Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 17th, 2024, 2:22am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « HELP!  I am swollen! »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   HELP!  I am swollen!
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: HELP!  I am swollen!  (Read 463 times)
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

HELP!  I am swollen!
« on: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:02am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Something very strange is going on.  I am swelling like crazy.  My ankles are twice their normal size.  My face, my legs, my hands are all swelling.  I started Melatonin last week.  I am also on Verapamil and O2.  I have taken some taurine with the energy drinks.  Has anyone experienced this with any of these meds.  I have not taken an Imitrex injection in over a week and I have been done with my prednisone for two weeks now. Huh Huh Huh
IP Logged

Half of all profits made from purchases made at http://my.tupperware.com/jengasperson will go to O.U.C.H.
Making a difference has to start with "me"
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

Re: HELP!  I am swollen!
« Reply #1 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:15am »

My guess would be the verapamil - what dose are you on?

Quote:
What are the possible side effects of verapamil?  
 •  If you experience any of the following serious side effects, stop taking verapamil and contact your doctor immediately or seek emergency medical treatment:  
 · an allergic reaction (difficulty breathing; closing of the throat; swelling of the lips, tongue, or face; or hives);  
 · an unusually fast or slow heartbeat;  
 · shortness of breath (heart failure);  
 · fainting;  
 · abnormal behavior or psychosis;  
 · jaundice (yellowing of the skin or eyes); or  
· swelling of the legs or ankles.

Source: http://www.drugs.com/Verapamil/index.html

Hope it settles down for you, but worth seeing a doc.

-Lee
IP Logged
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #2 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:15am »

Jenrob- Please call your Dr's exchange right away!
   OR, grab your neds and get yourself immediately to an emergency room!

No messing around here......and please let us know when you are home!
Now, GO!

Cathi
« Last Edit: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:17am by Cathi04 » IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
lionsound
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

breathe

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:16am »

please call your doc.
IP Logged
starlight
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #4 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:16am »

Hi Jenrob--

I am sorry this is happening to you--I think you should  call your doctor right away.  I have been on everything you have mentioned except Verapamil and not had any swelling.  But everybody could have individual reactions to each thing.  (I have been on melatonin for about 5 days so I don't have much experience with that).  I definitely do not think it could be the oxygen though.  Call your doctor and I hope he/she will identify what it is for you.  I hope you are feeling better, Starlight
IP Logged
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 9:47am »

I called the doctor and they said to come in tomorrow morning.  It is better than my original appointment which was in two weeks.
IP Logged

Half of all profits made from purchases made at http://my.tupperware.com/jengasperson will go to O.U.C.H.
Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #6 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 11:08am »

Jen....Tomorrow morning?? Not sure that's good enough! Was this a nurse who set up the appt? Did you speak to your DR? I am not an alarmist, I assure you, but I am concerned.
So, let's go with this.......how's the swelling? Has it increased?  Has it subsided or is it the same? Any trouble swallowing? Walking?
I'm so sorry you are going thru this, Jen, and I hope it is a very simple thing, which most likely it is, but, I just want to be  sure you're ok....................OK?

Keep us posted, wouldja please?

Cathi-who is sending you a hug, coz you could use one!
IP Logged

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but by the moments that take our breath away.
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 11:37am »

My ankles seem to be the worse.  Last night they were pretty bad and they hurt a lot.  My husband massaged them for me and I went to bed.  This morning they were not as bad, but now that I have been walking on them, they seem to be getting worse.  My throat is fine and I feel OK other than the constant hang over I feel when in cycle.  The Dr. upped my Verapolmil two weeks ago to 480 mg.  I remember noticing some swelling a week ago, but nothing to write home about.  I contributed it to us moving and carrying heavy stuff.  But now, I am not doing anything strenuous and they are getting worse.  Also, I noticed that my face was looking swollen a couple of days ago.  The only thing that concerns me is that I have a mitral regurg and the Verapomil may be affecting that.  
When I called, I told them that I had an appt in two weeks but that I needed to move it up because I was swelling and I told them what I was on.  She said that was the earliest they could see me.
We are new to the area and we dont have insurance yet, so as long as I feel OK, I think I am going to wait to see him tomorrow.  If I start to feel strange, I promise I will go to the ER.  Thank you for your well wishes.  I am trying not to freak out but it seems like it never ends with this thing.  Once you have the attacks somewhat under control, then you have to deal with all of the side effects from all of the drugs you have to take.   Cry
IP Logged

Cathi04
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #8 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 11:59am »

Jen, Not sure what your orig dose of Verap was, and 480 is pretty much in the right area, but, did you go from, say, 240 to 480 overnight?? Verap should be increased in increments.  
Same is true of you go off verap when out of cycle...you never  quit, rather, slowly cut it back.....

Maybe we have hit on something!  

Take care Jen!

Cathi
IP Logged

Margi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Nuthin like a good neck rub!

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 12:20pm »

Jen, please keep in mind that none of us are doctors here.  Yes, swelling can be a side effect of the verapamil and it IS usually quite benign, we've had a few sufferers have this reaction.  To my knowledge, it doesn't go away until the dosage is lowered.  

However, 480mg isn't that high a dose and quite often isn't high enough for a clusterhead (my hubby went up to 960 before he felt any improvement).   You could very well be having an allergic reaction that needs to be treated TODAY!!

Please call your doc's office back and insist on being seen today.  Tell them that you are coming over right now and will sit in the waiting room until the doctor can talk to you for five minutes.  Don't even give them a chance to say no.  Hell, just go there, don't even bother calling.  Medical receptionists are not doctors and quite often their priorities are looking good for their bosses by not overloading them with patients.    

This swelling could be nothing more than your body adjusting to the newer dose, but it could also be that your body is rejecting the drug and is gearing up for all out war with it.  Please don't take the chance and gamble, ok?  Please go to your doc's office now.  They HAVE to see you.   Even if you have to sit there for a few hours.  At least, if this escalates, you'll be in a better place to get medical attention.  Please?
IP Logged

http://askusaboutourgrandkids.photosite.com/

And, on the Eighth Day...God created Beer (to stop the Canadians from taking over the world)
source unknown

IMHO (which in my universe is correct)
kathy copelin, ch.com 8/8/06
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 1:45pm »

Sounds like edema.
It can be a side effect of verapamil.

I got it lkast year @ Dallas convention and I looked worse than my grandma
Considering it is summer you must drink a lot of water.

call doctor now.

It may or may not be something serious.
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

« Reply #11 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 2:38pm »

I just got off the phone with the doctor.  He told me that it is not emergency, but I do need to come in tomorrow.  He reduced the verapamil to 240 mg and said that edema is a side effect.  I mentioned my mitral regurg and he said he was aware and that he did not want to overload my heart so he was reducing the verapamil.  That concerns me a bit, does that mean that he was overloading my heart with the 480?  Undecided I guess I will find out more tomorrow.  If anything happens tonight, I will just go to the ER.

Thank you everyone for your conern and thoughts.  I am so happy that I can come here when I need advice and there are so many people willing to help.  You guys are AWESOME!!!
IP Logged

E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 2:46pm »

good luck!
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #13 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 6:31pm »

YES YES PLEASE CALL YOUR DOCTOR!!!!
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
walkertexasranger
New Board Newbie
USA 

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 8:58pm »

Jen,

Stay off your feet until the appt.  

Thoughts and prayers are with you!!  

Mark
IP Logged
Mr H
New Board Newbie
Wales 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #15 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 10:22am »

I am on high dose verapamil and get very uncomfortable, swollen ankles quite often and my feet feel as if they will burst if I touch them.

It is a side effect and my neurologist said to sit with my feet up high for an hour in the morning afternoon and evening. Actually I have to lie down with my feet propped up!

Good luck with everything.
IP Logged
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

« Reply #16 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 1:44pm »

I just got back from the neuro.  They had the PA and the Dr come in.  He said the swelling was from the Verapamil.  He lowered the dosage to 240.  But he said that could make the attacks worse, since they have been consistent, 1 or 2 a night) but a hell of a lot less intense since the 480 mg.
He said he was concerned because when he look at my eyes, the discs were not shaped correctly and had some sort of pulsation.  Huh He thinks that may be the cause of this.  He is sending me to an eye doc.  He asked me about visual disturbances and I said I always get them when I am in cycle and I always just attribute it to that.  
He asked me again about the MRI's I have had because the prednisone did not work this cycle and that can indicate a change in pattern and he wants me to have another one.  I do not have insurance until September.  He said if the lower dosage of Verapamil causes the headahes to get stronger, he is going to try me on Topamax.  I was on Topamax for three years.  I dont like the stuff, but I was only on 100mg at the max.  
So needless to say, I dont know if I should be relieved that the swelling is OK, or nervous about everything else.  I feel like I am starting all over again with all of these tests.  I have been to every doctor know to mankind in the past 15 years.  Since we just moved here and I am a new patient, I guess I can understand, but it is still frustrating.
He tried to convince me again that I am in the minority being female and all.  He also told me to avoid caffiene because it doesnt get into my system fast enough to work and then will leave with a caffiene withdraw headache.
Sorry I have rambled so long, but this is frustrating.  My choices basically are: deal with the intesity of full blown attacks, or deal with all of the side effects of the drugs.   bigcry
I am alergic to the prednisone, but not enough to do too much harm, so I dont tell them.  The good outweighs the bad. He did give me some more samples of Imitrex injections becasue I told him that I do not take one unless the pain is a 6 or above because I cannot afford them without insurance.
But moral to the story is, supposedly, the swelling is nothing to worry about at this point.  If it doesnt go away with the lowered dosage, I need to go back.
IP Logged

roy21302
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Old Timer
United_Kingdom 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #17 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 3:42pm »

I only just found this entry, you are not alone, my heart goes out too you, I have the same problem.  My ankles and lower legs swell like hell if I increase my verap above about 300.  I have tried increasing slowly but they still swell.  I have to stick to 280 a day and I have Imigran injection for when I get up 8, 9, 10's.  I can't offer any advice but will be thinking of you..........Roy
IP Logged
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jul 13th, 2006, 6:57pm »

Let us know Jenrob!
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
Mr H
New Board Newbie
Wales 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #19 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 10:37pm »

I get very swollen feet/ankles, can't wear shoes and sometimes can't walk very well... but not all the time. I told my neurologist and, like I thought, he said "side-effects or headaches? Its up to you."

I prefer the side effects any day over the headaches!  

Someone told me that I have to 'accept' being the way I am and live life to the best of my ability. I agree with them and my neuro... who is VERY good.

I make the most of what time I have and as I always say to people when they ask me how I am... 'life goes on!'

The swollen feet is a side-effect of verapamil. Fact.

Verapamil [960mg a day] keeps my HA's tolerable [mostly].

I am chronic, with 4 x K10's a day, every day... unless I take the verap...  

Try and not panic... it is only water retention... lie with feet up above heart height for an hour or so and the swelling goes down. [I do that 3 times/hours a day. Also, drink 4 - 5 cups of very strong coffee a day and 3 - 4 litres of water... it works!!

But check with your doctor to be safe...  

Good luck!
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss