Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 6th, 2024, 6:48pm

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « First Successful Medicine Cocktail »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   First Successful Medicine Cocktail
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: First Successful Medicine Cocktail  (Read 382 times)
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

First Successful Medicine Cocktail
« on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 8:32am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I started a headache cycle back around the second week in April.  Ramped up pretty quickly (in about 3-4 days) to 6-9 headaches a day.  Unusual for me, as I usually start out very slowly, and like a bell curve, kind or ramp up in frequency and pain, peaking, then ramping back down.  Was a bit surprised at this cycle.  In any case, I started taking 120mg of Verapamil in the morning, and 10mg of Amitriptyline plus 9mg Melatonin at night.  I was to do this for 2 weeks, then double the Verapamil and Amitriptylin.  I doubled the Verapamil, but not the Amitriptylin as it, plus the Melatonin, was making me stupid in the morning.  In any case, I started taking all of this stuff around the end of April, so was probably feeling the full effects of it by the second week in May.  Since the second week in May, I've had a total of 5 headaches.  Usually getting the week off, and fielding a couple of low pain headaches on the weekend.  Nothing 2mg of Imitrex can't stop dead.  This is the first time I can remember (headaches since 16, now 33) that I've ever had any success with any medication.  I thought I might just be coming out of my cycle, but I've never had a 6 week one.  In fact, my last cycle was 6 monthes.  Thought I'd share.  Perhaps it will help someone.
Trent

PS - Other things I'm doing concurrently are downing a monster cup of tea first thing when I get to work (9AM).  Probably in the neighborhood of 32oz. of water with two tea bags.  Then drinking a good amount of water throughout the rest of the day.  Not to the point where I live in the restroom, but a good amount.  Same tea mug, probably filled 3-4 times with water.  I was hydrating pretty heavily before I started all the medication, and didn't see too much improvement, so I don't know what part the water is playing.  Don't care really.  I'm not changing anything I'm doing.
IP Logged
pattik
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

northcolor4  

Re: First Successful Medicine Cocktail
« Reply #1 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 10:55am »

Thanks for writing down your formula for us.  Since we are all different, the more information to try, the better.  It sounds like this is really working for you if your cycle has been shortened that much.
IP Logged

The voyage of discovery is not about seeking new landscapes, it's about having new eyes--Marcel Proust
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 2:40pm »

pattik,
It seems to have done something, that's for sure.  I've tried both Verapamil and Amitriptylin, just not at the same time.  The craps of it is, that it probably won't work the next time.  At least I'm getting relief now though.  That's all that matters.  Hopefully this mixture will help someone else.
talbers
IP Logged
Guiseppi
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 5:54pm »

It's so danged exciting to finally stumble onto the cocktail that works! Personally I get a feeling of power over the beast. He still stalks me, but I'm no longer running away defenseless!! Congratulations, I couldn't be happier for you.

Guiseppi
IP Logged

Why are all sensors, seeking intelligent life, pointed AWAY from earth?
chewy

Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 9:05am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

You may find that another small bump on the verapamil will bring additional relief.

Add a predinisone taper and you may break the cycle entirely.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 11:20am »

If you are getting relief from 240mg verap and 10mg elavil, you're one lucky dude.  Those are both very low doses!

I've been on 480mg verap & 50mg elavil with no luck.

Hope it keeps on helping you.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
talbers
New Board Newbie
USA 

Doh!!!

Email

« Reply #6 on: Jun 4th, 2006, 8:56pm »

Low doses indeed.  My blood pressure is low as it is.  Fingers tingle a bit with the 240mg.  Thanks for all the positive feedback.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss