Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 6:13pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Has anyone tried acupuncture? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Has anyone tried acupuncture?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Has anyone tried acupuncture?  (Read 688 times)
Melvyn
New Board Newbie
England 

Email

Has anyone tried acupuncture?
« on: Jun 19th, 2006, 8:39pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Some friends say that they have heard good reports about acupuncture. I've just started Melatonin and will keep that up for a couple of weeks to see how it goes.

Getting to the stage where I'm starting to think that nothing will ever cure it and maybe it's best to just accept it. Zomig tabs usually stop the attacks - but you know how it just gets to you sometimes - buggers up my sunny disposition and rules my life. Well that's my self pity and rant session over.

regards,

Melvyn
IP Logged

Melvyn
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

Re: Has anyone tried acupuncture?
« Reply #1 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 10:32am »

There are several posts about accupuncture over the past several years if you do a search. A few people said they had some luck with it, but many of them it didn't work the next cycle, so I suspect that they were at the end of their cycle anyway. Most people have no luck at all.

Katy
IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 20th, 2006, 11:32am »

Helped relieve tension in my neck but did nothing for the clusters
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Steve_Gn
New Board Newbie
USA 

grifden  
Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:50am »

I have had very good luck with this treatment.
It took about 3 years worth of trying, but my therapist has finally hit the right combination.
After a visit the CH's will subside for about 3 weeks and then I go back for another round.
If you go in, there is a pressure point for the thalamus on the left ear.
IP Logged

Someday my tomb stone will read...

Finally
Headache Free!

chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 9:03am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Worthless for CH.
IP Logged
seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #5 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 10:03am »

Right up there with "chiropractic" IMHO. There are so many other options to help manage cluster that wasting time and money on Acupuncture is simply that, wasting effort and emotion.

Do you have O2? If not, get it. The time spent arranging to get O2 will be a fraction of that for repeat acupuncture treatments. And you'll find that 60-70% of people on this board will be able to say that O2 works to knock out a CH as an abortive.

Also, re: the "cure" word. Without wanting to appear gloomy or fatalistic, I accept that a cure is not likely imminent for Cluster and that time spent looking for tools to fight CH -- and to manage CH is time well spent. And much better for my own mental health than being disappointed that something "works" or doesn't work as a "cure". What works today may well be the end of a cycle anyway. so, you try it again and it doesn't, then you move on to the next thing knowing that it might work. It's not an elegant solution but one I personally can live with a lot better.

Scott
IP Logged

-----------------------------------------------------
seasonal boomer
chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 8:57pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Quote:
Right up there with "chiropractic" IMHO. There are so many other options to help manage cluster that wasting time and money on Acupuncture is simply that, wasting effort and emotion.  

Do you have O2? If not, get it. The time spent arranging to get O2 will be a fraction of that for repeat acupuncture treatments. And you'll find that 60-70% of people on this board will be able to say that O2 works to knock out a CH as an abortive

Right on the money!
IP Logged
wildhaus
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Switzerland 

« Reply #7 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 12:56am »

Acupuncture will not take the CH away! Or for that meter the pain! I don’t think there is any thing
Yet that will take it (CH) away, and if some one has – do let me Know!  There are of curse meds that help us manage better the cycles, or abort the pain during an attack (for me O2 will do, or Zomig nasal).
And still (chewy, pls lets not start and use mud!  Grin ) In cental Europe in some Pain clinics including the one I use
Acupuncture is used in combination with meds. (Preventives) like stalatum Blockade or GLOA,
As well as other, and it is used as (Acupuncture)a supplement, in order to manage better the pain.
And all the effects that CH carries with! From my experience, and I went with the combination of
Stelatum / GLOA (Bupivakain / Buprenprphin) and acupuncture with a very good results! As well
As using help in managing the said effects….  And all in all it helps me go through a cycle and mange it better then I did during the first cycles!

Michael
IP Logged

LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

OUCH-US - Less "ME" and more "WE"

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 24th, 2006, 5:33am »

Melvyn are you a member of OUCH UK?
Its a UK site which has info on all treatments available in the UK and how to get them as well as a helpline and a support and members board.
We need to get you sorted out young man!
Zomig tablets.... NO!
Tablets don't work fast enough for ch. by the time they kick in your hit is probably over anyway.
Zomig is available as a nasal spray which is much much faster. You can also get Imigran (referred to as Imitrex on this site) in an auto injector form which is even quicker but doesn't have such a long half life as zomig.
I can't remember, I know you are trying melatonin but I don't know if you are episodic or chronic. How long do your cycles last and how long do your hits last and how many do you get a day.. lets go back to basics and get you sorted so you can be a happy bunny again!  Grin
By the way, my view on acupuncture is if you really want to put up with a bunch of pri*** just get yourself down to Sainsbury's on a Saturday!
IP Logged

The arsehole I'm divorcing needs to get a life and stop stalking mine

Melvyn
New Board Newbie
England 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 25th, 2006, 3:39pm »

Hi,

I'm episodic - Have been experiencing episodes every three years and this is my third. The last two lasted for about three months.

This is the first time that I've tried Imitrex and it works very quickly but I do find that the next hit is more intense usually a 9/10 so I had to take the Imitrex again.

With no meds I could get up to 6 attacks a day - including nightime. Within 4 or 5 days of starting the melatonin I've started to get my life back - I've started singing in the mornings again - neighbours may not be happy as my singing voice is hardly noteworthy but I am so happy.

It's funny how life seems so good and all the other problems so minor when the beast is under control.
IP Logged

Melvyn
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 25th, 2006, 4:35pm »

Imigranis very quick at bringing the beast to heel but like you found, it can come back with a vengeance!
Have you ever tried O2? It works in the same way but is much easier on the old circulatory system - you need to breathe it at 15 litres per minute through a non rebreather mask but there are many thousands of us who swear by it.
IP Logged

Melvyn
New Board Newbie
England 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 5:35am »

Haven't tried O2 - but maybe that's the next port of call if the melatonin stops working or doesn't do the trick next episode. The biggest problem with O2 is portability.

I work mainly from home writing and researching training courses but I also spend a reasonable amount of time travelling across the UK delivering said training courses.

I can see me with my laptop, screen, flip chart  and O2 equipment. I suppose it is difficult to address people with the O2 mask on and they tend to drift off if the lecturer stops talking - come to think of it they drift off when I'm talking so don't suppose it would make much difference!!
IP Logged

Melvyn
LeLimey
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Great_Britain 

lelimey  
WWW Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 7:08am »

on Jun 26th, 2006, 5:35am, Melvyn wrote:
...come to think of it they drift off when I'm talking so don't suppose it would make much difference!!

I'm saying nothing!  Lips Sealed See?! Myself restraint at times amazes everyone and especially me  Roll Eyes
O2 is incredibly portable you'll be pleased to know, I have small cylinders, BOC call them CD cylinders and Air Products call them Freedom 400's. They are about 6 inches in diameter and about 18" to 2ft tall and they can be supplied with carry cases, holdall like bags. Definitely worth considering if portability has been a drawback. I swear by the stuff (and at it at times) For me, it has quite literally been a lifesaver.
IP Logged

seasonalboomer
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I think hard enough maybe it'll go away.....

« Reply #13 on: Jun 26th, 2006, 8:00am »

Melvyn,

Regarding the O2... It is best to not look at each "weapon" as the all or nothing answer, but instead as a portion of the arsenal. You can, of course as Helen suggests, get the portable O2 tanks that are fairly easy to carry with you, but if that doesn't work for you look at O2 as part of your overall answer.

I make it a math game. I'm lucky as most of my hits come at night, at home. Of which O2 has about an 80% success rate for me. That leaves 1 of 5 that I use the Triptans for. In your case, lets say you get only 50% at home and you can get a success rate on this level -- that leaves far fewer times where your nailing yourself with the Triptan (Zomig, Imitrex....) to get through. Many of us work in a little Red Bull (Taurine Energy Drink) for the occasional relief from a hit or other various remedies for certain situations and you can then say you've hitting them in a lot of different ways.

O2 is a savior to many -- think about how you might work it into your situations.

Scott
IP Logged

seasonal boomer
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss