Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 12th, 2024, 12:28am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen question  (Read 1047 times)
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

Oxygen question
« on: Jun 30th, 2006, 9:20am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

After 14 years of this, my new doctor has put me on oxygen for the first time.  I have used it the last two nights with no relief.  I have read all of the links here and some of the posts and I know that it should be working.  My question is this... the mask that I received is supposed to be a non-rebreather mask.  But, there are two sets of holes on either side of the mask.  One is covered by a little circle of cardboard, but the other is not.  Is the mask missing something or is that the way it is supposed to be?  He has me on 8-10 for 10 minutes.  I really would like the oxygen to work.  Right now I am on 480 mg of Verapamil, a predisone taper, Imitrex injections, and a diet of avoiding everything. Embarassed  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks.
IP Logged

Half of all profits made from purchases made at http://my.tupperware.com/jengasperson will go to O.U.C.H.
Making a difference has to start with "me"
Sean_C

Email

Re: Oxygen question
« Reply #1 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 9:28am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I use a clustermask @ 15 Liters per Minute and I have success at aborting the beast. Usually after about 20 minutes its gone.

You should get a different regulator and try a clustermask.  

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~tritech2/clusterx/index.html

Sean...............................
« Last Edit: Jun 30th, 2006, 9:31am by Sean_C » IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #2 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 9:43am »

on Jun 30th, 2006, 9:20am, jenrob2006 wrote:
After 14 years of this, my new doctor has put me on oxygen for the first time.  I have used it the last two nights with no relief.  I have read all of the links here and some of the posts and I know that it should be working.  My question is this... the mask that I received is supposed to be a non-rebreather mask.  But, there are two sets of holes on either side of the mask.  One is covered by a little circle of cardboard, but the other is not.  Is the mask missing something or is that the way it is supposed to be?  He has me on 8-10 for 10 minutes.  I really would like the oxygen to work.  Right now I am on 480 mg of Verapamil, a predisone taper, Imitrex injections, and a diet of avoiding everything. Embarassed  Any suggestions would be great.  Thanks.

Jennifer,

Sorry to hear the O2 isn't affording you relief. It doesn't work for everybody but too often it is dismissed too early because improper equipment, flow rates or masks are provided.

If you aren't able to get to 10-15 lpm, you probably won't get success. They tried, the first time to give me a regulator that would only go to 8 and I had to stop them quickly.

Secondly, if any of the holes in the starter mask the O2 supply people give you are open you are going to breathe a mix of air coming through those open holes and the O2. Is there a "bag" attached to your mask? If not, they've given you a rebreather which will seriously affect your success. As Sean mentioned the best option is a Clustermasx which is put together by a fellow clusterhead. You can find the website link around here(www.clustermasx.com).

Good luck

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 9:49am »

on Jun 30th, 2006, 9:28am, Sean_C wrote:
I use a clustermask @ 15 Liters per Minute and I have success at aborting the beast. Usually after about 20 minutes its gone.

You should get a different regulator and try a clustermask.  

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~tritech2/clusterx/index.html

Sean...............................

Not necessarily a new regulator - the one she has might go up to 15 lpm, she didn't say. Besides, many people get relief in the 8-12 lpm range. In the meantime, jenrob, cover up those holes that don't have the diaphragm with your thumb (you may have to cut off that little knob in the center with a utility knife) when you're breathing in. You can and should uncover them when exhaling.

Good luck. I do agree with Sean on the clustermasx. Order one now - use the above described method until it arrives.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
jenrob2006
New Board Junior
USA 

AAAHHH!  Make it stop!

burgess761  
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 9:52am »

Thanks, I just ordered one.  I didnt think there were supposed to be holes uncovered but the guy at the medical supply place had no idea what I was talking about.  Figures!
IP Logged

Half of all profits made from purchases made at http://my.tupperware.com/jengasperson will go to O.U.C.H.
Making a difference has to start with "me"
LadyLuv
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 30th, 2006, 5:06pm »

O2 works great for me, but only if I can get to it before my headache peaks... Once it peak, O2 have no effect what so ever.  

The right mask, makes a world of difference, so I glad that you ordered a Clustermax... I'm Praying that the O2 will bring you much releaf.

Peace, Blessings and PF Days

Lady Luv
IP Logged

http://i5.tinypic.com/20s7l1l.jpg [/img ]
astings
New Board Newbie
England 

Nil Taurus Excretum

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 7:16pm »

Hi Jen

I would also recommend the masx, it aborts my attacks in around 5/6 mins.

But the basic principle of O2 therapy is to get pure O2 into your system asap ( no air oxygen mix )

Hope you get some relief soon

Tom
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #7 on: Jul 7th, 2006, 9:56pm »

Sure hope the O2 works for you-doesn't for everyone.  I've found that, even with the non-rebreather and flow rate of 15 CH will return 20 minutes after I stop huffing O2.  It worked alot better for awhile.  
CHs mutate, I swear.  But, the clustermask is excellent and your best chance of success-also you might need to crank the regulator up to 15-if it doesn't go that high and your doc won't subscribe one-they can be found on ebay-bought mine for $35.
Best wishes for PFDAN!
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jul 8th, 2006, 2:30am »

I hear you Jen, I was never able to get the mask to work properly.
I took the mask off of the non-rebreather bag, and take the valve out of there also if it didnt come out when you pulled the mask off.  Then, where the bag met the mask, I just put my lips directly around that.  You have to let the bag fill up first (at the highest setting hopefully 15 lpm).  Then, breathe in from your mouth and out through your nose without ever removing your lips from the bag.

It will take just a minute to get used to, but it is a sure-fire way to get pure O2.

Maybe one of these days I will get around to getting a clustermasx.   Wink
PF wishes
BMonee
« Last Edit: Jul 8th, 2006, 2:31am by BMoneeTheMoneeMan » IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss