Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 10th, 2024, 4:18am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Magnet treatment »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Magnet treatment
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Magnet treatment  (Read 779 times)
phase66
New Board Newbie
USA 

Magnet treatment
« on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:47am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Saw this article and thought I'd share it.

http://www.nature.com/news/2006/060619/full/060619-9.html

While it's only mentions migraines and I'm highly skeptical of anything having to do with magnets, I know most of us are willing to try just about anything while in cycle.  Anyone heard of anything like this?

Also, I believe MRIs are basically giant electromagents.  Has getting an MRI ever had an effect on your cycle?  (I've only received a cat scan.)
IP Logged
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

Re: Magnet treatment
« Reply #1 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:06am »

I've had several MRI's, and there was no effect.
IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #2 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:03am »

see my neuralieve article in The Times (UK) post

http://www.neuralieve.com/
IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
Karla
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

One of Many and Never Alone - Join OUCH

Karlak_1313  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:09am »

I have had several MRI's and it has never effected my ch at all.  I have also tried using magnets.  You need special ones that are quit large and very expensive.  I found that it did absolutly nothing for my ch.  I wouldn't waste my time or money on it.  I hope you find something that works.
IP Logged

Karla
suffer chronic ch
ch.com groupie since 1999
Proud Mom of Chris USMC Semper Fi
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #4 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 2:26am »

go look at the website and see who is behind this research/product before you write it off as snake oil.

This product is not available until sometime in 2007 and one of the main companies involved is Johnson and Johnson. Thst sounds like there is heavy involvement by some pretty big guns in the pharmaceutical industry!

This is not just "some magnets" and the fact that some people have had MRI's means nothing.

Sorry Karla but just read the article before making comments like "I wouldn't waste my time or money on it"

There is nothing to waste money on (yet?). And it will probably be just as expensive as Triptans if it works  Huh

John
IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 12:27pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

I read the article and

Quote:
"I wouldn't waste my time or money on it"  

IP Logged
vig
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

CHit Happens

alongivsiuolluap
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 28th, 2006, 12:30pm »

I've watCHed many people waste their valuable money on magnets.

skip it.

my $.02
IP Logged

never, Never, NEVER quit. -Winston Churchill
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #7 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 3:20am »

For those shooting from the hip in their reponses that have not bothered to research the info on http://www.neuralieve.com
here are some excerpts from the website.

You will see that Dr Goadsby is one of the advisors to this research team - Does that make you sit up and take notice!

This does not look like "wearing some magnets" shit to me, it looks like very serious research which may just benefit CH'ers in the future (and as I stated before may cost us just as much for the treatments, but it may be safer). This may turn out to be a better alternative to Triptans for some. I for one hope something good comes from this research.

"The mainstay of current migraine management is acute drug therapy, in particular the class of agents known as triptans. These drugs have been a significant step forward in the treatment of migraine, yet triptans are ineffective in as many as 40 percent of patients. In addition, the drugs may pose serious risk to some patients..2 Thus, there is a need for safer and more effective therapeutic alternatives.

Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (TMS) has the potential to meet this need. TMS is the first non-drug, non-behavioral therapy for the treatment of migraine. It is also the first treatment that addresses the underlying mechanism now widely accepted as the basis of migraine, namely, spreading waves of abnormal neuronal activity in the brain known as cortical spreading depression. By disrupting this spread, TMS has the potential to preempt headache altogether, reduce the duration or severity of the migraine episode, and perhaps reduce the frequency of migraine attacks.

TMS has an established record of safety in other uses. Because TMS has been used for decades as a means to study the brain, the body of data includes tens of thousands of patients. This experience has demonstrated that TMS, delivered as individual pulses, is exceedingly safe. In fact, the safety of so-called single-pulse TMS is accepted by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) and National Institute of Neurologic Disease and Stroke (NINDS)..1.2.

In discussing single-pulse TMS, it is important to distinguish it from two other kinds of magnetic therapy. The first is repetitive TMS, in which a very large number of pulses is administered in rapid succession. This approach has been used to treat a variety of neuropsychiatric disorders but may also induce seizure, making it unsuitable for use in a broad segment of the population. The second distinction is with passive magnetic “therapy,” in which magnets are worn in contact with the skin. Although such magnets are popular in the alternative medicine community, there is no validated clinical evidence to support their effectiveness in any condition."

here is a list of the very heavyweight investors in this technology development:

Domain Partners
http://www.domainvc.com  

InterWest Partners
http://www.interwest.com  

Johnson and Johnson Development Corporation
http://www.jjdevcorp.com  

MedVenture Associates
http://www.medven.com  

New Enterprise Associates  
http://www.nea.com

Technology Partners
http://www.technologypartners.com

Advisors:
Neuralieve has assembled a medical advisory board that includes major figures in the field of headache medicine. Richard B. Lipton, MD, Professor and Vice-Chairman of Neurology at the Albert Einstein College of Medicine, and Director of the Montefiore Headache Center , serves as MAB chairman. Dr. Lipton is one of the nation's leading experts on headache medicine and research, and is a past president of the American Headache Society.

Chairman  

Richard B. Lipton, MD
Professor and Vice-Chairman,
Department of Neurology
Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Bronx, NY

Members (Cool  

Sheena K. Aurora, MD
Co-Director
Swedish Headache Center
Seattle, WA

David W. Dodick, MD
Professor of Neurology
Mayo Clinic College of Medicine
Department of Neurology
Phoenix, AZ

Merle L. Diamond, MD
Associate Director
Diamond Headache Clinic
Chicago, IL  

Seymour Diamond, MD
Director
Diamond Headache Clinic, LTD
Chicago, IL

Peter J. Goadsby, MD
Director
Institute of Neurology
Headache Group
London, England

Yousef Mohammad, MD, MSc
Assistant Professor of Neurology
Ohio State University Medical Center
Columbus, OH

Joel R. Saper, MD
Director/Founder
Michigan Head Pain & Neurology Institute
Ann Arbor, MI

Stephen D. Silberstein, MD
Director
Jefferson Headache Center
Philadelphia, PA  

IP Logged

chewy

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 7:40am »

The product.  Good luck with that.

Clinical research.

Quote:
The page cannot be found
« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2006, 7:43am by chewy » IP Logged
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 8:21am »

Can I just add a point of clarification.
This is being researched for MIGRAINE and NOT CH.

John whilst I have read about this on several different news stories and I know it to be serious research I haven't once seen any connection between this and CH. Whilst I know the two conditions have many similarities and many common treatments they are not the same. Please do not give people false hope that it might one day be a future treatment for CH when no documentation anywhere exists to support this conclusion.
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

chewy

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 8:30am »

Quote:
Please do not give people false hope that it might one day be a future treatment for CH when no documentation anywhere exists to support this conclusion.  

And there you have it.
IP Logged
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #11 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 10:11am »

Many, many treatments for CH, including what I personally regard as the most effective - the Triptans and Imitrex in particular - were developed for Migraines.

This may just be the same. And to make it clear this is a product STILL IN DEVELOPMENT. So I see no reason to not hold out hope at this stage - false or not.  

End of story for me thanks  Cool
IP Logged

Kevin_M
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

withered branches grow green again.

« Reply #12 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 10:42am »

This article from the Columbus Dispatch in Ohio, where OSU is, states:

(unsurprisingly, but I don't know how significant the figures are.)

In the study, 69 percent of those tested reported feeling mild pain or no pain after using the device.  

That's compared to 40 percent of the placebo group, said Dr. Yousef Mohammad, an OSU neurologist who directed the study.  The research, funded by Neuralieve, the device's manufacturer, will be presented today at the annual American Headache Society meeting in Los Angeles.  

---/ /---
The device interrupts the aura, Mohammad said, and the results are encouraging.  

Compared to 26 percent of the placebo group, 42 percent of patients graded their headache responses as "very good" or "excellent" after treatment.  
---/ /---
(also, though)

A subsequent study is supposed to start within two months and will include 200 patients at nine research centers across the country.  

I'd wait for a non-manufacturer study if I was a migrainer, but I'm not.

on Jun 29th, 2006, 3:20am, jmorgan52 wrote:
This does not look like "wearing some magnets" shit to me, it looks like very serious research which may just benefit CH'ers in the future

Otherwise, it might seem like I was shooting from the hip.  

« Last Edit: Jun 29th, 2006, 11:22am by Kevin_M » IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #13 on: Jun 29th, 2006, 11:18am »

on Jun 29th, 2006, 10:42am, Kevin_M wrote:
This article from the Columbus Dispatch in Ohio, where OSU is, states:

(unsurprisingly, but I don't know how significant the figures are.)

In the study, 69 percent of those tested reported feeling mild pain or no pain after using the device.  

That's compared to 40 percent of the placebo group, said Dr. Yousef Mohammad, an OSU neurologist who directed the study.  The research, funded by Neuralieve, the device's manufacturer, will be presented today at the annual American Headache Society meeting in Los Angeles.  

---/ /---
The device interrupts the aura, Mohammad said, and the results are encouraging.  

Compared to 26 percent of the placebo group, 42 percent of patients graded their headache responses as "very good" or "excellent" after treatment.  
---/ /---
(also, though)

A subsequent study is supposed to start within two months and will include 200 patients at nine research centers across the country.  

If I was a migrainer, I'd wait for a non-manufacturer funded study, but I'm not.

they left out the words "after 2 hours" from that story.

scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
-----------------------------------------------------
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss