Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Jun 18th, 2024, 7:33am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « So, who here goes camping? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   Daily Chat
   General Posts
(Moderator: DJ)
   So, who here goes camping?
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: So, who here goes camping?  (Read 1259 times)
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Gone Crazy. Be back soon.

So, who here goes camping?
« on: Apr 30th, 2008, 5:12pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

I'm getting the fever!!!  The first time we'll make it out this year is when we go to Spooner (far northwest WI).  I'm nervous about camping with Ava, but we're gonna wing it and see how it goes!

Smiley
IP Logged

DON'T WORRY ABOUT NOTTIN - NOTTIN IS ALRIGHT

My mosaic Crosses on Etsy: http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5494187
Brew
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Low Four!

Re: So, who here goes camping?
« Reply #1 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 5:27pm »

Camping? I think I did that once. You're talking about a Hilton without a pool, right?
IP Logged

Always remember that you're unique, just like everyone else.
jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #2 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 5:46pm »

Yeah,

To me the "Great Outdoors" is where the car is parked! Cheesy

Have fun!

Jimmers
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hearing is one thing.  Listening is another.

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #3 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 5:52pm »

LOL....I'm with Brew and Jimmers.

"Roughing it"  does NOT appeal to me in the slightest.

dirt, mosquitoes, outhouses, flies, ants, burnt food, loud neighbors all around...yeah, sounds lovely.   Grin
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Jackie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Go For It!!!

Email

« Reply #4 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 5:55pm »

Did that when the kids were little....it was fun then.
Now my camping consists of a nice hotel with a lounge..... Smiley

It's great fun for the kids....as long as they're having fun you will too.....enjoy!!!

Much love,
Jackie
IP Logged
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #5 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 5:58pm »

Ahhhhhhhhhh, Spooner is an experience where you go once, and you want to return year after year.  Driveway to the shack is a 1/2 mile back in the woods to a clearing that is right on the water of Rice Lake.  Bonfires, howling, drinking while lounging on floaties and panfish bigger than your hand are what awaits!  There is a portapottie (used to be an outhouse), but I prefer my luggable loo. Smiley  Inside the shack you pump the water from a well and gas powers the fridge, lights and stove.  We have our pop-up camper due to Jesse's asthma problems, so we're spoiled in that aspect, but we did many years in a tent too.

The place is an eden and in the mornings, when there is a haze on the lake that looks like glass, you can see and hear the Loons calling.  It's exciting too when you hear a big bass jump. Cheesy

Oh, and it's hiliarious watching your extended family try and filet fish under the influence and your husbands Aunt down a bottle of Tequila Rose in one afternoon. Shocked  Did I mention my First Aid kit never gets a rest? Grin

I wish I could bring you all there with me...
IP Logged

Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #6 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 6:08pm »

Post pics of the loons.

All of them.
IP Logged

Kindness, is gladdening the hearts of those who are traveling the dark journey with us.
Melissa
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

« Reply #7 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 6:11pm »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 6:08pm, Linda_Howell wrote:

All of them.

grin2
IP Logged

barry_sword
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

Mountain Biking Keeps Me Sane

WWW Email

« Reply #8 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 6:15pm »

Sounds like a great time Mel. We used to camp all the time but as time went on we did it less and less.

Our campsite now has a deck, full size BBQ, great tunes, beer frig with food, hot shower with a real toilet, comfy bed, no bugs, and a HD system for the Sunday races. Now that is roughing it! laugh

I really do miss it now that spring is here. Smiley
IP Logged

QUIT SMOKING SEPT. 03 2005,

http://barrysword.blogspot.com

cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #9 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 6:36pm »

I love camping!

26 days till we get outta Dodge for a while.

Love camping right outside of Woodstock, NY.

The one campsite we had was about 20 feet from a beautiful mountain stream.  Woke up each morning, grabbed a hot cup of java, plopped my butt in a chair and watched the people fishing and floating by in their canoes.

Gotta get back up to NY State soon....sigh.

IP Logged
Linda_Howell
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

N/A   N/A
WWW Email

« Reply #10 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 7:32pm »

Uh-huh....but Cyn, camping in an RV is a tad different then sleeping on the ground.  In a damp soggy tent. in the cold.  with the bears and the loons and the wolves around ya.   Wink

IP Logged

cynjeep89
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 8:27pm »

I like tent camping, too and remember the bugs, snakes and a visit from a skunk.  It goes with the territory  Smiley

IP Logged
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #12 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 8:50pm »

A bit of pre-planning goes a long way, too, as a lot of meals can be par-cooked in advance which makes it so much easier in camp (corned beef, roasts, some veges and the like). Always taking care of hygiene, of course.

Using lots of onion and/or garlic keeps bacteria to a minimum as does the use of paper plates and disposable cutlery. How we ever cooked in the bush before the advent of aluminium foil I don't know, but remember to take extra.

Most important of all, after the beer, is popcorn to cook in the evening.
IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
Tara Ann
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

It's always darkest before the dawn.

tara_ann_77  
WWW Email

« Reply #13 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:00pm »

Camping?! gocrazy If I ever go again it will be way too soon!  

Used to love it though.

But I went with the kids as babies, toddlers, and on up and it went pretty well for the most part.  I'm sure it will be a good thing with little Ava.  All that fresh air, she should sleep well.
« Last Edit: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:02pm by Tara Ann » IP Logged

http://www.myspace.com/taraann77
Argonaut
New Board Newbie
Australia 

The guitar fiend.

« Reply #14 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:16pm »

I love camping but don't do enough! Don't mind roughing it, to be honest. When I'm out in nature, it makes me feel more centred and - this will be my inner hippy speaking - more at one with the world. It's easy to forget the finer things in life due to all the distractions of the modern world.  

Most of my camping experiences have been at various music festivals. There's always a great atmosphere, lots of relaxed people, and lots of stories. There was one memorable experience where I joined an impromptu campfire party where there was about 5 guitars [I was one], a ukelele, a saxophone, a blues harp and 20+ people singing. That lasted well over six hours and I got very drunk  Grin

IP Logged

Hic sunt dracones.

"A poet is not an apostle; he drives out devils only by the power of the devil."
Mosaicwench
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Find joy in your day

WWW Email

« Reply #15 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:34pm »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 5:27pm, Brew wrote:
Camping? I think I did that once. You're talking about a Hilton without a pool, right?

God, but I love that man!!!

The closest I get to camping is pitching our tent for micro-brew and his friends in the back yard.   We can roast marshmallows in the fire-pit and then come inside the house to air-conditioning, indoor plumbing, a comfortable mattress and no neighbors.

Mama don't camp - ever.
IP Logged

The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter. ~Author Unknown
HappyElaine
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Veteran
USA 

I love YaBB 1G - SP1!

« Reply #16 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 9:44pm »

Go for it Mel and have a good time !
IP Logged

Fear less, hope more;
Whine less, breathe more;
Talk less, say more;
Hate less, love more;
And all good things are yours.

Member of ch.com and OUCH since 1999
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #17 on: Apr 30th, 2008, 10:45pm »

Camping?  Yeah, I do that.

Tent camping mostly, in connection with my fly-fishing jaunts.  Sometimes the others come along, sometimes not.  

Last summer I camped up along the Secesh River by myself for a couple days.  Ended up being kept awake all night by a porcupine who kept coming back to chew on the tent ropes.  Couple hours sleep, then--"twang"...."twang"...all over again.  It's very difficult to discourage a porcupine, and it's not as though you can swat it, or anything.

Here's something I wrote a few years ago about my most memorable camping trip--ever--when I taught a fly-fishing class to a group of kids in conjunction with my daughter's summer-school program:

http://www.virtualflybox.com/articles/article.php?id=25

Can't do it anymore, though...the insurance company didn't like it.   Cry

Ah well--there's still kids to teach, and kids friends, and grandchildren one day, perhaps....

Have a great time, Mel.  Sounds like a wonderful place, and your description of the place makes me want to go.

Best wishes,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
kayarr
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

kayarr2k  
Email

« Reply #18 on: May 1st, 2008, 1:24am »

Neat article George.  I am going to have my Dad teach me to fly fish.  He is in the hospital recovering from a partial knee replacement but will be back at the river as soon as possible I am sure.
IP Logged

Nothing is impossible! Just believe!!!!!
George_J
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

White-Breasted Nuthatch

Email

« Reply #19 on: May 1st, 2008, 1:33am »

on May 1st, 2008, 1:24am, kayarr wrote:
Neat article George.  I am going to have my Dad teach me to fly fish.  He is in the hospital recovering from a partial knee replacement but will be back at the river as soon as possible I am sure.

Well--you know there's an open invitation to anyone here who happens to find themselves in Idaho to go on a fishing trip, eh?  I can show you some country.

Just putting that out there.  Wink

All the best,

George
IP Logged

Ah! The foreigners put on such airs
Wearing the tangerine suits
And their harlequin eyes.
The pain they inspire
Draws in harmonica melodies
And the feathers of birds
Which flame up at their touch.
It all comes to light in the sheer
Debonair.
(Ellen)
AussieBrian
New Board Hall of Famer
Australia 

Got beer?

« Reply #20 on: May 1st, 2008, 2:18am »

While camping should be fun, there's no reason that it can't also be a great adventure and a learning experience.  One of the jobs most people hate is commonly the catering but this can actually be made the highlight of the whole trip.

I cook extensively in the bush, over an open fire and often for quite large groups, and what you can't do with a camp oven probably isn't worth doing anyway.  

I believe the same thing in America is called a Dutch oven, that is, a heavy cast-iron cook pot with a lid, but here in Oz we've taken things a bit further and my particular favourite is the Bedouri which is made from spun steel instead so it's less fragile and far more versatile.

They need only a tiny fire to turn out the bestest ever roast beef and three veg, use them as saucepan for soups and stews or as a steamer, flip over the lid and there's your frying pan and so the list goes on.

Aussie damper is pretty much a poor man's bread, compulsory with every meal, and can easily be practised beforehand in your camp oven at home.  In camp, it's a great way to get the youngsters involved.

PM me anytime for recipes or specific details of meals but in the meantime I've found this site http://www.aussiecampovencook.com/index.htm which I'm going to spend a bit of time going through myself.

After the meal, of course, there's the beer.  And while that's happening a camp oven over an open fire in the bush makes the best popcorn that ever walked.  

Add a starry night, good company and a song and you'll see why I have trouble with cities.

Cheers and beers,

Brian out back.

IP Logged

Vulcrania horrendus - twice daily, then two at night in lieu of sleep.
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #21 on: May 1st, 2008, 2:41am »

Ah, CAMPING!  I used to do a lot of it, in my day, so to speak ...

With the wife and brats ... ummm ... I mean kids, we started tent camping, then went to a tent trailer, then a full size 17 1/2 foot trailer, then a 24 footer, then a 35 footer, then down to a 25 footer, and then the wife decided it was time to down size, so we did .. we bought a 28 footer with two slide outs!

We had some GREAT times camping!

I was also the scout master in town, and used to take the boys on a LOT of camping trips, all in tents.

I had a rule with the boy scouts, though, they were only allowed to cook beans and hot dogs or hamburgers on one meal.  The rest had to be bigger and better.

We cooked full turkeys, chickens, cakes, bread, pies, hams, roasts, poor man's stew and lots of other neat things!  GREAT learning experience for the guys, (and ME too!)

One of the greatest things we cooked was meat loaf.  Bring cantelope along, then cut it in half, eat the meat out of it, and then fill the shell with your meat loaf, wrap in foil, and then place onto hot coals.  YUMMY!  And NO pans to clean up!

We even went out camping one weekend, in the winter, where it got down to 14 degrees F, BELOW zero!  No one got a cold, or had any trouble keeping warm, even at night, on the ground, in a tent.  It is called proper planning and execution!

Ah, the good old days!!!

But now I am with Brew and Mosaicwench ... A Hilton with hot tub and warm (or cool) room with a soft, comfy bed!

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
jimmers
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hello GOD! The gene pool needs some chlorine!

« Reply #22 on: May 1st, 2008, 8:00am »

Actually Mel we do go camping. Our tent is 16"X80', three bedrooms,, two full baths, air conditioning and satellite TV with the Milwaukee local stations and a deck to sit on and drink lemonade Wink

I just love to stroll through the woods on the 4-wheeler, gets a guy pretty tired ya know, whew! Cheesy

Jimmers who hopes the raspberries and apples grow bigger this year.
IP Logged

I don't suffer from INSANITY; I'm enjoying every minute of it!
BarbaraD
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Hugs to ya

Email

« Reply #23 on: May 1st, 2008, 8:28am »

Since it's no one but US here -- I'll tell my "camping" story.  

Back when I was "young" (and yes I can remember back that far), Bill and I had been living in Europe for a couple of years. When we got back to the states all our friends were talking about the vacations they'd taken. NOT to be outdone, I shot my mouth off - "Oh Bill and I spent two weeks on the Riveria and had a great time." NEVER did I mention to anyone that we spent it in a TENT with blow up air-matteresses that deflated each night.  Cheesy    

Hey, we were RIGHT on the beach and it WAS beautiful and we didn't know no different - there were beautiful hotels all around... I NEVER lied about anything ..  

Spent a LOT of time camping when we were YOUNG --(and not so young). Remember when we graduated from that old tent to a pop-up camper -- Happy Dayz!!! (no more creepy crawlies visiting during the night) And then to the self contained camper - wow!! The motor home was heaven (just sold it a couple of months ago).  

Have fun Mel...  

Hugs BD
IP Logged

What don't kill ya, Makes ya stonger!

Grandma_Sweet_Boy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
Canada 

What Goes Around Comes Around!

« Reply #24 on: May 1st, 2008, 8:32am »

on Apr 30th, 2008, 9:34pm, Mosaicwench wrote:
Mama don't camp - ever.

Pat said it for me too! Wink  Creature comforts - my version of camping!

Carol
IP Logged
Pages: 1 2  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss