Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 2:58am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Oxygen with Welding Regulator Question »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Oxygen with Welding Regulator Question
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Oxygen with Welding Regulator Question  (Read 534 times)
MJC
New Board Newbie
USA 

Oxygen with Welding Regulator Question
« on: May 9th, 2006, 6:34pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

Hi, new here.  Had what I thought was really bag migraine headaches about 5 years ago at age 23. I had about 5 or 6 in one month's time.  My doctor prescribed Maxalt.  Armed with my new medication, I got one more attack, took the Maxalt and the pain seemed to subside.  After that one, I had no attacks for the next five years until one week ago today.  Went back to the same doctor to get a new prescription for Maxalt as it seemed to work when I got these headaches before.  Explained to him that now I have gotten them for three days in a row at the same time each day...sometimes two a day, much worse than it was 5 years ago.  He told me I might have cluster headaches and described them like "a bunch of migraines in a short period of time".  Now, it is painfully obvious what these cluster headaches are and they are NOT MIGRAINES.  It is much worse for me now, that it was 5 years ago.  I am hoping my cycle will not be much longer as I am at a low function level.

Well anyway, I found this site and see O2 as a possible abortive measure against these CHs.  I have a welding O2 tank but the regulator that only reads in pressure, not flowrate.  I got a non-rebreather mask from a medical supply place today.  As long as I am breathing pure O2, I should be ok, right?  As in keeping the bag full and the o2 comming out...the lpm doesn't matter, correct?  As long as there is enough.  I mean, I just crack the valve and breath the O2 throught the mask...the bag is always full.  

Does anyone else do it like this?  I'm sure I am getting more O2 than a medical regulator.  I think I will be getting a better fitting mask, however.  Where can I get the clustermasx I hear so much about?
IP Logged
Richr8
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's all about today...

Email

Re: Oxygen with Welding Regulator Question
« Reply #1 on: May 9th, 2006, 6:55pm »

Your method sounds fine.  Just crack the valve enough to fill the bag in between breaths. You don't want to waste the precious O2.

You can order the mask here:

http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~tritech2/clusterx/index.html
IP Logged

pf wishes,

Rich

...because yesterday is history and you never know what tomorrow will bring.
"Med free"- A few seeds and lots of O2-LG but not great.
MJC
New Board Newbie
USA 

« Reply #2 on: May 9th, 2006, 7:21pm »

Thanks for the reply and the link, Rich.
IP Logged
Barry_T_Coles
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

http://mushys.com/kiwi  
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: May 9th, 2006, 10:13pm »

Hi MJC
Welcome to the site you’ll find all the info here to help you through.
Your story sound very much like mine, five year break before coming back again.

Check out the link to o2 to the left.
Below is a couple of links to Mr Happy’s site that will give you an idea of what you need to get the o2 working for you.
As Rich has said you can get away with just keeping the bag full but you may run the risk of the valve icing up because of the restriction.
The info in the links is for Australian suppliers but BOC gases world wide numbers should be uniform.
Make sure you get a flow gauge that will allow 15 litres/ minute and then adjust the flow to suit your requirements.

Link to flow meters etc:
http://www.mushys.com/kiwi/

Link to bubbler:
http://www.mushys.com/kiwi/bubbler2.jpg

Kind Regards
Barry
IP Logged

Worry is like a rocking chair it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.
http://mushys.com/kiwi

[img]
Mr. Happy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

If I can do it, it ain't art.

6108764393 6108764393   Randy   Piscatorus
WWW Email

« Reply #4 on: May 10th, 2006, 12:02am »

Been looking for a cheap welding O2 regulator, just to test drive the puppy. Folks get a little too caught up in the whole flow rate thing. What's too much for one is not enough for another. I've sort of "modified" my regs, so the output is monumental, if needed. It can get a tad tricky for the uninitiated.

As long as you can hook up ye olde O2 hose, and keep the bag as full as needed, there should be no problem. Sorry I can say for sure, as I haven't tried that type of reg, and have no idea of output.

Watch the bag, not the needle.
RJ
IP Logged

May those who don't want any
Have memories of never getting any.
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss