Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 6th, 2024, 8:39am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Chronic sufferers kip before/after Verap »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Chronic sufferers kip before/after Verap
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Chronic sufferers kip before/after Verap  (Read 562 times)
soni
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Chronic sufferers kip before/after Verap
« on: May 31st, 2006, 9:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Im just wondering what the effect of preventative medication has on the intensity and frequency of CH before ever finding out about verapamil compared to life after starting the med.  Some examples of cycles etc would help me understand what exactly they mean by preventative.thanks
« Last Edit: May 31st, 2006, 9:17pm by soni » IP Logged
Geewilly
New Board Newbie
USA 

Re: Chronic sufferers kip before/after Verap
« Reply #1 on: May 31st, 2006, 10:40pm »

Your topic feels like bait.... as being Chronic there is no prevent.  Now after saying that I will say that I am not chronic so I could never speak as one.
If this topic has come up due to the post under superhawks thread on Verap then I would say keep it there.  That would help keep conversations in context and not a new thread on it.
IP Logged
mynm156
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

hope life isn't a big joke, because I don't get it

« Reply #2 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 12:02am »

Without Verap.  My head goes into a spasm.  My attacks are  10 plus per day and mid level KIPS.  With Verap.  I have less attacks but they are very intense KIPS!  I would not even thnk about going without it.  There is almost No relief if I do not take it.

Good Vibes

MYNM156
IP Logged

"Half of the modern drugs could well be thrown out of the window, except that the birds might eat them."
I Cant Dance
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Junior
USA 

Kicking "Fat Bastard" to the curb!

« Reply #3 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 12:47am »

Has had zero effect for me.
IP Logged

"I can endure more pain than anyone you've ever met. That's why I can beat anyone I've ever met."
-Steve Prefontaine, "Without Limits"----Yeah Right! "I got yer pain right hiya."
Jasmyn
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Mozambique 

Each day will be a new trick in life's journey

JazzdeBeer+de+Beer  
Email

« Reply #4 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 2:58am »

At this stage I cannot go without my high dosage Verap when in cycle.  When I'm not on it, I get hit too frequently with very little free time in between.  With it, I will get less frequent hits but still very intense hits and it does seem to make my cycle longer.

I know I cannot have my bread buttered on both sides but one buttered side suites me just fine when it comes to CH.
IP Logged

Jazz Wink

Madness is proclaimed by society’s inability to accept its own infallibility
E-Double
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Are we ourselves?

Edoubleitk   Edoubleitk1
Email

« Reply #5 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 6:39am »

To be honest it is hard for me to tell.
This current cycle which has been over 2 years is also the first time that I have used any meds.

Things were heywire for many months and it did not seem to help, however I stayed on them.

In April 05 I changed from extended release verapamil to standard/ immediate and my attacks stablized.
I still had attacks.

I do not know if the meds helped or not but I do know that I learned to cope better.

As of March 06 I am med free and though I still have attacks, it is much easier for me to deal with.

I can not say that I will not try meds again.
For example, I hadn't used an abortive medication such as imitrex since October and just used my Oxygen.
Yesterday I didn't have a choice, my spare tank at the office didn't have enough and I was in the middle of an important meeting..........I gave myself a jab because I did not have time to spare.
Inject........back to relatively no pain within a few moments.

I do not advocate for meds or not.

I advocate for you to try whatever you can to find relief and will always try to provide what the research suggests will hep you.

Eric
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2006, 6:40am by E-Double » IP Logged

I can't believe that I have to bang my
Head against this wall again
But the blows they have just a little more
Space in-between them
Gonna take a breath and try again.
kcopelin
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

good grief

« Reply #6 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 12:16pm »

Hmm, less frequent hits, from daily Kip 8s and 9s to highest Kip 7 now.  But...not positive it is the verap-I'm on extended release and really wonder if I should get that changed.  Also, I'm now chronic and I wonder if the verap contributed to that-extended the cycle.   Looks like it might have that effect on some.
Who knows?
PFDAN  
kathy
IP Logged

Words count, chose carefully.
Katherinecm
New Board Old Timer
USA 

katycatcm   katycatcm
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 1:30pm »

on Jun 1st, 2006, 12:16pm, kcopelin wrote:
Also, I'm now chronic and I wonder if the verap contributed to that-extended the cycle.   Looks like it might have that effect on some.
Who knows?
PFDAN  
kathy

I think it caused me to go Chronic too. It had no effect on CH.
IP Logged

http://www.squidoo.com/clusterheadaches/

"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings that have a human experience." Teilhard de Chardin

"It is not death or pain that is to be dreaded, but the fear of pain or death." Epictetus
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #8 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 1:36pm »

I wondered that myself.  Back when I used Verapamil, it was paired up with Fiorinal, and the combination had me having back to back hits, very intense, until I stopped the verapamil.

I don't think it caused me to go chronic, but I felt a lot better after I stopped taking it.

Charlotte
« Last Edit: Jun 1st, 2006, 1:47pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss