Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 7th, 2024, 2:25am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Prostate »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Prostate
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Prostate  (Read 726 times)
JimLaff
New Board Junior
USA 

OH CRAP!!!!!

pennjim123  

Prostate
« on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:10am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hello All - I am a long time member and huge fan of this site but do not post too much. I am a 35yo male and have had clusters for about 12 years. I got the bad news on Sunday that I also have prostate cancer. I have been told that I am one of the youngest people that they have seen with this. My question is this; has anyone experenced prostate problems wheather it be an enlarged prostate or prostate cancer? My doctors are trying to find out if there is a relationship with all of the "JUNK" that I have put in my body and the cancer, or if there is a relationship between the prostate and CH. My nuero is also aware of this and has an interest. The prognosis is that I will have to have my prostate removed and my nuero wants me to track and changes in my cycles after this happens. I will keep all informed. I am also going to try to get to the convention barring any other problems. If anyone has any imput I would appreciate it. Thanks.
IP Logged

Where do I take this pain of mine
I run but it stays right my side
So tear me open, pour me out
There's things inside that scream and shout
And the pain still hates me
So hold me, until it sleeps
Redd
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

Re: Prostate
« Reply #1 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:21am »

Being a woman with CH and not having a prostate (at least that I am aware of)  I doubt that there is any connection whatsoever between the two.

That said, I'm terribly sorry to read of the cancer, and do hope that your treatment proves successful.  
Keep us posted on the progress.

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:21am by Redd » IP Logged

I saw an act of faith today. A man was on his knees, not in a pew in a Church, but in a garden planting seeds. ~~Unknown
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #2 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:23am »

Sorry brother and wish you the best of luck.
I have never experienced anything other than epididymitis though I was really scared and thought the worst before I found out what was wrong.
I am 33 and I must thank you for the reminder to go to the urologist. It's time.

Good luck!

Eric
IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:29am »

55 y/o
My doc says on a scale of 1 to 5, my prostate is a 3+.  I don't piss like a race horse anymore but no other problems.
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
JimLaff
New Board Junior
USA 

OH CRAP!!!!!

pennjim123  

« Reply #4 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 11:48am »

Thank you so far for the responces. I do not believe that there is a relationship between the two but you never know till you ask.
IP Logged

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #5 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 1:52pm »

My dad was successfully treated for prostate cancer at the age of 66 - now I have an annual PSA test.

My doc said something pretty profound about it. If all men lived long enough and went untreated, almost all of us would eventually die of prostate cancer. But in a lot of men, it can be 20+ years from onset until it's detected. That's why they don't treat men in their 80's and beyond - they're gonna die of something else first. He also said more men die with it than die of it.

It's also one of the slowest and most predictable forms of cancer there is, and thus has one of the higher cure rates (at least the kind with which I'm familiar). Therefore, go forth with your treatment, and know that you have an excellent chance of being cured and leading a relatively normal, long life. Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

And I'd bet a couple of paychecks on the fact that there's no link whatsoever between CH and prostate cancer.
« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2006, 1:56pm by Brew » IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
JimLaff
New Board Junior
USA 

OH CRAP!!!!!

pennjim123  

« Reply #6 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 3:22pm »

Thanks Brew. I would probably bet a couple of pay checks also.
IP Logged

floridian

Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 2nd, 2006, 6:06pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

The only possible link - in a small number of people - is that having cancer can cause immune activation, which may be a part of CH.  Immune hormones like IL-1 and IL-6 are elevated in CH, and elevated in many types of cancer (and in other inflammatory diseases).  And it could be the cart before the horse - years of inflammation in the blood and low antioxidants are a risk factor for cancers.  But prostate cancer per se isn't linked to clusters.  

Lycopene. Get the surgery, and add tomatos to your diet.  

« Last Edit: Jun 2nd, 2006, 6:15pm by floridian » IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #8 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 4:17am »

IMHO there is no connection between prostate cancer and cluster headaches.

Quote:
my nuero wants me to track and changes in my cycles after this happens

There may be changes. For better or for worse, can’t say. There have been many people here that have said their clusters were triggered or stopped or went from episodic to chronic or vice-versa after a surgery procedure. Maybe the shock of the surgery or the drugs administered during the surgery….. Hell. I don’t know.
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Bob_Johnson
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Jun 3rd, 2006, 8:28am »

I had surgery for PCa at 59. Have never seen any vague hint, much less data, suggesting the link you are asking about. While there is still much research going on about causes, the only factor which keeps reappearing (although not conclusively) is a high fat diet and increased risk.

Unless the doc has given you strong advice about having treatment at once (if your biopsy shows a Gleason 8 or higher [doc can tell you in case you have not been told]), I'd advise doing some homework about your options. The range of treatments has increased markedly since I had to make my decision. It's a burden for patients today to sort through their options--but it's critical, especially at your age. Your age makes this decision the more critical since you want to be thinking in terms of a possible life expectancy of 80+ years.  

This site will be an entry point for web sites on prostate cancer:  http://www.acor.org/

If you need some help identifying sources, send me a private message.

« Last Edit: Jun 3rd, 2006, 8:34am by Bob_Johnson » IP Logged

Bob Johnson
JimLaff
New Board Junior
USA 

OH CRAP!!!!!

pennjim123  

« Reply #10 on: Jun 5th, 2006, 3:02pm »

Thank you to all that have responded and to all that took a peek. I appreciate all of your responces and concerns. With any luck I will have the oppourtunity to meet some of you at the convention in WI. Thank you again and I am looking forward to July!!!
IP Logged

Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss