Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 11th, 2024, 12:31am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Please recommend a Doc in NY/NJ »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Please recommend a Doc in NY/NJ
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Please recommend a Doc in NY/NJ  (Read 546 times)
mczoom
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Please recommend a Doc in NY/NJ
« on: Jun 30th, 2006, 3:56pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello, My husband has clusters and I was wondering if someone can recommend a Doctor he/she is really knowledgeable and thorough in New York City or New Jersey area. We have been to Dr. Mark Green but want to get a second opinion. Thanks!
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

Re: Please recommend a Doc in NY/NJ
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 4:19pm »

http://www.ouch-us.org/chgeneral/doctors.htm
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2006, 4:20pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 5:56pm »

1. Search the OUCH site (button on left) for a list of recommended M.D.s.

2. Yellow Pages phone book: look for "Headache Clinics" in the M.D. section and look under "neurologist" where some docs will list speciality areas of practice.

3.  Call your hospital/medical center. They often have an office to assist in finding a physician. You may have to ask for the social worker/patient advocate.

4. http://www.achenet.org/physicians/   On-line screen to find a physician.

5. http://www.headaches.org/consumer/index.html Call 1-800-643-5552; they will send a list of M.D.s for your state.I suggest using this source for several reasons: first, we have read several messages from people who, even seeing neurologists, are unhappy with the quality of care and ATTITUDES they have encountered; second, the clinical director of the Jefferson (Philadelphia) Headache Clinic said, in late 1999, that upwards of 40%+ of U.S. doctors have poor training in treating headache and/or hold attitudes about headache ("hysterical female disorder"Wink which block them from sympathetic and effective work with the patient; third, it's necessary to find a doctor who has experience, skill, and a set of attitudes which give hope of success. This is the best method I know of to find such a physician.  

IP Logged

Bob Johnson
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #3 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 4:00pm »

Posted in the "CH Specific" section by "danm" - I think it's on Page 3 now:

" I went to see Dr. Lawrence Newman at The Headache Institute in NYC yesterday.  Although I have been pain-free for about 2 weeks now, I decided to keep my appointment for May 8th.  I’m glad I did.  He is very knowledgeable about cluster headaches.  He was shocked to hear that my last cycle lasted over 4 months.  I told him all the different meds and dosages that I have been on and he told me that the 360 mg. of Verapamil that I was on may not be enough to fight off cluster headaches.  He said the starting dose should be 240 mg. and increased all the way to 1000 mg until the CH is gone.  My previous neuro had me on 180mg. for the longest time before she upped it to 360.  He was also surprised that I have never been prescribed Prednisone as a transitional drug to fight off the headaches until the Verapamil kicks in – usually 7-10 days.  If none of that works, he stated there are dozens of other options.  My old neurologist told me that the last line of defense was lithium.  Dr. Newman said that lithium wouldn’t even work for me unless my headaches were chronic.  Thankfully, mine are only episodic - I feel for all of you chronic sufferers, I don't know how you do it.  Anyway, he said the next time they strike, I shouldn’t be in pain for more than a couple of days.  That may be wishful thinking, but right now I have to hold on to that.

He was also very nice and personable.  It took me over 2 months to get an appt. but he told me that if I had mentioned that I was in a cluster cycle when I initially called, that I would have had an appt. within a few days.  He said his doors are always open for cluster sufferers.  He also said that he answers all phone calls personally within a day or so.  We also laid out a plan of attack the next time the CH strikes.  I hope it is a long time from now but I am confident that the next cycle will not be nearly as bad as this one.

I would highly recommend Dr. Newman to any cluster sufferer in the NY/NJ/CT metropolitan area.

PF wishes to all,

Dan "

This Dr. Newman does not accept insurance (though if you have insurance perhaps you can submit for reimbursement) - but if I remember correctly, he suffers from CH himself.

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
ShawnW
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #4 on: Jul 1st, 2006, 8:46pm »

I've had really good experience with Dr. William L. Cantor in Westwood, NJ.  Dr. Cantor seems very knowledgeable about the condition.  I particularly like his open-minded attitude and willingness to talk about different strategies for dealing with it.

I had originally gone to Dr. Cantor (who is an otolaryngologist) with a diagnosis of sinusitis from another doctor.  Dr. Cantor is the one who correctly diagnosed me with cluster headaches, and I've been pleased with the treatment I've gotten from him since.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss