Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 26th, 2024, 9:32am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « Reflexive foot massage »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Cluster Headache Help and Support
   Medications, Treatments, Therapies
(Moderator: DJ)
   Reflexive foot massage
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: Reflexive foot massage  (Read 1230 times)
Marek
New Board Newbie
Poland 

Reflexive foot massage
« on: May 4th, 2006, 12:59pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I've tried using reflexive foot massage after reading about it in a book just for the check of it. I was really surprised when I noticed that the pain got less severe very quickly. I haven't seen the method mentioned here, so I give it for you to try. I would be very happy if it could help even one of you. Hopefully it does for many more Smiley
A point to press for the temple is on the side of the first toe facing the second one and the points for the eye are located on the sole just below the toes - see the picture. The trick is to press these points hard and firmly. You should feel a pain which is greater than that induced just by pressing the skin - the pain for the eye points can be quite intensive, which should give you a clue where to press. Also, after some time, you should feel warmth coming to the pressed places. And of course some relief in your head! Cheesy
I get very good results especially when I combine it with oxygen. For the last few hits it took only about 7 minutes to abort them, with almost no pain involved, except for the twisted leg Smiley
The massage also helps me when I haven't got oxygen with me, although it's only partially effective - I haven't noticed the hits to shorten, but nevertheless it takes a few KIP of the scale.
If you can't twist your leg or sitting is too painful for you I'd try twisting your sole and bending the first toe outside as if the points were actually pushed - it helps as well.
I'd also recommend massaging these points between the hits, as it's said to make the organs stronger.
I haven't used the method long enough to experiment with the other points, for instance I still feel the normal occasional pain in the cheek (when it gets paralysed), as I haven't noticed a point which I should press in this case. Maybe one of you will figure this out. It's probably somewhere on the first toe.

regards
Marek
« Last Edit: May 5th, 2006, 10:05am by Marek » IP Logged
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

Re: Reflexive foot massage
« Reply #1 on: May 10th, 2006, 1:40pm »

Thank you, Marek.

I printed it out but I haven't had a chance to try it, yet.

Charlotte
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #2 on: May 11th, 2006, 1:03pm »

Do you have to do both feet or is the right foot for right sided hits and the left foot for left siders?
IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #3 on: May 11th, 2006, 7:41pm »

Hello Marek,
I've never heard of such a treatment but if it works even a little then go for it.

But, if it proves to be ineffective, let's just keep it to ourselves. I'm going to tell the wife that it really works and I need her help.

"Hey Hon, rub my toes. I have a headache."

I'm getting excited just thinking about it.  Grin
IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
Charlotte
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

Email

« Reply #4 on: May 11th, 2006, 8:02pm »

You know, whatever works, even a little.  Right.

You can tell her it helps to rub the back of your neck, in the middle, too.

Are you the Bob married to Sarah?

Charlotte
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006, 8:18pm by Charlotte » IP Logged
BobG
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: May 11th, 2006, 8:27pm »

on May 11th, 2006, 8:02pm, Charlotte wrote:

Are you the Bob married to Sarah?

No, my wife is Renon. Bob P is married to Sarah.
How can you tell us apart, you ask? He's the tall, handsome, rich, well educated, California stud.
I'm the other one.
 Wink
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006, 8:28pm by BobG » IP Logged

Stay stressed. Never relax. Never sleep. Ever.
chewy

Email

« Reply #6 on: May 11th, 2006, 8:51pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

CH is the most intense pain known to man.

Rubbing my feet eases the pain.

Somehow I'm just not making the connection.
IP Logged
Jonny
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Give me a shovel Ill dig my own grave!

WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: May 11th, 2006, 9:03pm »

on May 11th, 2006, 8:51pm, chewy wrote:

It has to do with the Tri-nerve thingy that goes from your brain to ones foot.

Com'on....get with it, Bro!
IP Logged

It is up to YOU to educate yourself and then help your doctor plan your treatment. If you just sit down in front of your doctor and say "make me better" you are setting yourself up for a great deal of pain.

- Guiseppi

Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

« Reply #8 on: May 11th, 2006, 9:34pm »

on May 11th, 2006, 8:51pm, chewy wrote:
CH is the most intense pain known to man.

Rubbing my feet eases the pain.

The foot bone's connected to the leg bone.
The leg bone's connected to the hip bone.
The hip bone's connected to the....

You get the picture.
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
Ueli

Email

« Reply #9 on: May 11th, 2006, 10:17pm »

Some readings on reflexology:  Click here and also Click here.

Excellent reading for generally Distinguishing Science and Pseudoscience.

As an answer to Quote:
You know, whatever works, even a little.
a quote from the last link:
Joe Blow puts jello on his head and his headache goes away. To pseudoscience, this means jello cures headaches. To science this means nothing, since no experiment was done. Many things were going on when Joe Blow's headache went away - the moon was full, a bird flew overhead, the window was open, Joe had on his red shirt, etc. - and his headache would have gone away eventually in any case, no matter what.

Beware!
Ueli                  smokin

IP Logged
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #10 on: May 11th, 2006, 10:29pm »

I suppose that it might make your feet feel good. Otherwise I'm with Ueli.  

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
floridian

Email

« Reply #11 on: May 11th, 2006, 10:59pm »

Vigorous massage, especially of connective tissue, can lead to moderate increases of blood levels of endorphins and other feel good molecules, along with a reduction in stress related hormones.  That is one way that the feet are connected to the trigeminal nerve.  I don't think it would do more than bring the pain down half a Kip or so, if it helps at all. But there could be something of a real effect for some people.  

Besides, what else you gonna do between dances when getting hit ? - no harm in massaging the feet.  Certainly better than head-banging, which probably also releases endorphins or distracts from the main pain (but causes other problems). I would go for a massage of the entire foot, with emphasis on spots that are stiff or tender.  

There's another mechanism of non-endorphin pain relief caused by counter-irritation:  

Quote:
Brain Res. 2000 Apr 17;862(1-2):103-10.      The pain inhibiting pain effect: an electrophysiological study in humans.

Reinert A, Treede R, Bromm B. Institute of Physiology, University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg, Germany.

This study examines the counterirritation phenomenon of experimental pain in human subjects. Phasic pain induced by intracutaneous electrical stimuli was simultaneously applied with tonic pain induced by ischemic muscle work. Pain ratings, spontaneous EEG and evoked potentials were measured. We found a significant reduction of phasic pain ratings during and 10 min after tonic pain. The late somatosensory evoked potentials as neurophysiological correlates of phasic pain sensation were attenuated until 20 min after tonic pain offset. The extent of phasic pain relief due to concomitant tonic pain was small but significant, comparable to the effect of a regular systemic dose of a narco-analgesic drug in this experimental pain model. On the other hand, no modulations in the late components of the auditory evoked potential and the power spectrum of the spontaneous EEG were observed. These variables reflect the attention and vigilance of the subject and are well-known to be affected by opioids. The only exception was an increase of beta power, which might reflect hyperarousal during tonic pain. These results support the suggestion, that the analgesic effect of heterotopic noxious stimulation in humans is based on the activation of a specific inhibitory pain control system. Systemic release of endogenous opioids is unlikely to be involved, because the typical effects of opioids on the EEG were not observed.
« Last Edit: May 11th, 2006, 11:04pm by floridian » IP Logged
Marek
New Board Newbie
Poland 

« Reply #12 on: May 12th, 2006, 10:29am »

Quote:

I printed it out but I haven't had a chance to try it, yet.  
Charlotte

I wish no one had a need to try it... But hopefully it will help you, Charlotte Smiley

Quote:
Do you have to do both feet or is the right foot for right sided hits and the left foot for left siders?

I'm a left sider and I massage just my left foot with one hand while holding the O2 mask with the other, but yesterday I was without oxygen and massaged both feet when hit - the effect was much better. Best of luck to you too, Bob P Smiley

As for the other comments - like I've said before, it helps me reduce the pain, so I don't keep it to myself. You want to try it - great, you don't - fine with me.
IP Logged
Bob P
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Shut up Bob!

WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: May 12th, 2006, 4:09pm »

Quote:
How can you tell us apart, you ask? He's the tall, handsome, rich, well educated, California stud.  
I'm the other one.

Knock 60 pounds off me and I'd be BobG's identical twin.

BTW - my question was serious.  Does my left foot effect the left side of my head?
« Last Edit: May 12th, 2006, 4:35pm by Bob P » IP Logged

Mrs. Barlow, I never, and I repeat never, ever pissed in your steam iron.

"SHUT UP HUB!"
Marek
New Board Newbie
Poland 

« Reply #14 on: May 13th, 2006, 6:35am »

Quote:
BTW - my question was serious.  Does my left foot effect the left side of my head?

My answer was serious as well. I've tried the left foot for the left side and it helps. I've also massaged both soles simultanously - it works better. But I've also seen some diagrams where the left foot is connected to the right head side and vice versa.
If you manage to stay calm while squating I'd recommend trying massaging both soles to see if it works for you.
IP Logged
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss