Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2024, 5:54pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Any experience with anti-depressants? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Any experience with anti-depressants?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Any experience with anti-depressants?  (Read 347 times)
Cat_CH
New Board Newbie
Norway 

Any experience with anti-depressants?
« on: Jul 13th, 2006, 1:03pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi everybody!

I hope you can share your experience with me...

I have now been in cycle for 11 months (not yet diagnosed cronic at least), and it is starting to wear me out. The attacks seem to worsen relating to my menstrual cycle, so that I get much worse when I am premenstrual (as if PMS wasn't bad enough..).  

The thing is I wonder if I should ask my doc for some anti-depressants, since I feel like living in a "black hole" much of the time.  

Have you had any experience with this? Could it interact in bad ways with verap or imitrex?  

Any recommendations for anti-depressants?  

I hope this is not a sensitive question..

Best regards,
Cat
IP Logged
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

Re: Any experience with anti-depressants?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 1:49pm »

I have been on a number of anti-depressents but never in cycle.  The most recent one I was on was Lexapro.  It worked great for the anxiety, I didnt care about anything.  Nothing made me mad or sad but nothing made me happy either.  One of the major side effects of Lexapro and meds like it is suicidal thoughts.  The doctor usually tells you that if you have those thoughts to tell someone and get right back in.  My concern is that, me personally, I already have that problem in the middle of a kip 10, so why add to it.  It scares me when I hear about a fellow CHer on those pills.  I stopped cold turkey (not recommended) a week into my cycle.  I could not take the feelings I was getting.
IP Logged

Half of all profits made from purchases made at http://my.tupperware.com/jengasperson will go to O.U.C.H.
Making a difference has to start with "me"
Cat_CH
New Board Newbie
Norway 

« Reply #2 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 3:13pm »

Thank you for sharing! Smiley

From what I can see (trying to do a bit of net research), Lexapro is an antidepressant of the SSRI-type. It will be interesting to ask my neuro if he has experienced differences between types of antidepressants in CH patients.

I am sorry to hear you had suicidal thoughts...that really really sucks. I'll take that advice and ask about it as well. As you I have some of these unpleasant thoughts when I'm at my worst. I hate it.  

Thanks again for responding, and all the best to you!

Cat

IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 3:44pm »

I took Paxil when I had panic attacks that were getting so bad I couldn't drive to work.  Took differing amounts and settled on 10 mg, which allowed me to drive.

After the panic attacks calmed down, I cut back to 5 mg and continued it several more months  specifically because it reduced the ch pain.

This year, I tried 5 mg paxil again.  It did reduce the pain, but from the bottom, not the top.  I stopped taking it because I don't need the lower level pain masked.

I also tried St Johns Wort, Valerian, & Magnesium about 10 years ago and it did help at the time. with pain management & depression.
« Last Edit: Jul 13th, 2006, 3:45pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 16th, 2006, 6:42pm »

I have taken celexa, wellbutrin, serzone, effexor, and I am sure a few more I can't think to mention.  I also take antiphycotics such as Geodon, abilify, seroquel, etc.  These are all ok to take with the abortives and preventatives that you may need for ch.  If you have any doubts or concerns I would recomend that you talk to your local pharmacist.  I hope I have helped some.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
Melissa

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 16th, 2006, 11:13pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Always ask your doc about any drug interactions first.  

I have taken Zoloft, Wellbutrin and for my most recent cycle, Cymbalta.  I don't take any preventatives other than Kudzu, so I don't have the experience of how they'd react to each other.

Currently I am on a vitamin regimen to control my depression with an anxiety disorder.

Good luck to you!
mel
IP Logged
Radha
New Board Junior
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 12:06am »

mel, could you please list what your vitamin regimen is to help depression and anxiety? i dont want to take meds for this since i already take so many meds, thanks
radha
IP Logged
Melissa

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 11:49pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

on Jul 17th, 2006, 12:06am, Radha wrote:
mel, could you please list what your vitamin regimen is to help depression and anxiety? i dont want to take meds for this since i already take so many meds, thanks
radha

If you can, try and get ahold of (like on amazon.com) the book by Prevention Health Library called "Vitamin Cures".  

Now, here's what I take every day...

multivitamin
B6
B complex
B12
Magnesium
Selenium
Vitamin C
Folic Acid

Sometimes you may need to either add one in or take one out depending on what you feel is working for you.  Always let your doctor know what you are doing, as some vitamins cannot be taken with certain medications.  A good doc will help you and monitor your progress as depression is nothing to take lightly.  We don't need anyone spiriling down or out of control!

Also, I was on Cymbalta before I switched to the vitamins.  My doc helped me taper down, kept a close eye on me, and knows everything that I'm taking now.

Good luck to you!
Smileymel
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss