Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 9th, 2024, 12:20pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « WTF »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   WTF
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: WTF  (Read 644 times)
maffumatt

Email

WTF
« on: Jun 12th, 2006, 7:44pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Our company changed insurance companies from Starmark to Assurant Health, my drug coverage for Trex went from a box of five .5ML vials with a copay of 25 dollars a month to get this 1ML a month at 45 dollars copay per vial. How and the hell can they do this? Can they legaly limit me like this? Can anyone help me fight this, anyone know any resources that I can use ? I am getting 5 hits a day and this just isn't going to go far enough. I need help in a bad way. This is the first time that I have used the perscription benifits, any advice on how to talk to these jerks?
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006, 7:47pm by Mattchew » IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Re: WTF
« Reply #1 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:11pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I don't have good news, only sympathy because I go through the same with my Relpax.  At $32. per pill and my insurance only covering 6 a month, things can get very dicey when i am in cycle.  I have petitioned them and had my coverage extended to 12 a month, but that took almost a year of constantly working the system.  

The only way I have to help myself, is to fill my prescription year round.  Then when my cycle starts I have a small stockpile to draw from.

regrets,
« Last Edit: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:13pm by Richr8 » IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 8:15pm »

Matt,  I'm not sure if this will help but check out this link.

http://headaches.about.com/cs/advocacy/a/trip_limits.htm

Honest to God, I feel your frustration and anger.

Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 9:04pm »

Matt,

I'm like some in that I stockpile Trex between cycles.  However, some insurance companies will respond if your doctor faxes them a letter stating VERY CLEARLY that your medical condition requires more of this medication.

It could be worth a try?

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
BMoneeTheMoneeMan
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

In remembrance of KingCazman. RIP

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 9:25pm »

Hey Matt, I am not exacly an expert, and I think it depends on what state you are in.
Your doc should do the fighting with you.  The doc needs to inform the ins company that you need this medication, without it your quality of life is right down the shitter.  
If a doc says you need it, I cant see how those fuckers can deny you.
Keep us posted.
B$
IP Logged

"Fool me once, shame on, shame on you. Fool - can't get fooled again"

Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half the population is stupider than that.

D_Robinson
New Board Newbie
USA 

Shifter Karts the ulimate rush

« Reply #5 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 10:13pm »

Matt,

My insurance pays 1/2 of 9 injections/pills/nasal sprays a month period end of story.  I was taking 2 zomig a day and well spent a bunch of money between the topamax and the zomig, around 1700 bucks.  the insurance company is not legall limiting you they are just saying they will only pay for this amount.  Personally it was the best 1700 bucks I have ever spent since it got me thru my cycle, and even helped me stop smoking.

Also my doctor tried to explain to Blue Cross that the limit of 9 a month was not vaiable.  She spent 3 hours on the phone with these people, then called me told me to stop in that day and gave me enough samples to finish my cycle since it was not worth her time to argue with the insurance company.  My doc has instructed me to stock up and gave me a scrip that is long enough that I can stock up on zomig.  I would recommend doing that if you are episidic.

I wouild try O2 myself and well am next cycle, whenever it may be, hopefully never.

David
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 12th, 2006, 10:59pm »

on Jun 12th, 2006, 8:15pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

Matt,  I'm not sure if this will help but check out this link.

http://headaches.about.com/cs/advocacy/a/trip_limits.htm

Honest to God, I feel your frustration and anger.

Linda

It sure did help, I think I'll be on the fphone for awhile with these SOBs.  
Thanks Linda
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 1:05pm »

I followed the advice provided and when the woman started quoteing non existing Fed Regs I asked for her name first and last. She replied that she did not give that out. I told her that if I was denying someone acess to their medications due to non existing federal regulations I wouldn't want to give my name out either. After speaking to her supervisor, then her supervisors supervisor (and I did get their full names by the way) they came to the conclusion that a mistake had been made and that my policy covered 10 vials in a 25 day period. To those that offered to help me, THANK YOU but being armed with the information provided by about.com solved my problem.
IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 1:14pm »

Hallelujah and way-ta-go!!!!!!!!

That is great news.   Linda
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 4:44pm »

That is fantastic maffumatt!

I am wondering... I haven't used much trex as it doesn't work for me... does the manufacturer have some kind of drug discount program for those who can't afford the med or whose insurance doesn't allow it?  Has anyone tried that?

I'm just wondering for those who may not have as much luck as their insurance company as you. As someone who works for an insurance company, I have seen where a mediator from a drug company sometimes gets things approved. I never saw that for CH specifically, but it may be possible.
IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #10 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 6:29pm »

I went after work and picked up my perscriptions and I was surprised to learn that a box of 5 vials is a 10 day supply, I am allowed 15 vials a month now. I wouldn't have been able to get it done without the advice I recieved here at CH.com, this is why I love this place. That artical that Linda posted should have a sticky on it and be posted here for everyone to  read. I followed her directions to a tee and recieved the medications I need. How about it DJ ????????
IP Logged
FramCire
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Life like a froward child must be humored a little

Email

« Reply #11 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 11:06pm »

For those who are looking for trex injects and NEED more than they can get with insurance.  Talk to your doctor.  Some are able to get samples (believe it or not).  

If you have a doctor who is caring and has read up on CH, they might be willing to call the drug rep and see what can be done.  

Just a little friendly advise.

I mostly use Maxalt MLT (I wait the extra 10 inutes for it to work rather than injecting myself).  Maxalt MLT has samples so also call your nuero or PCP for information.
IP Logged

You've overstayed your welcome since the day we met but it doesn't seem to matter to you. No medications are your master, nothing makes you fret, it's a helpless feeling having nothing I can do
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #12 on: Jun 13th, 2006, 11:43pm »

Just a note about Maxalt MLT: Both types of Maxalt, the pill and the dissolvable tablet (MLT), work in about the same time because they are both absorbed in the gut. I find the MLT version more convenient, however, because you can take it anywhere, anytime, without water. Especially handy in the car or the nightstand.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
lashultz
New Board Veteran
USA 

« Reply #13 on: Jun 14th, 2006, 3:58pm »

Stock up in the off season if you can.

lashultz
IP Logged
Steve_Gn
New Board Newbie
USA 

grifden  
Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:59am »

Consider your self lucky.
I have no insurance and am paying  $150 a box.
The last round cost me about $4000
I wrote to the Imitrex company and they sent me 4, $10 off coupons that had to be used separately......WOW, go figure.
IP Logged

Someday my tomb stone will read...

Finally
Headache Free!

moonhoney2
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #15 on: Jun 22nd, 2006, 11:23am »

That's wonderful that you were able to get more!
IP Logged
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #16 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 9:00am »

on Jun 22nd, 2006, 7:59am, Steve_Gn wrote:
Consider your self lucky.
I have no insurance and am paying  $150 a box.
The last round cost me about $4000
I wrote to the Imitrex company and they sent me 4, $10 off coupons that had to be used separately......WOW, go figure.

I do feel luckey. I have been without Ins. before myself. And I know what your talking about GSK too. If you were paying $150 a box, that isn't to bad really. At the Walgreens here they charged $495  for a box of 5 and $ 220 for the statdose pen. What is funny about the price is that I can go 2 miles down the road to the Parsons Family Pham, and get the box of 5 for $311. Why the big price difference.
IP Logged
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #17 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 10:32am »

GSK and other pharmaceutical companies have patients assistance programs.  Go to [url][/url]www.needymeds.com to find out if your meds are covered and if you qualify.  Some have very liberal income guidelines, while others won't tell you what they are.  Also, this can take a good deal of work on the part of your doctor.  But, if you qualify, meds are free.
Samples and stockpiling are about the only other optios.
PFDAN,
Kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
maffumatt

Email

« Reply #18 on: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:27pm »

Something else to help get the amout of Trex needed from your insurance company. When your Dr writes your script for Imitrex have him make it a PNR for the refills. The pharmacist I had helping me told me that it is harder for them to deny a PNR perscription and makes it easier to override.
« Last Edit: Jun 23rd, 2006, 6:34pm by Mattchew » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss