Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 11th, 2024, 6:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « help a newbie...20 year CH sufferer »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   help a newbie...20 year CH sufferer
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: help a newbie...20 year CH sufferer  (Read 850 times)
khead
New Board Newbie
USA 

So much for having a good head on my shoulders...

help a newbie...20 year CH sufferer
« on: Jul 1st, 2006, 6:15pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Huh
I have excused myself from fun today in hopes of finding insurance coverage. So while my head blasts off paying tribute to the 4th of July holiday, I am searching for affordable insurance. There is another catch...I am self employed. Also, has anyone heard of www.wecaremedicalmall.org/global_medication.htm or used such services? In efforts to lower the cost of my meds [topomax/imitrex], I am searching all avenues. One more question, my doctor has suggested that I should consider switching from the Imitrex nasal spray to the injections because it is much more effective for CH sufferers...true?
Thanks for the help!
IP Logged
Racer1_NC
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

"Beeeyul the Cat"

Email

Re: help a newbie...20 year CH sufferer
« Reply #1 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 6:27pm »

on Jul 1st, 2006, 6:15pm, khead wrote:
Huh
One more question, my doctor has suggested that I should consider switching from the Imitrex nasal spray to the injections because it is much more effective for CH sufferers...true?

Most people that use 'trex for CH use the injections. For me, Zomig NS works great.....lasts longer too.

Bill
IP Logged

"Everybody's Gotta Learn Sometime."

Eventus stultorum magister.
unsolved1

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 6:33pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I use the injections for quick relief.  
Not sure about that website, but Imitrex has a patient assistance program (GlaxoSmithKline
Bridges To Access Program http://www.atdn.org/access/pa/lami.html)and  covers both Imitrex & Topomax http://www.atdn.org/access/pa.html

Goodluck

UNsolved  Cool
IP Logged
ShaneM
New Board Junior
USA 

Will someone pull this out of my eye?

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 6:33pm »

Hey there,
I use injections becuase it's quick, fast acting and if you you are smart you can play a few tricks in order to strech your doses.  One is to follow the tip listed on the index to the left of what you are reading now. The other is that imitrex is now being released in a 4mg dose that your insurance co. may be willing to let you have more of at one time (stat dose).  The final and also the best way to stretch it out in my opinion is to get it in vials from the pharm and draw it yourself with insulin gauge needles.  If you are real clean and wipe everything down with alcohol preps, you can fill a couple at a time and have them handy when they are needed. Try real hard not to get into the habit of using the same needle twice...not even your own.  Insurance companys seem to be the beast best friend, don't they?
Good Luck!
Shane
IP Logged
Sean_C

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 7:41pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

How many employees you have will determine how much your health insurance will cost if your self employed. Check out the Small Business Service Bureau in your State and find out what they offer for Group Policy's. Even if you are your only employee you can still get the group plan rate for (Tufts, Blue, Havard etc), and it should save you about 40% compared to individual plans.

I hope that helps,  

Sean.......................
« Last Edit: Jul 1st, 2006, 7:42pm by Sean_C » IP Logged
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 8:10pm »

My husband and I are both self-employed freelancers and have to buy our own insurance.  We joined our state's Small Business Association, but as sole proprietors have to pay a much higher monthly premium.  Good Blue Cross Blue Shield coverage, however.  

Follow the link give above to the "Bridges to Access" program offered by the makers of Trex.  If accepted, you can get your Imitrex quite virtually free or very low cost.  And yes, injections work much better for me - a word of warning, however - here in Michigan if I didn't have insurance, 6 autoinjects would cost $400.00.

Preventatives like Verapamil, however, are very inexpensive and should be another first line of defense in your medicine arsenal.

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 7:35am »

I bought from a Canadian source for several years but US Fed pressures have made the supply chain less stable in recent months. This info from CONSUMER REPORTS, 10/05:

List of 37 Canadian pharmacies which have passed a screening for quality/ethical  
performance.

http://www.ciparx.ca/cipa_pharmacies.html

Source of info about online pharmacies with a similar review process plus price  
information:

http://www.PharmacyChecker.com

And www.LePharmacy.com  (can search their pages for prices, etc.) and a series of forms  
to be downloaded before you can receive meds. All instructions spelled out. (The one I was  
using.)

Also: Partnership for Prescription Assistance  
  www.pparx.org

This paragraph from their web site explains who they are:

The Partnership for Prescription Assistance brings together America

pharmaceutical companies, doctors, other health care providers,
patient advocacy organizations and community groups to help  
qualifying patients who lack prescription coverage get the medicines  
they need through the public or private program that right for  
them. Many will get them free or nearly free. Its mission is to  
increase awareness of patient assistance programs and boost  
enrollment of those who are eligible. Through this site, the  
Partnership for Prescription Assistance offers a single point of  
access to more than 475 public and private patient assistance  
programs, including more than 150 programs offered by pharmaceutical  
companies. To access the Partnership for Prescription Assistance by  
phone, you can call toll-free, 1-888-4PPA-NOW (1-888-477-2669).

And, several of us have had excellent results with this med, which is less expensive than Imitrex.

Headache 2001 Sep;41(Cool:813-6  

Olanzapine as an Abortive Agent for Cluster Headache.

Rozen TD.

Department of Neurology, Jefferson Headache Center/Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, Philadelphia, Pa.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate olanzapine as a cluster headache abortive agent in an open-label trial. BACKGROUND: Cluster headache is the most painful headache syndrome known. There are very few recognized abortive therapies for cluster headache and fewer for patients who have contraindications to vasoconstrictive drugs. METHODS: Olanzapine was given as an abortive agent to five patients with cluster headache in an open-label trial. The initial olanzapine dose was 5 mg, and the dose was increased to 10 mg if there was no pain relief. The dosage was decreased to 2.5 mg if the 5-mg dose was effective but caused adverse effects. To be included in the study, each patient had to treat at least two attacks with either an effective dose or the highest tolerated dose. RESULTS: Five patients completed the investigation (four men, one woman; four with chronic cluster, one with episodic cluster). Olanzapine reduced cluster pain by at least 80% in four of five patients, and two patients became headache-free after taking the drug. Olanzapine typically alleviated pain within 20 minutes after oral dosing and treatment response was consistent across multiple treated attacks. The only adverse event was sleepiness. CONCLUSIONS: Olanzapine appears to be a good abortive agent for cluster headache. It alleviates pain quickly and has a consistent response across multiple treated attacks. It appears to work in both episodic and chronic cluster headache.

------------------------------------------------------------------------ --------

Olanzapine has a brand name of "Zyprexa" and is a antipsychotic. Don't be put off by this primary usage. Several of the drugs used to treat CH are cross over applications, that is, drugs approved by the FDA for one purpose which are found to be effective with unrelated conditions--BJ.
« Last Edit: Jul 3rd, 2006, 7:58am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jul 3rd, 2006, 10:27am »

In my opinion, the injections work 100% faster and better than the other options.  Also, I do not have insurance right now and the Verapamil was 18.00 and the predisone was 10.00.  The O2 was 50.00 a month to rent with two refills.  The only thing that killed me was the doctor wanted me to use Amerge before he would give me the injection samples and it cost 215.00 for 9 pills and the pills do not work fast enough to make it worth it.  We are also looking for inexpensive health insurance because my husband's job is going to be 600.00 a month for family, so if you find any good deals, go ahead and post them.  Good Luck!
IP Logged

Half of all profits made from purchases made at http://my.tupperware.com/jengasperson will go to O.U.C.H.
Making a difference has to start with "me"
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss