Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 16th, 2024, 7:31pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Imitrex side effects ? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Imitrex side effects ?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Imitrex side effects ?  (Read 292 times)
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Imitrex side effects ?
« on: Jul 12th, 2006, 11:49am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello,
 I have been a CH sufferer for quite a while and have posted here before- I also know there are other posts relating/discussing side effects of IM. However. But I would like to hear back from anyone on vascular side effects on IM.
I had a bad bout earleir thsi year- 8 weeks nonstop. Tooka fair amount of IM injections but mostly kept within the 'dosage' limits but I had injections eevry day ( or as much as dosage would allow) for the longest time I had ever done so.

Here is the issue.
I started getting severe leg cramps about 4 weeks ago (right calf after walking 50-100 yards) and just had a full ultrsound testing blood flow and have been advsied that I have a definite constrition/blockage somewhere in my right leg which while require further tests and most probably surgery--
Has anyone else had any similiar situations ??
I am trying to deetrmine if this is caused by IM or not ?
I understand that IM causes vascular constriction and wondering if being off IM will aleviate the problem or if there is a way to determine if this is a definite side effect caused by IM.
Thank you for your input..
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

Re: Imitrex side effects ?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 6:33pm »

I have not and I have not heard of that as a side effect.  Keep us posted!!!

Good Vibes!!

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
BKJ

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

PVD (peripheral vascular disease) is not an uncommon process in regular folks.  But I can't speak as to whether there is an increased risk for Imitrex users.  Certainly its use in contraindicated in anyone with any form of vascular disease as it can cause heart attacks, strokes etc.  Did they check for vascular flow in any other areas such as carotid arteries, other leg, etc?  If you have constriction in one area, you might want to know if any other areas are involved since it would put you at higher risk of having a complications of using Imitrex.
IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 8:05pm »

Sorry to hear of your problem.  I'm no doctor, but if your cycle has been over for awhile and you aren't currently on Trex, it's doubtful to me that's the cause.

Trex is definitely a vasoconstrictor, but its effects wear off after about 12 hours.  Most of the danger or side effects occur within a few hours (or minutes) of injection.

Chances are, you have a blood clot or other blockage which can come from numerous causes.  I would guess they'll first treat you with Coumadin or Heparin before they recommend surgery.  My thoughts and prayers are with you.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
ray4903
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 1:04am »

I want to thank everyone so far for their insighst/advice especially Kris-- thank you again-- you guys are great !!
As a CH sufferer this is a great 'community' again - thank you-- For any who are interested - I posted ' 'A sSory from Mr. Cluster' in the 'supporters area many months ago-- surpisingly it helped me through my own CH. and I had a lot of feedback from mnay people about how accurate it was.
Back to business- it sounds like my problems are 'other' , not IM related which is both good and bad news- as it were -- good news that side effects of IM don't seem to produce my additional 'problem from a vascular standpoint -- but bad as I have to figure out what else it is..
Such is life.. You all take care .. and thank you again.. be well and PF... !! Smiley
IP Logged
navymech
New Board Newbie
Noflag 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #5 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 9:00pm »

I have been using Imitrex injections for about 2 months and sometimes a few minutes after using I have some pain in the joints of my knees and under my shins but only after I go a few days without using the meds. Hope this helps, good luck
IP Logged
zmattmanz
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 10:43am »

Right now I have a fist size bruise on my left leg, in the middle it's hard like a cyst, I asked my dermatologoist about it, he said not to worry until a month later when I come back..
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss