Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 19th, 2024, 8:40am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « What Kind of O2 Mask? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   What Kind of O2 Mask?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: What Kind of O2 Mask?  (Read 282 times)
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

What Kind of O2 Mask?
« on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 11:57am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi All...

Gotta quick question...I had oxygen delivered on Fri.  Here is my question--what kind of O2 mask should I have???  
My doctor prescribed "a full-face mask W/NO BAG".  Over the years I have used the O2 with a mask without bag as well as one time with a bag (after my neighbor suggested that I do so).  Which one is the right way???  I am seriously confused here b/c the doctor specifically wrote full-face mask with no bag.  Hence that is all they gave me.   Is this right or wrong?  Thanks guys.  Hope you are all PF today.
Starlight
IP Logged
Gator
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer

Re: What Kind of O2 Mask?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:22pm »

According to leading doctors in the treatment of CH (Kudrow, Rozen, ect.), a Non-Rebreathing Mask (one with the bag on it) is recommended.  I think you'll get the same opinion from everyone here who has successfully tried oxygen.  The trick is to breath 100% pure oxygen.  Other masks and the canula allow outside air in diluting the oxygen and the abortive effect.

One of the best masks I have found in the clustermasx.  It's design allows for a tight seal and the different size bags allow you to use a bag big enough for you to take full deep breaths instead of huffing short breaths like when you use the cheapie NRB masks.

Edited to add:  You should also have a regulator that goes up to 15lpm.  If the doctor scoffs at any of this, show him this:

http://www.chhelp.org/mhni.html

« Last Edit: Jul 23rd, 2006, 4:24pm by Gator » IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Re: What Kind of O2 Mask?
« Reply #2 on: Jul 23rd, 2006, 10:30pm »

Gator,

Thanks a lot for the info and the link!  Previously that was the impression that I was under--that I needed the nonrebreathing mask (had it last time and only last time) until this doc told me that I did not!  Well, now I will try to get ahold of one--I have O2 10L but it is good to know that if that stops working I should go up to 15L.  I have had problems before with massive freaking headaches breaking through the oxygen and maybe it has something to do with having the wrong amount.  God why are doctors so confused?  I don't get it.  I guess we could try to figure that out all day along with trying to unravel the mystery of the pyramids.  Thank you so much for the information!  
Starlight
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss