Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 11th, 2024, 2:20am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Red Bull vs Monster Energy Drink »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Red Bull vs Monster Energy Drink
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Red Bull vs Monster Energy Drink  (Read 3846 times)
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

Red Bull vs Monster Energy Drink
« on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:17pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi all,

I've read about the success that several have had with aborting headaches with Red Bull.   I want to try it myself    but I'm a little cost-conscious since it's somewhat pricy.   Has anyone tried Monster Energy Drink?   It seems to contain the same amount of Taurine per ounce (1000mg per 8 oz) but Monster comes in a 16 oz can and is less than half the price of Red Bull (a case of 24 Red Bull 8oz cans cost slightly more than 24 Monster Energy 16oz cans).

Also, any opinions on Sugar Free Red Bull vs Normal Red Bull?

Thanks,
Joe

P.S.  Sorry if these have been discussed before -- I didn't get any hits when I searched for Monster Energy Drink  (for that matter, I've not gotten many hits when using the forum search for anything.  Any tips on searching the forum?).
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
spidey426
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

sphlenders

Re: Red Bull vs Monster Energy Drink
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:05pm »

Hey whatever's cheaper I guess: )  As long as it has the Taurine because I guess that's the ingredient it's been narrowed down too.  How much are Taurine pills? I'm guessing it's probably cheaper that way..

Personally, I drink the big Sobe energy drinks.. they're not so bad, and 2000mg of Taurine in the big cans.

pfw from ny
  spidey
IP Logged
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:51pm »

I bought a bottle of Taurine at GNC for less than $5.
IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
floridian

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:30pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The supplement can cost as little as 6 or 7 cents per gram (1000 mg dose).  I wouldn't totally discount the caffeine and sugar (to abort, not to prevent), but the taurine alone seems to be helping some people.  

I need to split my taurine page into 2 pages - the middle is too technical for many.  
http://www.med-owl.com/clusterheadaches/tiki-index.php?page=Taurine
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:35pm by floridian » IP Logged
JoeS
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 11:35pm »

Thanks for the comments, folks.   I figured that a separate L-Taurine supplement would be much cheaper, but haven't read anecdotes on the efficacy of the supplement by itself (or mixed with caffeine) as opposed to the numerous success stories with the energy drinks  (the unknown being the part the other ingredients play).

I've been reading the med-owl site a lot.  Floridian, are you the owner of said site?    I've always thought that a wiki would be a good vessel for distributing cluster info -- thanks for putting that together if that's indeed your doing.

--Joe

P.S. I figured out what I was doing wrong on the forum search -- I was searching the clusterheads.com site via the Google interface instead of through the yabb search.  Duh!
IP Logged

Your mileage may vary. See your doctor for details. Offer void in Tennessee. Past performance is not indicative of future results. No warranty is expressed or implied. Do not taunt happy fun ball.
sandie99
New Board Hall of Famer
Finland 

Wish it, dream it, do it - inspite the pain!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 10:55am »

Hi Joe!

I'm one of those who has had success with Red Bull.

I have also tried all the other kind of energy drinks, which have the same amount of caffeine and taurine than Red Bull. And each time I've had ice cold energy drink, it has successfully aborted attack quickly.  

I can't tell about Monster, though, because it's not available in Finland.

You asked about the difference between the sugar-free RB and the regular one. In my case, there is no difference - both aborted ch quickly. I just hate the taste of the sugar - free one, so when I can choose, I take the regular one... Wink

I hope that it works for you! Smiley

Best wishes,
Sanna

IP Logged

CH happends, Live anyway! PF days to us all!

"Do what you can and let God take care of the rest. Leave your heart wide open and always wish for the best" (Sanna Hillu)

"No matter how far out your dreams are, it's possible" (Marketa Irglova)

moonhoney2
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 12:24pm »

Sean switched from Red Bull to Red Thunder, available at Aldi's for $1.99/4 pack vs $1.99/ea for the RB.  He says it works just as well.

HTH
IP Logged
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 4:32pm »

I agree the red thunder works just as well, although it's not availible in a sugar-free version if you tend to use that.
IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
Garys_Girl
New Board Veteran
USA 

Kill the Beast!

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 8:34pm »

Hubby can't stand the taste of any of the energy drinks.  He takes Taurine supplements and uses espresso to abort.

Unfortunately, over time it's become less effective (as everything has, including the 02).  He's giving the caffeine a break - he was up to 22 espressos at dinner the other night and it didn't phase him in the least.  No shakes, no feeling of any sensation from the caffeine, and didn't affect his ability to fall asleep (with the help of melatonin).

My guess is that the caffeine is what works for the immediate abort and it's the Taurine that can have a beneficial effect on the cycle over time.  Taurine, Magnesium and Calcium (and Melatonin and 5-HTP) all have some effect on the body's clock which is thought to be the seat of the CH sufferer's problem.

Laurie
IP Logged

"It's comin' like a freight train - can't you hear it?" - Gary
vermonster
New Board Newbie
USA 

From the monster !

« Reply #9 on: Jul 2nd, 2006, 2:57pm »

Thanks for all the info on taurine ! I used red bull three times, and every time, it worked !! i did a little research and learned that red bull has 1000mg of taurine per can - that's 1 gram.  Common dosage of taurine is anywhere from 1-4 grams per day.  ASAP I will be going to GNC to see what they have for taurine, and will let everyone know if I get any good results ! Thanks again for all the info !
IP Logged

"there is no strength where there is no struggle"
marlinsfan
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love this place!

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jul 2nd, 2006, 3:47pm »

Our friend Barry Coles has been documenting his Taurine trial here:

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=meds;action= display;num=1146013283

Check out the ingredients in the Sugar Free red bull. If it has aspartame, I couldn't touch it as that stuff will trigger an attack while I'm in cycle.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss