Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 6th, 2024, 1:30pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Stop Grinding your Teeth »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Stop Grinding your Teeth
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Stop Grinding your Teeth  (Read 808 times)
Randy_Pippin
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Stop Grinding your Teeth
« on: Oct 11th, 2006, 10:38pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After the Doctors and CT Scan gave me no help, I just went home and suffered with my Cluster Headaches as I had before. Losing sleep was one of the many side effects.

So now I need a tooth pulled, so it's dentist time. The Dentist checks me out, I mention I didn't sleep well as he noticed I was kind of sluggish.

After he asked me why and I told him about the horrible 'migraines' (As that's what I thought it was), he said it might be a result of me Grinding my Teeth at night.

The Dentist noticed some evidence of it and asked me if I ever catch myself grinding my teeth. I did, a lot, not realizing it was a problem. He told me that it is a major cause of headaches during the night.

He said when ever I notice myself grinding my teeth in the day, to stop myself, think about it and eventually I stopped at night. The Headaches were gone!

I read stories on how the 'Cluster headaches' start after people go to sleep. Who knows, maybe there is a link of some kind. Maybe grinding your teeth is part of the cluster headache problem.

I know that when I experienced them, I wanted to die. And it would last for days as I was still grinding during the entire time due to stress.

I would love it, if this information helps, even if it helps just one person. I would love it even more if it helped hundreds. The doctors couldn't or wouldn't help me, but the Dentist had the solution. Well, for me anyway.

I still have the head rush type instant 'brain freeze' pain come, the way I deal with it is to tighten my muscles in my legs and arms and keep breathing, this causes the blood to flow to the muscles and out of the head (I guess) where it causes the swelling and pain to subside in a matter of seconds.
IP Logged
chewy

Email

Re: Stop Grinding your Teeth
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 10:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
but the Dentist had the solution.

Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes Roll Eyes
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 11:52pm »

Quote:
I just went home and suffered with my Cluster Headaches as I had before.

So you said that the Dr. and the CT scan did you no good.   How did you/they determine you have cluster headaches then?

Look to the left....see the cluster traits link?  click on it and get back to us  

PLEASE.    We'd like to help you.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Oct 11th, 2006, 11:57pm »

one more thing......

Please do not have any more dentisrty done solely thinking that will cure you of cluster headaches until you've done your homework.  Way too many people have had all their teeth pulled in a,   too sad effort,  to rid their pain.

Cluster headaches are much more complicated than that.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #4 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 1:05am »

Well....

Don't think so on the tooth-grinding thing.  No disrespect to your dentist--I'm sure that tooth-grinding may cause headaches, but I don't think it causes cluster headache.  Cluster headache is a neurological condition.

Read the "cluster traits" link at the left side of your screen.  

I've never ground my teeth at night.  My wife EJ, used to.  (She doesn't anymore.)  It was an unbelievably horrible sound--like a parrot sharpening its beak on a rock.  Made the hair on the back of my neck stand up.  

Yet I get CH, and she never has.

As Linda said, please take the cluster quiz at the left side of your screen and get back to us.  

I'm also a bit flummoxed by your technique of tensing your muscles, causing your headaches to vanish "in seconds".  If tensing up made cluster headaches go away, most of us would have cured ourselves years ago.

They don't last "for days", either.

Again, get back to us after you've done a bit more research.

Regards,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #5 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 1:33am »

Years ago I was given a mouthpiece to wear at night-to stop my teeth grinding-which I was not doing-but it didn't help.  Duh.  I wasn't gringing my teeth, I was having clusterheadaches.  However, grinfing your teeth will give you a headache and interfer with sleep-just doesn't cause Chs.  Recently someone posted on this board that we have clusters because we're so nasty. That explains it to my satisfaction.  Am trying to be nicer. Grin
Did however, have all my wisdom teeth yanked-which sure explains alot about me Tongue
kathy (who still has most of her teeth)
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #6 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 4:09am »

on Oct 12th, 2006, 1:33am, kcopelin wrote:
 Recently someone posted on this board that we have clusters because we're so nasty. That explains it to my satisfaction.  Am trying to be nicer. Grin

ROTFLMAO    laugh    

Jean
« Last Edit: Oct 12th, 2006, 4:10am by TxBasslady » IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
rickyshot
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

ouch

« Reply #7 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 11:28am »

I wish I had all the money I spent on bullshit treatments which may be good for other headaches but not clusters. I did the dentist thing too in the past which included pulling a wrong tooth and a mouthpiece for TMJ all kinds of shit like that.  

It is a neurological event and if you really suffer clusters the dentist won't have the answer. You obviously have some other type of headache. God I hope you don't have clusters too.  

BTW that shit did not even help my migraines. They are too complicated another neurological event.  

Clusters and migraines are not just bad headaches. People still don't get it. And there are many snake oil salesman waiting to fleece you out of your money.  

Alternative approaches which have been proven on this board to help but THERE IS NO CURE Get that through your head.

Energy Drinks
Vit B and magnesium
Taurine
Ice or cold therapy
Oxygen (the best one for a hit)
Busting with ethogens morning glory seeds. Baby woodrose seeds, mushrooms (study being done in Harvard) and is a great control.  
IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 11:31am »

yes, there is no cure.

c
IP Logged
no-one
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

aude sapere        cogito ergo         disce pati

beckyulissi   Becku22

« Reply #9 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 12:52pm »

Randy,

I am sorry to inform you but grinding your teeth will not cause clusters Yes you can and will get major headaches from your grinding, but they are caused by your TMJ. They are very painfull and I am glad that you have found a way to stop your headaches. A hard night gaurd is the best way to stop grinding your teeth, I am very surprised your dentist didn't recomend one for you.
I pray that you don't have clusters, as others have said take the quiz on the side to help figure out what type of headaches you are really having. Where you seeing a Neuro or your faimily Dr.??
Pain Free wishes
the toothfairy
b
IP Logged

"Be who you are and say what you feel...Because those that matter....don't mind....And those that mind....don't matter."

Man is what he believes. Anton Chekhov

Unless you believe, you will not understand.
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

« Reply #10 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 3:06pm »

on Oct 12th, 2006, 11:31am, Charlotte wrote:
yes, there is no cure.

c

YET

IP Logged
tanner
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Adopt a POW/MIA I have

sc_clusterhead1  
Email

« Reply #11 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 3:41pm »

Had all my teeth pulled when I was 20  

Migraines didn't go away till I was 26

Clusters started when I was 33

Am now 53, Zero PF days

Maybe a grinder will work....anyone have a Milwaukee?
IP Logged

I AM THE MASTER OF MY MIND, MY BODY, AND MY EMOTIONS...
it's just my head that sucks...http://www.centerforlit.com/

AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #12 on: Oct 12th, 2006, 7:23pm »

Dear Kid,

Thanks for the tooth and here's your five dollars.
I'll be back tonight for the rest of them.

The Tooth fairy.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Flash

Email

« Reply #13 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 6:44am »

I got told this grinding teeth crap back in 1986.  Discovered the most satisfactory way to alleviate teeth grinding was to punch my GP.  Repeatedly.  Till he saw sense.
IP Logged
Flash

Email

« Reply #14 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 6:45am »

on Oct 12th, 2006, 3:41pm, tanner wrote:

Had all my teeth pulled when I was 20  

Migraines didn't go away till I was 26

Clusters started when I was 33

Am now 53, Zero PF days

Maybe a grinder will work....anyone have a Milwaukee?

Have you had your jaw removed yet?  There is a 0.01% chance that this will cure the problem, and I'm sure there's a quack somewhere that would perform the procedure for $10,000.  Let me know how you get on Smiley

IP Logged
Flash

Email

« Reply #15 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 6:50am »

on Oct 11th, 2006, 10:38pm, Randy_Pippin wrote:
I still have the head rush type instant 'brain freeze' pain come, the way I deal with it is to tighten my muscles in my legs and arms and keep breathing, this causes the blood to flow to the muscles and out of the head (I guess) where it causes the swelling and pain to subside in a matter of seconds.

Try placing a cold chisel on you temple.  Then get someone to knock it into your brain with a sledgehammer.  Then coterise the would by aiming a blowtorch into the eye socket.  Then attach electrodes to every tooth on that side of your mouth and zap your self with 240V AC 13 amps.  Finally pout some molten steel into your ear.

Does the pain feel anything like that?  No???  Well at least now you know that a cluster headache is.

Thanks for your interest.
« Last Edit: Oct 13th, 2006, 6:51am by Flash » IP Logged
BB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Newbie
Mongolia 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Oct 13th, 2006, 8:05am »

on Oct 13th, 2006, 6:50am, Flash wrote:

Try placing a cold chisel on you temple.  Then get someone to knock it into your brain with a sledgehammer.  Then coterise the would by aiming a blowtorch into the eye socket.  Then attach electrodes to every tooth on that side of your mouth and zap your self with 240V AC 13 amps.  Finally pout some molten steel into your ear.

Does the pain feel anything like that?  No???  Well at least now you know that a cluster headache is.

Thanks for your interest.

Excellent description! One to bring to the doc for further education ..

Annette
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #17 on: Oct 14th, 2006, 3:59pm »

I have had headaches related to grinding my teeth.  They were nasty.  I got the mouthpiece ($1 generic football mouthguard) and they went away.  I thought they were the worst headaches I had ever had.

Enter the beast... now I would kill for headaches related to teeth grinding.  If i never got CH, I would have thought those headaches were bad, but now I realize there is no comparison.

I have had kidney stones, gall stones, and broken bones too... nothing compared to the beast at his worst.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Polly_C
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Ready to do battle with the beast

« Reply #18 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 9:38am »

on Oct 13th, 2006, 6:44am, Flash wrote:
I got told this grinding teeth crap back in 1986.  Discovered the most satisfactory way to alleviate teeth grinding was to punch my GP.  Repeatedly.  Till he saw sense.

To stop myself doing the same I had to walk out on one occasion when a GP suggested it was teethgrinding - no, actually he insisted it was that even though I told him I knew what teethgrinding HA felt like, having done a bit in my time (teacher training brought it on) and it's NO WHERE NEAR the pain of CH (I didnt know I was CH at the time - was still struggling misdiagnosis and stupid GPs that wouldnt LISTEN to me). he pretty much told me to go away and see my dentist. well, what I did instead was went home, cried a bit, got frustrated and really mad then went online to find out for myself what could cause the most excrutiating pain Id ever experienced (and Ive had kidney stones too). Thank god for CH.com and the OUCH UK helpline people without whom I'd still be going through this cycle (currently at 2 months) with no relief or support. Im now on O2 and getting my life back together. thanks to all you CH supporters and organisations. great reading your posts.

Pol  Smiley
IP Logged
Polly_C
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

Ready to do battle with the beast

« Reply #19 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 9:43am »

on Oct 14th, 2006, 3:59pm, FramCire wrote:
I have had headaches related to grinding my teeth.  They were nasty.  I got the mouthpiece ($1 generic football mouthguard) and they went away.  I thought they were the worst headaches I had ever had.

Enter the beast... now I would kill for headaches related to teeth grinding.  If i never got CH, I would have thought those headaches were bad, but now I realize there is no comparison.

I have had kidney stones, gall stones, and broken bones too... nothing compared to the beast at his worst.

kidney stones and CH? seems there's a few of us. is this some sort of trend or are we just really unlucky? yeah I thought kidney stones were bad but I seriously underestimated how much pain I could be in - now I know the score.
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #20 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 10:41am »

on Oct 21st, 2006, 9:43am, Polly_C wrote:

kidney stones and CH? seems there's a few of us. is this some sort of trend or are we just really unlucky? yeah I thought kidney stones were bad but I seriously underestimated how much pain I could be in - now I know the score.

I know kidney stones are a side effect of topomax (which I was on for a while), which many of us have taken (and enjoyed the stupidity that comes with it).

Maybe other drugs we take have it as a side effect too?

Back to the topic.  If you think you gtrind your teeth at night, buy a $1 football mouthgaurd (which your form in hot water) and try it out for a week.  My dentist told me to use it rather than get the $600 one he could make for me.   Most honest dentist EVER.  I wish I still lived in MA and could go to him.  Anyway, I used it for a month or two and now don't need it.

IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #21 on: Oct 21st, 2006, 6:27pm »

I had a dentist tell me the same thing.  I invested in a mouth gard and it didn't do anything to stop my cluster headaches.  A dentist can not help with ch.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
jon019

Email

« Reply #22 on: Nov 4th, 2006, 8:34pm »

on Oct 21st, 2006, 6:27pm, Karla wrote:
I had a dentist tell me the same thing.  I invested in a mouth gard and it didn't do anything to stop my cluster headaches.  A dentist can not help with ch.

No they can't. But mine DID diagnose the CH. (beat the GP's who had no clue) Prince of a man who researched my symptoms and REFUSED to pull the perfectly good teeth I insisted he yank.  

Also grind my teeth and have been for 10 yrs BEFORE CH. All my teeth are flat (the ones I haven't busted). Never got a headache from it. Have gone through a half dozen very expensive mouthguards, but at least they save the teeth I've got left.  

In my case, I don't believe there is any connection whatsoever between teeth grinding and CH. Both are a bitch, but the former is the common four legged kind and the later is a beast from hell.

Regards

Jon
IP Logged
r_headache
New Board Junior
Germany 

Air Force Rocks!!

« Reply #23 on: Nov 7th, 2006, 6:10pm »

oh great....now I have to worry about pissing out pellets (kidney stones)??? wonderful!!! I thought that the monster was bad enough.  But I guess that I have a high pain tollerance since i'm still around so b.b. size stones should be a relief!!!  LOL
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss