Yet Another Bulletin Board

Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register.
Sep 29th, 2024, 3:23am

Home Home Help Help Search Search Members Members Member Map Member Map Login Login Register Register
Clusterheadaches.com Message Board « initial appt with neuro?? »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board
   New Message Board Archives
   Oct-Dec 2003
(Moderator: DJ)
   initial appt with neuro??
« Previous topic | Next topic »
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print
   Author  Topic: initial appt with neuro??  (Read 313 times)
Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

initial appt with neuro??
« on: Nov 29th, 2003, 11:07pm »
Quote Quote Modify Modify

dear lifesavers during my time of pain,

i have my first appt. with a neuro this coming wednesday.  it is with the houston headache clinic's dallas office...figure that out?

anyway...i was finally diagnosed with CH after 7 years of lots of continual ha and neckaches.  The e.r. doc gave me a shot of pred with pain meds and the ha went away, for 2 whole days..yippee.  I have all the symptoms now that I've researched CH...droopy eye, stuffy nostril, pain over eye and side of head...all occuring only of left side...ALWAYS!  

I'm not sleeping thru the night and when I am asleep i'm having nightmares of what the initial appt might be like....you know, brain tumor, etc. etc.

what i'm asking is....what is the consensus out there for what tests are done and/or how the initial neuro appt goes, etc etc...typical first meds....etc.  

please help soothe my anxiety because dealing with the ha is enough without the nightmares and unknown coming up on wednesday.

i hope your thanksgiving brought lots of full tummies, heavy eyes and pain free days.

renee (aka txcowgirl)   Huh
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

Callico
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Proud Dad of a US Marine!

Email

Re: initial appt with neuro??
« Reply #1 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 12:12am »

Hi Renee,

First thing I would do is go to the meicical info button on the left of this screen and click on it.  Follow it down and click on all of the topics that you think are pertinant and read, read, read.  Once you have read and at least somewhat understood what you are reading you can go into the appointment knowing that you know as much as most Drs. that you will ever see.  I am NOT denigrating Drs. as a whole in saying that, but it is unfortunately true.  However, in seeing a Neuro from a headache clinic you should have someone who is at least somewhat knowlegeable about CH, but you will be able to discuss your case from a position of knowlege and understanding, and not feel like you are merely a guinea pig.

As far as the tests, I would expect to undergo an MRI and an MRA.  Both of them are painless, just boring.

The meds prescribed will probably include the usual mix of preventatives and abortives, but much of that will be trial and error, because no two clusterheads that I know of react the same way to the meds.  One thing I would insist upon is a prescription for O2.  It works for many of us, and has no side effects.  

Wish you the best!
Jerry
IP Logged

"When He acts on the left, I cannot behold Him; He turns on the right I cannot see Him. But He knows the way that I take; when He has tried me I shall come forth as gold." Job23:9,10
BlueMeanie

Email

« Reply #2 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 12:16am »
Quote Quote Modify Modify Remove Remove

Renee,

I wouldn't worry a thing about going to the neuro. My 1st CAT scan was a closed one (makes you kinda clostraphobic). I had another a few years ago that was an open CAT scan. Modern technology. As far as anything else, I would guess you will just be put on different meds. It takes a lot of time & visits to come up with something that works. You may want to ask for O2 to start with for quick relief at night. Anything else should just be questioneers, blood tests and such just to make sure your CH are not something else.

Welcome to Headache Hell. Sending vibes for PFDAN.
IP Logged
ClusterChuck
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

The BEAST rises again, and again, and again, and .

Email

« Reply #3 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 12:45am »

Simple, just remember: MRI; MRA; CAT scan: and O2 (oxygen).

After that, talk about verapamil (preventative) and imitrex (abortive).  Verapamil, Imitrex, and O2 are the most popular drugs.

Good luck, and keep us informed!

Chuck
IP Logged

"No man can be happy without a friend, nor be sure of his friend till he is unhappy."
Thomas Fuller
Roxy
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Email

« Reply #4 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 12:54am »

Renee, don't worry about the appt.  I've been there and done that.  They will do all kinds of tests on you...they'll even do a sonagram of your head....with all that nice gel in your hair.  They did an eye test on me....my cluster side eye droops a little bit...etc.  It's really not bad at all, and they do it all in-house, so you don't have to go to another lab or anywhere.

He gave me 02, imitrex and verapamil to start off with.  They will do right by you, so sleep easy on that thought.

Let me know how it goes.....and if he mentions botox....say NO!!

Tracey
IP Logged

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. (Einstein)

I used to have a handle on life....but it broke.
jonny

Email

« Reply #5 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 1:00am »

Chill babe.....at most you will be bored....thats it!

............................jonny
IP Logged
Rick_K
New Board Old Timer
USA 

« Reply #6 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 3:06pm »

I first went to Dr. Mathew in 1998 and had a cat scan right in his office.  Both Mathew or his associate (I can never remember her name) will do you right.  Don’t let the looks of the office bother you, kind of dumpy, they know their stuff and will give you the meds you need.  He tried to get me to go to Houston for some kind of, in the hospital, drip treatment but I could not bring myself to try that.  Since they are only in Dallas once a week I have had to wait a month to get in.  Thankfully my regular doctor will give me oxygen and imatrex with just a phone call.  I trained him right.

Good luck on your appointment just be sure you understand him, he has always taken the time to answer all my questions.  One more thing, always use the Dallas phone number it transfers to Houston when they are not in town so you don’t half to pay long distance charges just to talk with his office.

Rick
IP Logged

episodic since 1969........damn
Little Deb
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Please SPAY and NEUTER all dogs, cats and idiots!

debbie4278  
WWW Email

« Reply #7 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 4:19pm »

Hi Renee,

Like everyone said, chill.  You are getting uptight for nothing.  If you are lucky, you might get a doc that will listen a little, and give you some valuable info and help.  If not, you will get an airhead who babbles some stuff, says take these samples and see me again in 2-3 weeks.

Anyway, go to the OUCH site and look for the forms that your doc can sign for you if you need treatment in the ER again, so you don't get treated like a narcotic seeking, hypochondriac, whiner.  

Let us know how you make out.

Little Deb (still searching for a cluster smart doc) Sad
IP Logged

Adopt a shelter pet!
don

Email

« Reply #8 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 4:44pm »

To my knowledge there is no diagnostic test FOR CH.

Only diagnostics to discount other types and causes.
 The diagnosis depends on three things.

1. The neuros familiarity with CH.

2. You teaching him if he don't.

3 His/Her's willingness to listen and learn
IP Logged
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Episodic CH since 11 yrs old, now 39.

Email

« Reply #9 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 6:50pm »

Renee,
First of all, expect the neuro knows nothing, few do.  It is your responsibility to yourself to action.  Read a thread I started a couple months back in this general post section titled "Educating the neurologist."  I'm confident you will find it of help.  In short, I was nervous prior to my visit and after I left felt bvery pleased.  The MRI, MRA, CAT Scan are all typical head tests.  Some insurance companies, like mine, will not find CH's symptoms to warrant the test and they will deny you.  I am appealling my denial.  Most of the time, those tests do not find a thing.  I would pack your ammo bag with a cluster quiz filled out (click on right side of screen) and some very basic symptoms and treatment info about CH's to educate your doctor.  I would DEMAND a script or oxygen (see right side of screen for what you will require) and also Imitrex injections, nasal spray and pill form prescriptions.  If one runs out, you may have an alternative.  Again, insurance companies sometimes limit quantities, so at least you may have an alterntive abortive medication.  As for preventatives, the most common are Prednisone and Verapamil.  Narcotics and OTC medications are not as worthy and often innefective for treatment.  Read as much as you can here and on the OUCH board and you will be fine.  The biggest thing to remember is if you have questions or need to vent, we are here for you.  Check the archives on "Educating the neurologist." Good luck and try to relax, it will go fine as long as you are educated which will bring you confidence.  Good luck,
Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Wishing all a Pain Free 2008!
LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #10 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 6:56pm »

Renee,
These links may help you...

http://www.upstate.edu/neurology/haas/hpclrx.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/380497.stm

Gregg in Las Vegas

IP Logged

LasVegas
New Board Veteran
USA 

Email

« Reply #11 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 7:25pm »

Renee,
Here is the "educating the Neurologist" thread last posting was Nov 1st on this General Post section...lots of replies, should be good reading for you...copy and paste this.....

http://www.clusterheadaches.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?board=general;acti on=display;num=1066202311

Gregg in Las Vegas
IP Logged

Renee
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

May we all find some pf time!  Is it summer yet?

Email

« Reply #12 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 8:38pm »

Gregg and all the rest,

Thanks for all the input.  I will have both guns armed when i go in on wed. now.  i went thru all the links gregg supplied plus the thread and will print out most and take with me.

Not sure whether it will be needed or not as I know Roxy goes to the same clinic already and they are CH treaters.

i feel a bit better but will feel best after it is over and i see how i react to any side effects of meds and get some help with this pain.  if i am pf, which is not very often, i fall asleep from just taking 2 aleve..thus i have very low tolerance for side effects.

will update y'all once i see the neuro on wednesday.

thanks for your input, advice and support.  i was SO lost before I found y'all.

renee
IP Logged

23 years of battling the beast, 9 years chronic......uneducated docs/nurses make me irate.
The fungus among us is for real!

TxBasslady
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Bass fishin' is a h00t  It's the catchin' that sux

Email

« Reply #13 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 9:50pm »

Renee,

You are gonna do jus fine at the doc on Wed.   Wink

You and I talk alot.....I don't think things could get much worse  Huh
So, keep your chin up about the doc visit, sweetie.  I think alot of good will come of it. Grin

I plan to call you before your dr visit....then I will most definitely talk to you afterwards. Wink

Hang in there!!!!!!!  Just a couple more days to go.  You CAN do this.  Wink

Love and pf vibes to ya...

Jean
IP Logged

How lucky I am... to have known someone who was so hard to say goodbye too.

Take a kid fishin
www.takemefishin.org

I adopted a Vietnam POW/MIA from El Paso, Texas!
Charlie
CH.com Alumnus
New Board Hall of Famer
USA 

Happy to be here

135447360 135447360   mondocharlie   mondocharlie
Email

« Reply #14 on: Nov 30th, 2003, 10:16pm »

Not to worry. As a rule, neurologists are an odd bunch. They tend to think no one has anything in the gray matter they are paid to examine. They're usually quiet and the kind of guy you'd find alone in a back booth at the diner.  

Jonny is right. There is nothing so painless or as boring as a neurological exam.  

Good luck and fill us in on all the dope afterwards.... Wink

Charlie
IP Logged

There is nothing more satisfying than being shot at without result---Winston Churchill
Pages: 1  Reply Reply Notify of replies Notify of replies Send Topic Send Topic Print Print

« Previous topic | Next topic »

Clusterheadaches.com Message Board » Powered by YaBB 1 Gold - SP 1.3.1!
YaBB © 2000-2003. All Rights Reserved.

©1998-2010 Web Vision Enterprises All rights reserved. All information on this site is protected by international copyright laws. You may not re-distribute any information from this site without written permission from Web Vision Enterprises and the webmaster of this site. Violators will be prosecuted.
You may view our privacy policy and financial disclosure statement here

test rss