Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Oct 7th, 2024, 6:29am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « imitrex tablet form ok? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   imitrex tablet form ok?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: imitrex tablet form ok?  (Read 498 times)
krtman
New Board Newbie
USA 

imitrex tablet form ok?
« on: May 17th, 2006, 8:36pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Probably been asked before, but I was prescribed Imitrex tabs rather than injection, and wondered if people have found them effective, considering the quick onset of CHs and the digestion time needed for the tabs.  Should I ask for a change?  I have tried them twice in this cycle and the first time it seemed to work in time, but the second time it seemed like about 45 min. before I got any relief.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

Re: imitrex tablet form ok?
« Reply #1 on: May 17th, 2006, 8:46pm »

The tabs take much longer than the injects, if you wake up with a Kip 10 you are screwed with the tabs.....with the injects you can kill it in ten minutes or less.

Having taken Terx injects for years myself I found that they caused rebounds bad, I switched to Zomig nasal spray, works just as fast as the Trex injects without any rebounds.......and, the half life is five times longer.

This is just my experiance (30 years chronic)
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Kris_in_SJ
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

There's no place like home.

Email

« Reply #2 on: May 17th, 2006, 9:01pm »

Ditto to Jonny,

Tabs take way too long to work for a classic cluster.  Autoinjects have been my personal salvation, but you might also consider the nasal spray.

One more tool in the arsenal ...

Hugs,

Kris
IP Logged

I'm a small woman in small town being chased by a VERY BIG BEAST!
Dave
New Board Junior

« Reply #3 on: May 17th, 2006, 9:52pm »

You're right.  Oral triptans work too slowly, especially considering that a typical CH lasts around an hour.  On the other hand, the oral triptans do have a fairly prolonged period of effectiveness.

I have had some success with oral triptans when combining with other abortive methods.  The other method slows it down; then the triptan kicks in and can keep it away for the night.

For some people, O2 inhalation works fairly quickly.  Others (myself included) report significant relief from vigorous exercise like weight lifting.  These methods, if they work for you, may take 5-10 minutes to kick in.  One problem with these abortive methods is the CH often comes back, sometimes as soon as a half hour to an hour later.  That's where taking an oral triptan is useful.  It helps keep it from coming back.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 17th, 2006, 10:00pm »

Or you could just take the tab before bed as a preventitive  Wink
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

thebbz
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Ow,Ow,Ow

Email

« Reply #5 on: May 17th, 2006, 10:40pm »

Ditto all of the above. I had 100mg trex tabs several years ago. They didn't work fast enough until I chewed them up then chased it with coffee. Mixed results even then. I still have them in the dope bag though laugh Get the injectables.
jb
IP Logged

It wasn't me I didn't do it
D_Robinson
New Board Newbie
USA 

Shifter Karts the ulimate rush

« Reply #6 on: May 18th, 2006, 12:38am »

Taking a tab before bed would not be wise.  You will get addicted to it pretty fast and well the rebounds are not fun.  Also my bp was really high when I was on the zomig, and normally even when I was smoking my bp was 110 over 70, and on the zomig I could set  a high score on any bp testing machine.  

The nasal zomig works in about 20 minutes for me and well if I catch it fast enough I was getting relief just as the pain was really building.  The unusal taste was worth the speed.  The tablet would take an hour for me.  I am not a needle person.

The tablet did seem to stay in my system much longer then the nasal spray, which was good from a standpoint of it would keep me headache free for around 12 hours, and the nasal spray would run a few hours shorter sometimes.  

I still would not recommend taking them as a preventative.  I did that in 2003, and well the rebound headaches were allmost as bad as the CHs after 30 days.  It was a really stupid mistake and well had to really work on weaning myself of the zomigs and it was very painful.  I am only eposidic so maybe the rebounds from taking zomig as a preventative had a bit more impact on me since my normal cycle is 4 weeks long.

David
IP Logged
krtman
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #7 on: May 18th, 2006, 8:54am »

Thanks all for your advice.  Had another episode last night and the tab worked in about 15-20 minutes, just in time to keep it from getting real bad.  

By the way, can one of you explain what rebound is all about?
IP Logged
The  mad viking
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Norway 

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life

svennthorn2003@yahoo.no  
WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: May 18th, 2006, 8:59am »

The imitrex-shots takes some 7-9 min to kick in,and as far as i know there is no meds for us clusterheads that start sooner then that.
I think the docs main consern is economy.
Some of the docs are strange in this matter,for some reason

Svenn
IP Logged

Always Look on The Bright Side of Life
JohnM
New Board Hall of Famer
South_Africa 

Detox believer

« Reply #9 on: May 19th, 2006, 5:51am »

I wasted much time and money on Imigran tabs 10 or more years ago. They did nothing much for me. An hour later I was still in agony, and that's if I had not spewed them up by then! I tried them 6 times

The nasal spray was just as useless. Maybe it was my technique but they didn't help a bit. I also tried them 6 times.

All this because I was too chicken to try the injections.

The first time I tried the injection was after being driven home by my wife from a social lunch and I did not have any meds with me and I was really bad. The guys I was with thought I was having a big problem with my red eye tearing badly.

I took the inj as soon as I got in the house and didn't expect it to help much as the tabs and spray had never worked, but 10mins later I was jubilant and totally pain free! The only big problem was getting more from my medical aid who only allowed 2 per month. Useless for a clusterhead!

Jonny I never tried Zomig yet but will keep this in mind if (when) there is a next time. I'm a couple of years PF so far.  Cool

John
« Last Edit: May 19th, 2006, 5:55am by JohnM » IP Logged

Moderation in everything; including moderation!
chewy

Email

« Reply #10 on: May 19th, 2006, 7:11am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Rebounds are low level headaches caused by overuse of medication.
IP Logged
Dave
New Board Junior

« Reply #11 on: May 20th, 2006, 8:47pm »

For all these reasons, taking it easy with the oral triptans and saving them for the really bad attacks is not a bad idea.
IP Logged
NotH20
New Board Hall of Famer

NotH20
Email

« Reply #12 on: Jun 1st, 2006, 1:02pm »

I use the injections during the night and tablets during the day.  The injections work for me shortly after 5 minutes...the tablets take about 15 minutes.  The 50 mg tablets don't work for me unless I'm at the beginning or nearing the end of my 4 month cycle.  Not sure if it helps, but I usually take the pills with warm water  Huh

Mia
IP Logged
rhino
New Board Newbie
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #13 on: Jun 6th, 2006, 11:57pm »

I am having a hell of a bad time now, is it possiable to get caught up in a cycle of rebounding?

My cycle is generally 3 to 4 weeks. I am now 3 months
and no light at the end of this tunnel.  

IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #14 on: Jun 8th, 2006, 8:34pm »

Rhino, I think that is possible.  What are you taking and on what schedule.

krtman, do get ramp up warning signs like twinges or spasms or burning in your eyebrow, upper lip, or chin?  If you do, that would be the time to take the Imitrix tab so that it would have time to get in your system.

You might want to read about Kudzu in the Medication section.  It is a systemic thing, not an abortive.  Many people have had some relief with it, myself included.

Charlotte

« Last Edit: Jun 9th, 2006, 6:52pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss