal respiratory tracts have apparently suffered aspiration pneumonitis as the result of a diminished gag reflex induced by a local anesthetic action of eugenol (the active component of cloves), which is volatilized into the smoke. The American Medical Association has an existing policy vigorously opposing the use of any tobacco product; no exemption from this policy is made for clove-containing cigarettes.

PMID: 3057254 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]
« Last Edit: Oct 30th, 2006, 11:28pm by floridian » IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #18 on: Oct 31st, 2006, 9:30am »

Thanks Floridian...are you a professional researcher?  Seriously, I'm pretty good at finding info, but you are the "bomb" as they say.  Thanks!
kathy
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss