Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 18th, 2024, 2:26am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Hopkins Research on Shrooms »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Hopkins Research on Shrooms
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Hopkins Research on Shrooms  (Read 571 times)
JimLaff
New Board Junior
USA 

OH CRAP!!!!!

pennjim123  

Hopkins Research on Shrooms
« on: Jul 11th, 2006, 4:42pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I came across this article and thought that some of us would be interesed in it. It has nothing to do with cluster headache but it is a study done by Johns Hopkins on the effects of mushrooms. I have already e-mailed them and suggested a new study on CH. Enjoy.

http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/Press_releases/2006/07_11_06.html
IP Logged

Where do I take this pain of mine
I run but it stays right my side
So tear me open, pour me out
There's things inside that scream and shout
And the pain still hates me
So hold me, until it sleeps
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

Re: Hopkins Research on Shrooms
« Reply #1 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 7:49pm »

I heard about this today on the radio, I thought it was St Johns U though.
Im not sure why they tested it, but they say 36 people tried a full dose of mushrooms.  2 months later, 33% of the people were happier, more active, more optimistic and cherished life more.  Another third of the people were scared shitless when they were on the mushrooms.

36 people is a pretty small test group anyway.
B$
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 11th, 2006, 10:32pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

It also made Yahoo news

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060711/hl_nm/mushrooms_dc;_ylt=AhTEE_16Zwmn RoNhWaxkiZER.3QA;_ylu=X3oDMTA4NW41NTlyBHNlYwMxNzAx

UNsolved
IP Logged
bluebrain
New Board Newbie
Denmark 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 12th, 2006, 2:40am »

WONDERFUL, we have to keep the MOMENTUM, no doubt that a lot is going to happen in the near future, I'm doing as much as I can here in Europe, not an easy job, but A. Sewells/Neurology article has been of great help, do hope a lot of news from the convention even though I myself not being able to participate. The dutch health departament has a very good article about Ps. mushrooms, but still cannot find something about Ps. and 5HT-1b receptor other than in clusterbusters website, best regards Bluebrain
IP Logged
CHvsTN
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

This isn't my head, is it?

« Reply #4 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 11:20am »

It's only very recently that I heard of CH - from my neurologist. Apparently I've (probably) been suffering from it for years. So I've just started my research...

The 'shroom approach sounds like an adventure worth taking, but where mushrooms are concerned, I'm a bit "in the dark" ('scuse the pun). Roll Eyes

I now live alone (my wife couldn't stand the pain!) and am hoping for some reassurance that if I take some, unsupervised, I'm not going to do something stupid like eat my hand off, mistaking it for an apple.

Also, if there's anyone reading who goes 'shroom hunting in the UK, what kind of spots are they likely to grow in? - and do you also agree that 10-12 Liberty Caps are about the correct dose?

Roll on September!

Ritchie
IP Logged

... and by opposing, end them.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 12:03pm »

Ritchie -  

Before you go experimenting, please be sure to check out clusterbusters.com.  You certainly don't want to eat your hand off thinking it's an apple.

You might also try a PM to Pink Floyd, one of our resident experts.

Best Wishes,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
JeffB
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Wide open till you see God, then brake

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 14th, 2006, 5:22pm »

You won't eat your hand off but it will be hard not to smile.
I don't know about 10-12 caps, seems like alot. Whenever they're around we measure them in grams and ounces. If you had a sandwich baggy and pictured dried shrooms (tops/stems) stretching the length of the bag and about an inch deep, thats what we would call an eighth. Every shroom I've had has been grown by a person so I would careful about picking a shroom in the woods and eating it. There was an asain family that picked and ate some shrooms in the redwoods all but 1 died. But if you do get the real deal.....have fun!!!!!!!!!!!!
IP Logged

" It's been my experience that people who have no vices have very little virtues."
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #7 on: Jul 15th, 2006, 6:13am »

Hi Ritchie – here's some advice I received from a friend: you're right to go by quantity not weight.

Small Liberties are just as potent as big ones - do not make a distinction. In fact big shrooms tend to be older and therefore less potent if anything. It is important to mix the sizes to regulate the dose.

6 = threshold
12 = level 1
24 = level 2
36 = level 3

Recommend 6-12 shrooms for clusterbusting. Start with 6 if you don't want to bite your hand off Wink. Don't forget too that it appears easier to prevent a bout from occurring rather than stop one aleady established, so aim to get your timing right.

Do a search on the internet for some piccies of LCs – the "mushroom john" site was good if I remember rightly – I'll dig out a link, or IM me and I'll mail you some photos.  They tend to grow almost everywhere (cow fields are good) in the UK but especially in Wales if you're ever there. Try and pick them early in the morning just after the dew dries up.  Do not wash them and handle with care.

Shrooms should be dried on the day of gathering using a desk fan blowing cold air over them. Do not use heat or hot air. Once dry, pack them in a sealed air tight bag, with a sachet of desiccant, and with the air squeezed out.  Build a 'drying chamber' for best results but not usually necessary for LCs. Store in a cool dark place – the fridge is good but don't let the ex-wife make a salad with them or put them on the kids pizza!  Shocked

I'm hoping to be putting my wellies on this year too now that the UK Government has banned the sale of fresh mushrooms.  Don't forget that picking LCs is now also illegal - apparently the only loophole in the law now is eating them without picking them - a bit like a grazing cow but I wouldn't risk it! Tongue

All the best with it, but if you can't wait that long, check out LSA containing seeds at clusterbusters, a very good starting point for many.

-Lee

Edited to add link: http://www.erowid.org/plants/mushrooms/safe-pik/p_semilanceata.shtml
« Last Edit: Jul 15th, 2006, 6:35am by LeeS » IP Logged
CHvsTN
New Board Newbie
United_Kingdom 

This isn't my head, is it?

« Reply #8 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 5:35am »

Thanks to everyone for their advice. This site is invaluable, and its members so helpful.

Do any of the scientists among you know if what I'm about to suggest is feasible or just plain stupid:

What about making tea from fresh shrooms, letting it cool, and then freeze the solution as a form of preservation/storage. You could then just defrost and boil again. Or... Add some flavouring to the solution before freezing, pour into a mould for ice lollies, freeze,  then "lick the pain"  laugh when required.

What do you think?

Regards,
Ritchie
IP Logged

... and by opposing, end them.
LeeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
United_Kingdom 

I love C12 H16 N2O!

« Reply #9 on: Jul 17th, 2006, 8:03am »

The best way to preserve fresh shrooms is to dry them thoroughly (cracker dry), seal them in an air tight container with dessicant and pop them in the fridge.  I've managed to keep them well-active for more than a year by using this method.

The jury's still out in respect of freezing: some swear by it whereas others claim that freezing breaks down the active ingredient (psilocybin).

-Lee
IP Logged
tommyD
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Anything not impossible is compulsory.

« Reply #10 on: Jul 19th, 2006, 6:11am »

Quote:
The jury's still out in respect of freezing: some swear by it whereas others claim that freezing breaks down the active ingredient (psilocybin).

My humble claim: Freezing will not break down the friendly molecules - just the opposite - the lower the temperature the slower the oxidation reaction.  

But be careful to avoid condensation or your nice, dry shrooms will turn into a soggy mess. The key here is to make sure cold shrooms don't come into contact with warm, moist air.  Seal the package well. Take it out of the freezer and let it warm up to room temperature before unsealing.  

The big culprit though is light - ultraviolet light in particular will break down our friendly little molecule quite quickly. so keep those shrooms in the dark.  Of course, the light bulb does indeed go out when you close the door, so the freezer is a nice, dark place. A wrap in tin foil (you may use your hat) or brown paper or using some sort of opaque container also helps.

Well stored, shrooms should keep their potency for two or three or who knows how many years,  

-tommyD
IP Logged

www.clusterbusters.com
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss